The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Inverted coilover struts vs standard - anything out there but Ohlins?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I've been reading for about 2 weeks now and there is a ton of great information I have not seen anywhere else on the internet for Mustang racing.

My first question, i'm about to spring for a new set of coilovers and adjustable stabars and I need help deciding on the correct set for my budget, what do you recommend? Is there a difference between Inverted and standard on the track? on the street? (I have the stabar part down as that's what I do for a living is engineer springs, bushings, and bars.. Mustang stabars coming out of my ears and littering my garage with squeaky warranty returns)

I don't know enough about coilovers and I'm now realizing that Inverted like Ohlins are supposed to be far superior for un-sprung weight, durability, and in general they are the newer tech.

Ohlins are $9000!!! Jri from Cortex are about $4200, and Vorschlag MCS are only $3400. The later two are in my price range but they are not inverted. Sent an email to Alex at T&A because he discusses inverted shock benefits on the front page of his site (Their shop is also in Northville only 20min from my house in Dearborn).

Car is a 2012 GT BBP with a bunch of road race focused mods.

Help appreciated

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Not sure if inverted really matters or not.

I am also looking at JRi doubles from Cortex (and as of today, Maximum Motorsports) and MCS doubles from Vorshlag; these would be for a competition application.

What I do know is the serious cars that Cortex runs run the JRi doubles, non-remotes. That's a pretty solid endorsement for their performance.

I can't justify the cost of Ohlins either. Running single-adjustable KWs right now; performance is good but I think I'm ready for more knobs and a more race-oriented damper.

It is my understanding that the biggest advantage of inverted is to be able to fit a wider wheel on the front. This is what drove this design. There may be some other advantages I am missing. So as long as you are not limited on your wheel width in your class, and you want to run the widest wheel you can fit up front, I say go for it.

The unsprung weight is also a consideration but I think you'd be challenged to notice the difference on a 3,600 lb car.

As for clearance the CorteX front struts can be ordered with the offset and the rear damper mounts are setup to keep the dampers inboard. CorteX runs 315's on all four corners with plenty of clearance. CorteX is involved with both CTSCC and PWC racing series not to mention the SCCA Spec Mustang class, SMG, and others so their products take a pounding. They are local to me which is nice.

Do you have a link to the article you're referring to?

NFSBOSS said:
The unsprung weight is also a consideration but I think you'd be challenged to notice the difference on a 3,600 lb car.

As for clearance the CorteX front struts can be ordered with the offset and the rear damper mounts are setup to keep the dampers inboard. CorteX runs 315's on all four corners with plenty of clearance. CorteX is involved with both CTSCC and PWC racing series not to mention the SCCA Spec Mustang class, SMG, and others so their products take a pounding. They are local to me which is nice.

Do you have a link to the article you're referring to?

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/123318-question-inverted-vs-standard-shocks.html

I agree the cortex stuff is beyond capable. But with a heavy front end and bumpy high speed tracks the extra stiffness and side load resistance provided by inverted might be worth it.

Alex from T&A agrees and he did get back with me right away. If I can get a rebuilt used set or less expensive inverted front set only for a reasonable price the extra stiction due to the larger seal friction might be worth it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ilesjohn said:
cortex koni front, jri rear

John--what's the reason for the split? Are your Konis single-adjustables?

And yes, "next year" isn't all that far away :)

I will be making a couple trips out to California in 2015 to race with our LeMons turd Crown Vic and also the Mustang w/ NASA. Might come run with you guys in SCCA depending on the best dates vs. my availability, since my NASA license is essentially transferrable there. It would be nice to meet up and talk Mustangs (or go door-to-door :) ).

--Drew

The DA JRI's are inverted also.

Drew when I set up the car Cortex was still developing the JRI DA strut so we went with the DA Koni. The JRI undoubtedly is a better damper & is re-buldable, the Koni cartrige is relatively inexpensive and are throw away if they go bad

I have cortex singles on my boss along with 315 bfg rivals and couldn't be happier with everything! And plan on using cortex on my 69 fastback build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFSBOSS said:
John, congratulations on your 5th place finish in the SCCA T1 runoffs!

10712904_960697947279407_6968265133169319816_n.jpg

Thanks for the link. I think it's challenging to make an affordable inverted front strut for the Mustang but I'm sure they are out there. The CorteX JRi rear's are inverted, at least the single adjustable that I'm looking at is.

10404304_893782413970961_2558710593585815051_n.jpg

That looks like a full size 25mm Boss rear stabar. Any idea why they are running such a huge rear bar on a car w coilover race setup? You would think the oversteer would be extreme..

I was planning to buy 18, 20, and 22mm bars for the rear tuning.

TMO Supporting Vendors