The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

IRS on the BOSS??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well going out on a limb here.....
People say IRS is great for Road racing no?
I might have an IRS out of a 03 Cobra fall on my lap. Anyone put an IRS on a BOSS or is this something I should just let go and not look back at?

IMHO that 03 IRS is worth a few bucks since it's the 31 spline terminator model (I have several, always looking for more) and it was a great improvement over the stick axle ..no matter what maximum motorsports says. That being said, the Boss was designed to be a BMW killer with the stick axle, and they handle extremely well. Whenever we have gone to HPDE events with our GS cars the locals always comment on how well our (relatively stock) cars handle so.....I'm not sure that this investment would be worthwhile to engineer into the Boss at your level of expertise (not trying to be a jerk here). One other point, at some time these cars will be collectible, a friend of mine bought her 70 boss 302 in 82 for $4500, now decent ones are pushing 100k ..maybe more so modify at your own risk.

Yes, thanks for the info guys. It's just something spur of the moment that I was questioning but now that I've looked a lil more online and stuff I looks to be more of a headache and money pit than it's worth. Thanks!

It would be very interesting, and I sure would like to see it, if you could make an 03 Cobra IRS fit.

As far as I know, the pick-up points are different, so it would be nowheres near a bolt-on.

Now the 2015s are IRS, but I have been told that they will not retrograde fit into an S197.

Good luck, and please let us know if you go ahead with this.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Don't bother. The bolt-in IRS units will only mate directly with the splayed 4 link "Quadrabind" setup.

This should help you visualize the problems getting it to fit:
15338318835_ce20e0ed62_z.jpg

If it was relatively easy, then I'm sure somebody would have made a bolt-in adapter.

Prior to my '12 Boss I had an '03 Cobra. What a band aid of an IRS! I had this bushing and that bushing just to get rid of the wheel hop. The stick in the back of the Boss is much better, in my opinion, due to its simplicity (and obviously the overall platform of the newer car is much better as well). I've had a bunch of mustangs back to a Q code '73 Mach 1 and these new cars are light years ahead from the get go. Could be interesting though. Kind of like a pushrod 302 in a Focus.

Cobra700 said:
Well going out on a limb here.....
People say IRS is great for Road racing no?
I might have an IRS out of a 03 Cobra fall on my lap. Anyone put an IRS on a BOSS or is this something I should just let go and not look back at?

Let the IRS fall on your lap and sell it for the watts link.
It your car but your asking for opinons and I say Not worth the BIG HEADACHE.

Should you choose this ill advised route, or have a car with the IRS in it, let me introduce you tot he guy who wrote the book onf\ ford IRS units.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel