The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

IRS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I think the new chassis will be set up for the entire lineup to get an IRS, unlike the old sn95 cobras that got a drop in cradle assembly. so, no, I don't believe they will swap into our cars.

I wouldn't want it to be able to interchange anyhow, because they would probably have crappy geometry just like the cobras' IRS.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yeah I doubt you'll be able to retrofit, but you never know. Someone might make an adapter kit.

As far as the geometry is concerned, the car is designed with the IRS specifically in-mind, so there won't have to be any weird compromises like in the SN95 cars where they had to adapt it to a subframe designed for SRA.

The stock geometry may not be perfect, but I'm sure after market companies like Steeda, Whiteline, FRPP, etc will have parts available to swap in just like our solid axle. Wouldn't an IRS be the missing link for lap times between the BOSS' and say the 1LE Camaro or the ZL1? I don't race, so I honestly don't know.

As others have stated I wouldn't want an IRS to be able to be swapped in just to have it since the car wasn't designed with an IRS in mind. Plus I would think a well setup solid axle would be able to keep up or even beat an IRS car, since I thought IRS's have more drive train loss and also way more.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I believe it would take more than an IRS to make the boss turn comparable lap times. It's really their trick magna-whoosy-whatzit shocks that make the biggest impact.

IRS is good at allowing you to power out of corners more on bumpier surfaces. They also allow negative camber to optimize traction in the turns. These are both relatively minor time improvements, as its easy to compensate for the solid axle deficiencies in driving style.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
GM has the Performance Traction Management (PTM) system in their newer cars that allows the driver to mat the throttle at the apex of the turn and the car will figure out how much power to apply to maintain traction on exit. Ford doesn't have anything that will do that right now. That plus GM's magnetic dampers make the suspension extremely capable, and should really enhance any level of skill a driver has.

"Simply" going to IRS won't match or beat that combination of technology.

But if the Mustang is a couple hundred LBS lighter than the competition, that is a good start.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
very interesting! I have to say I am really not up to speed on what makes these things move. but for me, I hope ford keeps it simple or at least offers a "base" version without such automated features. I enjoy finding the balance between what I want to do and what the car will allow me to do. I love to fight the car around the track! that's where the thrill comes from!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
pufferfish said:
very interesting! I have to say I am really not up to speed on what makes these things move. but for me, I hope ford keeps it simple or at least offers a "base" version without such automated features. I enjoy finding the balance between what I want to do and what the car will allow me to do. I love to fight the car around the track! that's where the thrill comes from!

I agree, having a "fully defeatable" mode is important. I believe GM has that in all their vehicles by holding down the TCS button for 10 seconds.

Here is a little video on the capabilities of PTM, as demonstrated in a ZR1 Corvette:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/e9RVZkjZkek[/youtube]

Not to sound like a sore loser, I what to drive like Tommy but without the aids. Otherwise why to go track days?

Also NASA, SCCA, and the different Pro series don't allow driver aids............just ABS.

TMO Supporting Vendors