The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is an oil cooler mandatory for a barely tracked 2013-GT? (Update: YES!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPDATE(& TLDR):
Yes if you have any aptitude or previous experience with track driving(HPDEs in my case) a 5.0 Coyote motor going over 6,000 RPMs NEEDS an oil cooler to stay under 260F. Research seems to indicate that the small Mishimoto unit is insufficient.

Hello,

How mandatory is an oil cooler on a mostly stock (offroad X & a tune) 2013 mustang GT on street tires, that only really sees 1-3 track days a year in the spring/fall?
I have been reading up on here about oil cooler options and am hoping to get some input from some people with a bit more experience than I have.

I only really get a chance to make it to VIR 1 to 3(if I am lucky) times a year, because my # of events is limited, I only really go in the spring, and fall when temperatures are very pleasant 65F-85F so I am not seeing very high outside temps. I have been reading up on a lot of the posts on this forum of people recommending very nice but very costly setups of Setrab 948, or 172 cores, and while I like the idea, between the cooler and some gauges to keep an eye on temps & pressure, I am looking at spending more than half my track budget for the year on parts alone.
I am not a serious racer, I am never going to be, and I do not run on race tires but I do run the car to the best of my ability, and I am trying to get a feel for just how much of a priority I need to make big$ cooling mods to a car that only sees single digit hours of track time a year?

Last edited:
I wish I had installed an actual gauge before going crazy on my 948. If you're not going that hard install the gauge then decide if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
jpt3 said:
I wish I had installed an actual gauge before going crazy on my 948. If you're not going that hard install the gauge then decide if you need it.

Good advice here, and change the oil often when tracking your coyote.

302 Hi Pro

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Great answers above but ultimately, no, you don't *need* an oil cooler for the conditions you listed. 85ºF could be pushing it, if you're running longer than 20 min sessions and/or if you're a bit of a hot shoe and like to keep the revs up. If yours is also an early '13, you might not have piston squirters.

However, I *would* highly recommend an oil change prior to your seasonal track outings. And running at least a 50 weight oil if you intend to run in the higher ambient temps.

302 Hi Pro said:
Good advice here, and change the oil often when tracking your coyote.

302 Hi Pro

I am cautious to keep fresh Redline in the car before each track day.

Aside from tapping the oil pan, anyone have a recommendation on a sandwich plate, or preferred method of attaching a oil temp sensor? I am pretty sure the base 2013 GT doesnt have a factory sensor for oil temp.

Mxkon said:
I am cautious to keep fresh Redline in the car before each track day.

Aside from tapping the oil pan, anyone have a recommendation on a sandwich plate, or preferred method of attaching a oil temp sensor? I am pretty sure the base 2013 GT doesnt have a factory sensor for oil temp.

I was using the track apps to gauge the oil temperature and now that I have an actual gauge I've found it makes absolutely no sense to how they calculate it. I found when on track and running hard even if oil temp gauge read 180 the factory gauge would be reading almost in red.

Either way I used the Mishimoto sandwich adapter. I'm sure someone else has a better idea if you're not getting a cooler.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
For a GT (which I assume does not see over 7000 RPM), and on street tires, I'd assume you would not need a cooler, and if you did have temperature issues you could get away with either 1) removing your stock upper grille or 2) installing a BOSS 302S grille, both of which would improve airflow to the radiator over stock config.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
ArizonaBOSS said:
For a GT (which I assume does not see over 7000 RPM), and on street tires, I'd assume you would not need a cooler, and if you did have temperature issues you could get away with either 1) removing your stock upper grille or 2) installing a BOSS 302S grille, both of which would improve airflow to the radiator over stock config.

+1 on that. Removing my grill solved all my heat issues. The needle never goes past halfway now. Caution, the open grill does attract birds, plastic bags and lots of bugs

If the car already has the boss water to oil cooler installed (came with Track Pack cars, no?) you are probably safe. Since you have a 2013, I would use the oil temp gauge display in the cluster to determine a "base line" next time you attend a track event. If the needle never goes out of the green, your good. If it does or perhaps get closer to yellow/red than you would like, install the FRPP boss 302 cooler. It's super cheap and could get you where you need to be.

Later,
BT

BigTaco said:
If the car already has the boss water to oil cooler installed (came with Track Pack cars, no?) you are probably safe. Since you have a 2013, I would use the oil temp gauge display in the cluster to determine a "base line" next time you attend a track event. If the needle never goes out of the green, your good. If it does or perhaps get closer to yellow/red than you would like, install the FRPP boss 302 cooler. It's super cheap and could get you where you need to be.

Later,
BT

Unfortunately I have a Base 2013 GT + Brembo pkg. So I have the better brakes, but otherwise NONE of the nice features that you get in the track package(if I could do things differently, those recaros!). Because I dont have any of the track apps that come with the better package, I will need to install a sandwich plate & gauge in order to even establish a good baseline.
I have considered changing out the grill, but actually like the fog lights in the grill, and wanted to avoid removing them(at least for the time being).

So far as I have read, it seems that most people complain about the Boss water-oil cooler doing more harm under track conditions than it does good, I have even read it being called an oil warmer. Has your experience been different?

Mxkon said:
Unfortunately I have a Base 2013 GT + Brembo pkg. So I have the better brakes, but otherwise NONE of the nice features that you get in the track package(if I could do things differently, those recaros!). Because I dont have any of the track apps that come with the better package, I will need to install a sandwich plate & gauge in order to even establish a good baseline.
I have considered changing out the grill, but actually like the fog lights in the grill, and wanted to avoid removing them(at least for the time being).

So far as I have read, it seems that most people complain about the Boss water-oil cooler doing more harm under track conditions than it does good, I have even read it being called an oil warmer. Has your experience been different?

Unfortunately, there is allot of BS or to be fair, misunderstanding regarding oil coolers and coyote motors. The original boss oil cooler is an effective unit that was designed to help keep oil temps optimal for the boss 302 and eventually any Coyote powered mustang that may see some track duty. A variation of the Boss design is on every new coyote motor sold in the current model. I think it would be a perfect fit for your needs given what you have shared here in this thread. When it comes to fluid temps, it comes down to application and keeping fluids in the optimal range. Optimal being the key.

Again, for your application, I would go with this cooler. It will definitely help the engine keep the oil tempts optimal but it will make your radiator "work" a bit harder. For your application not a concern, but if you ever start to really get after it on a regular basis, you may want to consider a Boss or better radiator.

Grant 302

BigTaco said:
Unfortunately, there is allot of BS or to be fair, misunderstanding regarding oil coolers and coyote motors. The original boss oil cooler is an effective unit that was designed to help keep oil temps optimal for the boss 302 and eventually any Coyote powered mustang that may see some track duty. A variation of the Boss design is on every new coyote motor sold in the current model. I think it would be a perfect fit for your needs given what you have shared here in this thread. When it comes to fluid temps, it comes down to application and keeping fluids in the optimal range. Optimal being the key.

Again, for your application, I would go with this cooler. It will definitely help the engine keep the oil tempts optimal but it will make your radiator "work" a bit harder. For your application not a concern, but if you ever start to really get after it on a regular basis, you may want to consider a Boss or better radiator.

FWIW, after I added a Boss cooler to my GT, it did over-tax my stock radiator. Even at 68ºF ambient up at Laguna Seca. First time that car *ever* burped the coolant system. I'd consider a better radiator mandatory for base GTs with the Boss cooler. My understanding is that's the way track pack cars were packaged and seems like for good reason. I suspect the same is true for all the Gen2 coyotes.

I would say mandatory, no.

The on board "oil temp" does not have an actual sensor to report the oil temperature, even for the oil temp gauge in the Boss with gauge pack. The temperature is extrapolated from other data, and has been found to be questionable in a lot of cases. Talk to Ford Performance about this and they will share it with you, there is no oil temperature sender located in the car.

So it's really difficult to say if you have oil temp issues from the gauge.

As others have stated, you may not want to do the boss oil cooler, without changing out the radiator, it will overtax the stock radiator if you are pushing the car.

Since you are only tracking on occasion, start with the "free" inexpensive stuff, removing the grill to improve airflow, or swap out to a higher flowing grill. I had the fog lights in my GT for a while too, liking the look, but taking them out helped a lot with temps. I went "extreme" with my grill and put in a GT500 style grill, but the Roush grill flows very nicely too. The GT500 grill is open, we installed a screen behind the grill to protect the radiator and I haven't had issues.

Change your oil, as others have suggested, even consider switching to Amsoil (what I run), expensive but you can run it longer and has excellent thermal properties.

Still gives you problems then go to the radiator. Swap to a heavier duty radiator. That will pay off more in other areas, and help control coolant and oil temps. My first track day in this car it was a bone stock GT and I did have heat issues as it was a hot day. A bigger radiator was one of the first things I did.

Then, think about the oil cooler.

I have done a lot to my car, but one thing I haven't found a need for yet, is an oil cooler. In fact I had the Ford Racing air to air unit in at one point, but it has since been removed and we haven't found need to reinstall it.

I have a 610WHP Supercharged '13 GT. We have done a bunch to keep temps in check and I track it pretty frequently, and haven't had issues. Including in a 115 degree day at Thunderhill.

Installed a HUGE Radiator (C&R), BIG Heat Exchanger (for the blower), Moroso Aluminum Road Race Oil Pan with extra capacity (this helped with temps and preventing potential starvation). I never see any problems with oil temps running 20-25 minute sessions at a pretty good clip. Could a cooler help, probably, but just haven't seen the need for it, and space for me is at a premium for it.

VIR is a big, long, fast track. Im super novice at all this, but I would say that its not mandatory, but not a bad ideal either. Even with temps in the 70's the oil will get hot, quickly. I run a pretty much stock 302, and its oil gets hot quick. I remember how surprised I was at it when I first seen how much so. Yes, the two are different set ups and slightly different motors, but would say get a ford racing oil cooler or something similar. It'll help keep that oil cooler, especially on VIR, and when you decide you want more that 1-3 days a year, you'll thank yourself later for doing it sooner.

Shaun12 said:
VIR is a big, long, fast track. Im super novice at all this, but I would say that its not mandatory, but not a bad ideal either. Even with temps in the 70's the oil will get hot, quickly. I run a pretty much stock 302, and its oil gets hot quick. I remember how surprised I was at it when I first seen how much so. Yes, the two are different set ups and slightly different motors, but would say get a ford racing oil cooler or something similar. It'll help keep that oil cooler, especially on VIR, and when you decide you want more that 1-3 days a year, you'll thank yourself later for doing it sooner.

Trust me, I badly want more than 3 track days a year :p, but these other obligations just keep getting in the way!

I think I have decided on getting the Mishimoto sandwich plate, and a oil temp gauge to get a better idea of how things are currently functioning, and I will probably add a Setrab 172 cooler if needed.

The Base GT specs 5W20 oil, I know the Boss302 and others with the factory cooler spec 5w50? I believe common wisdom suggests I change up to a higher weight of oil for added protection especially when running at the track, but should I at all be concerned about a difference in oil pressure in a Base GT running higher weight oil? Particularly if I add a Setrab 172 cooler later?

Any feedback on that would be very very welcome.

Grant 302

Mxkon said:
The Base GT specs 5W20 oil, I know the Boss302 and others with the factory cooler spec 5w50? I believe common wisdom suggests I change up to a higher weight of oil for added protection especially when running at the track, but should I at all be concerned about a difference in oil pressure in a Base GT running higher weight oil? Particularly if I add a Setrab 172 cooler later?

My short answer is 'no', you should not be worried about a difference in oil pressure running a higher weight oil. In my opinion, the only conditions to worry about running a heavier weight oil are for warm up time and especially as relates to cold weather. If that's a concern, run a T-stat bypass for the cooler when you add it.

Mxkon said:

im not an expert on motors and oils, but if the GT motor is designed to run 5W20, I would stick with it, unless you find some very compelling evidence that states otherwise. But thats just my thought on it.

Shaun12 said:
im not an expert on motors and oils, but if the GT motor is designed to run 5W20, I would stick with it, unless you find some very compelling evidence that states otherwise. But thats just my thought on it.

There is no real difference between the standard GT engine and the Track Package engine, but Ford specifies 5W-50 for the latter anyway. And there's good reason for it: the higher weight oil offers better protection at the elevated temperatures seen on the track. This is almost certainly the reason that weight is specified for the Boss 302 as well: it's expected that you'll run it on the track.

That means if you're tracking your GT, you should probably be using 5W-50 while doing so.

It would be interesting to know if anyone (well, other than Ford, at any rate) has done back to back runs on the track in a Coyote-based Mustang, one with 5W-20 and one with 5W-50, while recording temperatures and pressures. I'd love to know what the results from such testing are.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Oil viscosity is taken into consideration for cam phaser operation (read:calibration). Just use a high quality synthetic as per the original fill.

Grant 302

kcbrown said:
There is no real difference between the standard GT engine and the Track Package engine, but Ford specifies 5W-50 for the latter anyway. And there's good reason for it: the higher weight oil offers better protection at the elevated temperatures seen on the track. This is almost certainly the reason that weight is specified for the Boss 302 as well: it's expected that you'll run it on the track.

That means if you're tracking your GT, you should probably be using 5W-50 while doing so.

It would be interesting to know if anyone (well, other than Ford, at any rate) has done back to back runs on the track in a Coyote-based Mustang, one with 5W-20 and one with 5W-50, while recording temperatures and pressures. I'd love to know what the results from such testing are.

Agreed. I wouldn't choose to run 5W-20 for any more than exactly one hot lap. I can tell you that a Boss owner here ran 10W-40 at the track and saw instances of lower pressure.

BigTaco said:
Oil viscosity is taken into consideration for cam phaser operation (read:calibration). Just use a high quality synthetic as per the original fill.

True...But how different is the viscosity of 5W-20 at normal street/short trip operating temps vs. 5W-50 at track temps? And is the OEM calibration actually different on a '13 GT with or without the Track Pack?

I sincerely doubt it on the calibrations. And in those two conditions, I would expect both oils to be between 10 and 15 cSt.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel