The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is anyone else irritated at the tach?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Is anyone else irritated that the red line is on the center of the factory tach instead of at the outside near the end of the pointer? Every car I have owned has had it on the outside of the dial where you can accurately see when you are getting there. I find myself hitting the rev limiter constantly before I see the needle has hit the red.

Just something I wish was different I guess.

John

The speedo isn't very readable either. Oh well it's a good thing the rev limiter works well.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
No disrespect, try to go by the engine pitch. You can train yourself to do this. I've worked hard at this and know when I hit just about 7350. If you can learn, you can keep your eyes on more important things. I still bang the limiter at tines but i pretty much know I'm just about to.

-Pete

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
No disrespect taken. I just find it odd that they put it in the center. Honestly, I don't get enough high speed time on the street to get used to the sound of 7500 RPM. Also, this thing pulls like hell right up to redline. Every car that I have driven started to drop off slightly before redline which was more telling than the tach.

John

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
jneary said:
No disrespect taken. I just find it odd that they put it in the center. Honestly, I don't get enough high speed time on the street to get used to the sound of 7500 RPM. Also, this thing pulls like hell right up to redline. Every car that I have driven started to drop off slightly before redline which was more telling than the tach.

John

I will agree, the first 'dead spot' you feel is when the rev limiter hits ;-) a shift light will help you. A lot of us use an Aero force gauge that can be programmed to alert you at a preprogrammed rev setting.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
this is why I have a raptor shift light. its tiny and only a three wire hook up.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/raptor-performance-shift-light-single-stage/p/RSL1-V/

I shift my car at 8k these days so the factory red line I dont use anyway on the dash

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
OK guys, how about some photos of shift light installs?

I spent this afternoon just tearing the car apart to see how the wire harnesses differ in the boss versus the premium cars with better stereo and interior lighting. They left a whole harness out of the boss that runs the door pocket lights, console lights and scuff plate lights which are three color LED. I am kinda bummed because I would like to add some better lighting in this thing for the winter months when it is dark and the interior on a Boss is even dark in the middle of a sunny day! Not that I want the scuff plate bling but foot well lighting would be nice to have...

Sorry, complete off topic rant. Where are you guys grabbing the tach wire?

Thanks!!!

John

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Here is one that soflo did a while back
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2192.msg44591#msg44591
Can't find my thread on my install

I saw that line of reasoning used a lot when I was researching the sequential shift light. But now that I've used mine, it really doesn't hinder you in any way. It is bright enough to be seen easily in your peripheral vision, so you can still keep your eyes outside. Plus, I haven't seen many modern race cars without one, so there's that.

I'll post some pictures soon.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
I agree on the tach too... my problem is it has a light in it... the location is where the old idiot lights used to be located... every once in a while I catch sight of it and panic... spent too much time in late 60's Fords and Pontiacs...

jneary said:
Is anyone else irritated that the red line is on the center of the factory tach instead of at the outside near the end of the pointer? Every car I have owned has had it on the outside of the dial where you can accurately see when you are getting there. I find myself hitting the rev limiter constantly before I see the needle has hit the red.

Just something I wish was different I guess.

John

I hate it too. Hard to train my eye to look there. A quick glance should be all it takes but you need to try and read this tach. Miss in my book.

One of the first things I noticed when going from my 2005 Mustang to the 2013 Boss was how much more effort it was to read both the speedo and tach on the Boss versus the 2005. One difference is the font of the numbers. The retro tall numbers are definitely easier to read than those on the Boss, which I think are supposed to follow the font used on the BOSS stripes? ??? I've also rented some 2013 Mustangs and they have the retro tall numbers as well and are easier to read.

This could also be a 50+ yr eye thing... ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors