The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

IS drag the enemy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have recently changed my position on wings and downforce. Previously I was a "NASCAR streamliner guy", since we run mostly fast tracks with multiple 130+ mph sections I always thought drag was the enemy. But since running the 350R wing on my S550 and seeing as well as feeling the effect on corner and exit speeds I am a downforce convert. If you look at data (which I am nowhere near an expert at) you can see the apex speeds and exit speeds as well as where in the corner you are able to pick up the throttle. The earlier you can get back to accelerating while still maintaining high apex speeds the longer you make the straight and therefore counter the drag penalty. I have seen this clearly on runs I did at Watkins Glen with and without the wing and the differences were amazing. I was carrying 5 mph more through the center of the corners and actually gained mph on the straights. 500 NASA racers can't all be wrong LOL.
Steve

FWIW we stripped all the aero off of the T1 car at Daytona just to see what happens, it was not a good deal according to AJ, but it was worth a try.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think this guy (GraysGarage) does a better job of explaining aerodynamics than Kyle does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzMe1e9fE50

He even does some testing on a Mustang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WIMqqGhNSc

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just an update on aero vs drag regarding S197 cars with G Stream wing. During the 4 sessions I got to run at speed last week my top speed on VIR's back straight was the same or better than I had achieved over the previous 5 years. In fact I recorded a best top speed of 151.8 mph during one of the laps. In speaking with Cameron Maugeri who campaigns Boss 302S cars in T1 and co drove with Dean at Daytona, he said that the wing really doesn't impose a big drag penalty, but does provide large amounts of downforce even at 1 degree angle of attack. I am convinced.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel