The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is Ford asking for trouble offering a flat plane crank motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Decided to google "flat plane crank" and am getting a bit of an education.

This engine design seems like a snakepit of potentially terribly expensive warranty claim exposure for Ford.

I don't think it's going to be much of a problem. The engine uses the same architecture as our cars so no issues with the heads and valve train. The question is have they properly dampened the vibrations inherent in a FPC design. They stated they used a unique design that they patented so we'll see. If they make 5,000 cars the first year and they vibrate apart that won't put Ford out of business.

On another note I talked to a Cosworth engineer at SEMA 2013 and asked him about issues with this FPC engine. He said they had a lot of issues with vibration at first and parts would literally vibrate off the car. But they got it all worked out and the engine runs fine. I wonder if Ford tapped the Cosworth engineers for a vibration solution.

IMG_1403_zpsa218a787.jpg
IMG_1404_zps60c5cf80.jpg

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
With all the advanced modeling and analysis software used in design, I would expect they designed out major issues up front and have run extensive testing. Hopefully Ford will put a couple of these engines in some racing applications to gain real world experience as well.

Can't wait to see more on this car

DMichaels said:
With all the advanced modeling and analysis software used in design, I would expect they designed out major issues up front and have run extensive testing. Hopefully Ford will put a couple of these engines in some racing applications to gain real world experience as well.

Can't wait to see more on this car
Multimatic has had two GT350's since summer. Hopefully they are testing them hard and they are ready for the CTSCC at Daytona in January. I expect to see a lot of GT350 goodness in the winner's circle over the next couple of seasons.

Bay Area
I don't think they will have a problem with it. Yamaha did it on the R1 and it turned out to be a killer track bike. With all the R&D and previous flat plane crank engines out there I am sure Ford will put out a quality product that they will stand behind.

byronj said:
I don't think they will have a problem with it. Yamaha did it on the R1 and it turned out to be a killer track bike. With all the R&D and previous flat plane crank engines out there I am sure Ford will put out a quality product that they will stand behind.

Actually, Yamaha did the opposite. The conventional way to build an in-line four is with a flat crank, two pistons up and two pistons down, each pair firing oppositely. What Yamaha did was to twist the crank journals to 90 degrees from each other (instead of 180). looking at the crank on end it would appear like a cross or an X, hence their marketing name "Cross Plane" Crankshaft.

Yamaha did this to make for an uneven firing order which on a motorcycle helps with rear tire traction due to the longer space between some of the firing impulses, giving the tire more time to hook up.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Potentially, yes.

And I say this as a Ford fan...

In true Ford fashion, I'm sure there will be something to fix with the first batch or two of the engines. Most likely something(s) small. But I doubt it will be 100% TSB free in the first year.

That said, testing can't replicate actual street use and all production tolerances. I have faith that there will be no 'major' issues that would make me not want to buy it, but there are enough reasons and examples from past releases that I won't buy one of the first off the line.

Grant 302 said:
Potentially, yes.

And I say this as a Ford fan...

In true Ford fashion, I'm sure there will be something to fix with the first batch or two of the engines. Most likely something(s) small. But I doubt it will be 100% TSB free in the first year.

That said, testing can't replicate actual street use and all production tolerances. I have faith that there will be no 'major' issues that would make me not want to buy it, but there are enough reasons and examples from past releases that I won't buy one of the first off the line.

So you won't be a bidder at Barrett Jackson? :-D

I am a bit worried myself about this engine. I (1) haven't bought a domestic car with my own money and (2) have heard stories of any first model year car/drivetrain/etc...that being said, I dont think I could hold off on a car purchase for yet another year...I haven't owned a sports car in 7 years and I am dieing to get back into one. I hope I don't regret my decision to (1) choose ford and (2) buy a first year engine...I'm overly optimistic as usual though! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backorder said:

I am a bit worried myself about this engine. I (1) haven't bought a domestic car with my own money and (2) have heard stories of any first model year car/drivetrain/etc...that being said, I dont think I could hold off on a car purchase for yet another year...I haven't owned a sports car in 7 years and I am dieing to get back into one. I hope I don't regret my decision to (1) choose ford and (2) buy a first year engine...I'm overly optimistic as usual though! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everytime you start the car and drive, you'll instantly forget the warranty trips to the dealer you had to do :p
At least that's how the boss is for me. If this was any other car I think would've given up on it, because of all the warranty work I had done.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Backorder said:

Just buy it and enjoy it! Leave the worrying to knuckleheads like me! :-[

four-walling said:
This engine design seems like a snakepit of potentially terribly expensive warranty claim exposure for Ford.

Doh! I just saw what you did there!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel