The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is it OK to reuse stock caliper, shock and panhard bar nuts and bolts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pittsburgh PA
My service manual says to use new nuts and bolts when replacing shock, brake caliper and panhard bar, etc..

I get the single use concept but was curious if the folks on this forum reuse their hardware.

I have the replacement hardware part numbers, but it is a pricey and time consuming endeavor ordering new hardware. Safety, though, I don’t want to compromise.

I've only done work on the brakes and have reused the bolts like @TMSBOSS said with more loctite. Maintaining the correct torque specs is important. I grabbed all of the torque spec sheets from the S197 workshop manual that I could and placed in one doc for quick reference . It plus a few others are in this thread. https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/s197-torque-spec-sheet-please.17234/

@Pitt Stang take a ride out to Pitt Race Memorial Day weekend if you have time. Chin is having a HPDE. Even if you are not driving it's still fun to watch. It would be cool to see another TMO'r out there.

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
What I look for is bolts that have a torque to yield spec, something that calls for a specific torque and then turned a specific amount after torque amount, like 45 degrees. Any bolt torqued like this is tossed. I reuse nuts and bolts all the time, to much CYA in shop manuals and owners manuals.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
If one time use replace it. Reason is threads get deformed from reusing it and easy strip.
This problem is common with motorcycle guys, reusing countershaft sprocket nut and stripping threads on shaft. To replace shaft whole motor has to come apart. Save $5 to spend $2500 :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Reuse them unless they are damaged, or a torque to yield bolt. Ford does it as a liability reduction step - they don't trust techs to use thread locker correctly I guess.
To check for deformation on the threads, you can run a new nut up the threads. if it is tight on any location, then toss it. Most of the bolts Ford says to toss aren't even available from them anymore.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I reuse the brake bolts all the time with additional loctite unless threads are damaged. I have reused strut to spindle bolts as many as five times without without problem. Last time the struts were out I replaced them since I was able to get them.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Nova Scotia
Thinking of strut to spindle bolts - there’s a note in some instructions I recently used that these were upgraded from course to fine thread bolts for more clamping strength. My dealer can’t find the part numbers. Any ideas?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pittsburgh PA
I've only done work on the brakes and have reused the bolts like @TMSBOSS said with more loctite. Maintaining the correct torque specs is important. I grabbed all of the torque spec sheets from the S197 workshop manual that I could and placed in one doc for quick reference . It plus a few others are in this thread. https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/s197-torque-spec-sheet-please.17234/

@Pitt Stang take a ride out to Pitt Race Memorial Day weekend if you have time. Chin is having a HPDE. Even if you are not driving it's still fun to watch. It would be cool to see another TMO'r out there.
Awesome torque spec list. Much appreciated.

I’ve done a bunch of TNiA’s at Pitt Race and the June 1 one should be my first with my new 295 square setup. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Chin HPDE’s.

TMO Supporting Vendors