The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is it worth buying a tire changer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As many of you track rats do, I change out tires multiple times per season. Often I just flip them around to wear the other side evenly. This is costing me about $100 every time I remount them. Amazon has tire changing machines for under $1500. I have probably spent over half of that in the last two years and will be doing it twice more this year alone. So has anyone considered this or done it?

Add in the cost of a quality balancer before you make your decision.

Since the cost to balance is relatively small compared to the removal and mounting I would probably just take them to the local shop for that. Plus, I can't fit both machines in my garage.....or I would probably just pull the trigger.

It's almost pointless to balance the wheels when the move on the wheel anyway. What I'd do for something like this is find a quality used one. When you finished with it resell it and recoup most if not all of your initial costs.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
In the future I plan to have a changer and balancer inside a shop(Hopefully), having changed thousands of tires in the last year or two I cant really justify paying someone else to do it when I know how easy it really is as long as you have the right equipment. I would say that its worth it to pick up a tire changer used from craigslist or facebook and use that for a bit and then taking the wheels to discount tire for a rebalance since its free and they have nicer machines than any of us would have in a garage on a budget.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel