The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is modifying my '18 to run E85 worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
For lowering lap times in HPDE, resist the urge to add HP to accomplish that goal. Focus your engine mods on extending the life of the original engine as long as possible, ie proper oil cooler, baffled oil pan, catch cans, etc. From experience, I would add E85 to that list of simple mods that provide “insurance” to the stock engine, especially for the Gen 3 cars since it’s such a simple conversion. Lap times are going to benefit more from good tires, proper track alignment and seat-time.

I agree with that as well, but I would add good brakes to the list. FWIW in my HPDE experience cars that are slow or don't handle all that well can still be heaps of fun, but cars that don't stop consistently erode your confidence and that kills the fun very quickly.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I stand corrected....e85 usage is indeed more than I thought.
The 20% figure I was sighting was from the media promoting e85 for street use claiming that it was only 20% more fuel usage but the cost savings made it a better deal plus being being a renewable fuel etc. But that was back when I still thought I could still believe the media....how silly of me. I guess we all know better now.
@Mad Hatter made a post with his new higher HP motor on e85 had about the same fuel usage as his old motor on 98 octane...do I remember that correctly?
I wish he would chime in here and straighten me out. Regardless, I still love the stuff and would never go back to racing fuel at 10 bucks a gallon.
The lower cost and extra cooling effects alone are enough to make it worth it to me and the 12 extra HP is a nice bonus.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Here I be! No, I have trouble getting E85 down here at a decent price. the only way I could do it would be mixing it myself by buying barrels of fuel. Wife said no to turning the house into a fuel mixing plant... Don"t no why, not a smoker :idontknow: ... But do love BBQ;s!

I run 98 octane race gas on pretty much the same motor that @Fabman runs, we have almost the same hp numbers. If I was in the US would probably run E85.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'm considering the cost of the modifications necessary to run E85 in my NA 2018 track car. I've budgeted roughly $2000. (fuel booster pump, new fuel injectors, Dyno tune and installation of all necessary) Has anyone regretted doing it? Are people seeing a significant enough increase in RWHP to justify the expense? Just wondering what the guys think that have done it on their Get III coyotes and how much RWHP actually increased.
I'm one of those 18 e85 only jerks. Price point can't be beat, increased octane provides cooling benefits, and that with just longtubes and exhaust, you're as fast or faster than the GT350.
If you are in a region that has it, in decent quality, where is the downside?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
At the shop I go to they have several mach1 cars running on E85, they are very fast, with most of them at 500rwhp with just LTH. I guess the only down side is that they are using and average of 30% more fuel now.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here I be! No, I have trouble getting E85 down here at a decent price. the only way I could do it would be mixing it myself by buying barrels of fuel. Wife said no to turning the house into a fuel mixing plant... Don"t no why, not a smoker :idontknow: ... But do love BBQ;s!

I run 98 octane race gas on pretty much the same motor that @Fabman runs, we have almost the same hp numbers. If I was in the US would probably run E85.
Oh shoot, I thought you WERE on e85....well that explains why the fuel usage was so similar. My bad.

Agree with all 3 of your suggestions. To that end, this season I've gone to 100TW R888R's, I had a track alignment done by Kenny Brown Performance in Indianapolis and I'm scheduled for twice as many track days as last year. No question more laps = lower lap times!
Get a better set of tires next time and that will be the biggest change to your lap times. Many 200 tw tires that will smoke the r888's..

I regularly daily my car and track it on e85. (2018 mustang) The gains are totally worth it, I dont have any numbers but it sure feels like more than 10 hp. Fuel mileage sucks unless you can keep your foot out of it (i cant). I get max 200 miles per tank daily driving.

One issue to note, I have had fuel starvation issues only while running e85. Only in long left sweepers which for me is only at sonoma that I have had this issue. Right hand is no problem.

You have to run the tank full of fuel to offset this

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Get a better set of tires next time and that will be the biggest change to your lap times. Many 200 tw tires that will smoke the r888's..

I regularly daily my car and track it on e85. (2018 mustang) The gains are totally worth it, I dont have any numbers but it sure feels like more than 10 hp. Fuel mileage sucks unless you can keep your foot out of it (i cant). I get max 200 miles per tank daily driving.

One issue to note, I have had fuel starvation issues only while running e85. Only in long left sweepers which for me is only at sonoma that I have had this issue. Right hand is no problem.

You have to run the tank full of fuel to offset this
Gen 3 Coyotes benefit way more from e85 due to the direct injection and higher compression according to Shaun @ AED.
Gen 1 and 2 not nearly as much HP gains but still runs cooler and safer plus it's cheaper than race gas.
Still a winner in my book.

My experience with E85 was meh....mostly because I think the throttle mapping from Lund Tuning seemed to be more of an on/off switch. It just seemed much harder to find a sweet spot and modulate throttle precisely. Plenty fine for drag racing, not so much on road courses. HP increase was barely noticeable, but E85 did have the car running slightly cooler with cheaper gas.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My experience with E85 was meh....mostly because I think the throttle mapping from Lund Tuning seemed to be more of an on/off switch. It just seemed much harder to find a sweet spot and modulate throttle precisely. Plenty fine for drag racing, not so much on road courses. HP increase was barely noticeable, but E85 did have the car running slightly cooler with cheaper gas.
Sounds like you need a new tuner. Mine is smooth and perfect from idle to redline.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What Sal said. Pretty much all the 2018+ cars down here that have gone to E85 are over 480rwhp, more so if they have bolt-ons.. With the gen3 setup its a breeze.... but the tune is key.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel