The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is my clutch slipping ? (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

US

Start at 4:30 and watch 5 or 6 turns. Listen as I accelerate out of the corners. Bump up to 8 minutes. Another good example. It happens a lot on the slower corners that require significant load on the clutch to pull through the corners.
Most of these I am down to 3rd and definitely WOT and you can hear the rpms go up and down and back up again through the corner exit.
I smell no clutch material at all. It doesn't seem to be getting worse. Doesn't do it at all in any daily driving situations. Just here on track.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Seemed like it was only happening on right hand corners, and pretty much at the same relative point in the corner exit? At least I didn't hear it on the lefts I saw. It sounded more like wheelspin to me than clutch slip. If you have a clutch type diff perhaps the right side is going south?

US
Unknown clutch details. The car has almost 29,000 miles. I assume it is stock. We went cw day 1, ccw dat 2. It happens both ways.

US
I also assume stock because I do have some higher RPM lockout issues

Sounds like you will need to look into replacing your clutch. Have you bleed clutch fluid/brake fluid lately? Lots of good info on this forum about clutch replacement. Seems like Exedy is getting some good press here.

US
I replaced brake fluid but did not bleed clutch. I had no orher symptoms other than what you hear on the video. I was planning in a new clutch eventually. Looks like sooner rather than later.

Any suggestions on steel vs aluminum flywheel?

US
Sorry its a 2012 boss 302
Thanks for the link! Always nice to have as much info as you can get !

I am having the same issues. While in third gear in tight turns feels like slipping high rpm’s and the car will not hook up. Did You change your clutch. Did it solve the issue

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel