The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is the GT350 outdated?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
I drove a 19GT PP2 before buying the 16 GT350 I have. No regrets, I really feel its a simple, yet transcendent of mustang formula. The chassis setup is more refined, the brakes are the best I've ever felt in a street going car, the flat plane makes for a fun experience and sound, the tremec is great in shift effort and feel, the handling and power-on characteristics are dramatically better than the GT, and I love all the small touches from the hood line to materials that make the GT350 experience "more".

There's caveats sure, like early cars with spin-on filters or missing coolers are things you have to look at and manage, but I've been very critical of every car I've owned, and I've had the hardest time finding faults in the GT350. Thus, I don't find it outdated, I think its the best modern interpretation of the pony car.
Don't forget body panel alignment. Hahaha

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I have both a 18 GT350 and 19 GT 10 speed. Both are really great at what they're intended to be used for. Track it's obvious the 350 is best. Street brawling or long trips across country the GT is hands down the best. The 19 got around 30mpg on the latest trek from TX to Neb plenty of power and torque to deal idiots or whatever comes your way. Cooled seats and all the comforts like auto high beams etc just make the GT more refined in that aspect but the 350 is just a track car through and through.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My better half has a 2019 GT 10 speed convert we use when cruising or just taking an enjoyable ride in the country. The GT350R is great when I want to do "Manly Things" on track. Two great cars with different purposes. Neither is outdated, in my humble opinion.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Don't roast me over the title. :) I'm getting ready to finish putting my '16 PP GT back together in order to sell it for a 17-19 low mileage GT350. Talking to a group of friends that have jumped on the '18+ 10speed wagon, someone made a comment & suggestion that set me back a moment. He said, the GT350 is already outdated and I should just wait out until the next Generation of Mustang comes out. Do you guys think it's outdated?
Calling a GT350 'outdated' because it's intentionally not the right Mustang for every V8 Mustang buyer . . . as good a reason as any for ignoring their advice. The GT350 is a pretty narrow-focus car in either of its trims, obviously too narrowly focused in a direction that your friends don't understand.

I like to think my cars are daily drivers but I've only put 10k miles on it in 3 years and that's mostly because weekend track trips & the club events are an hour away.
I really don't see much reason a GT350 couldn't be daily-driven, aside from burning through its OE PSC2 tires in low-speed street driving (easily remedied). If I had one and was still working, I know I wouldn't bat an eye at the idea of commuting in it.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel