The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is the S550 a big upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all,

Im in a bit of a dilemma, i have a 2012 Mustang GT in Dubai. The build has revolved around road courses and auto x. I have been thinking to return it to stock and purchase an s550. However i would like everyones opinion on if its a good idea. I will list a few of my mods which would maybe help make the decision easier.

The current stang has:

- Magnum XL and a 4:10 Diff
- Cobra jet setup with 1 7/8 headers + 3 inch exhaust and a lund tune
- P springs and koni yellow, with lower and upper arms, rear lower relocation brackets + panhard
- Custom oil cooler setup + shelby fan shroud
- Brembo 4 piston front setup
- ford racing front and rear sway bar.

There are plenty more mods but these are the significant ones.

Is the s550 with IRS a big advantage around a road course. Before i spend money for our comming season preparing my car, i would like to make the decision. Wondering what everyones thoughts are.

I'm a big fan of the S550 chassis and IRS. If I was going to buy a new car for road course fun I'd buy a S550 based car no question. If not a GT350 then a GT with the performance package and big brakes. But you've already got some nice mods going so it's debatable. One of the weak links with the car you have is the transmission and you've already resolved that issue. For the next mod for your car I'd recommend a CorteX watts link. Then think about adding the S550 front brake package or a Stoptech six piston kit. While the stock four piston Brembos are adequate I always felt the brakes were being used at their maximum and I'd prefer to have more brake than I need. Good luck.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I've been a fan of the S550 updates since they were first released, but wheels and tires will still make the biggest difference in your lap times.

Upgrade the car you have for another year. Is the Magnum XL going into the new car if it's a GT? Consider the 2018MY for possible upgrade, as long as the new styling doesn't bother you.

Thanks for the replys guys, i currently run 19x9.5s with 275 cup 2s for street and track, i dont daily the stang. I plan on some 18x10s with 295 hoosiers for the comming season.. I dont think the s550 has more than a second on an identically built s197 on the same tires and same brake, power mods.. in the sense that when both built, i dont think it would be more than a second faster with the same driver.. which is what makes me think of continuing with the s197 platform and saving some money. I want to work on aero before our season starts. A built e92 M3 has been dominating time attack for a couple years in the rwd modified class and i want to try change that :D Either with the s197 or moving to an s550.

Edit: A camber adjustable rear diff with a watts link or irs swap may be viable one day

I have run all the Yas Marina configurations. Time attack is held at the Yas Marina circuit. However the true gem in my opinion is the Dubai Autodrome, driving the circuit is so much more fun than yas marina. I plan to visit the Bahrain F1 circuit this year for a track day, its just a very long drive there.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you are out to beat a E92 then I think just the 315/30-18 R7 tires would do the trick!! Unless its supercharged, you have loads more torque then the bimmer V8. After seeing off several modded E92 M3's, I was put in my place by a factory race E46 M3, was much lighter then the E92's (300 kilos lighter then the M3 or my Boss). I found the P springs quite limiting, maybe a set of coilovers from Cortex? Its great to be able to set your ride heights and corner balance the car. Even the cheapest Cortex/Koni setup is way way ahead of the P springs and Koni yellows... The P springs have too much brake dive for fast tracks and with wider slicks they give too much on high speed turns with High G's (Buddies S197 rubs on long curves at over 1.2G). Must be hard running with such high temps!! Best of Luck!!!

@VoodooBoss you guys have killer tracks, yes its alot hotter were we are. Out season is during winter, 25-30 degree celcius temps are perfect.

@Mad Hatter yeh you are right. Im not too worried about the e92. If i decide to keep the s197 instead of a s550 i will move up to a set of cortex valved konis with custom rates.

TMO Supporting Vendors