The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is there a strange reason removing the 50 lbs passenger seat ISNT worth it (i have to brake a half marker earlier WITHOUT it)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So my last two trips tk VIR, i started removing the passenger seat for some sessions to test out weight reduction. I got some bad fast for me laps in early February, but not so much in mid March. Ive noticed on my data the top speed was nearly the same... like, I wasn't consistent in march or the data wasnt reading accurately... but the "margin of error" had the sear being about as fast, maybe a half mph faster withoit it. But with tge seat, my marjers at vir are 4.5, 2.75ish, and 1.5 in 1, 11, and 14. Without the seat, i braked at 5, 3, and 2.

My initial hypothetisis was track conditions were a bigger difference than anything, and that marker moving was due to a top speed difference. Now, I'm reviewing my data and looking at this and its like... in back ti bak trsting, is it actually better??? Surely a 50 lbs ballast mid car is better gone? Maybe the aero isnbetter with a seat for some stupid reason?

I mean, no professional race cars have a passenger seat so theres that

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Put an instructor in it. Maybe you’ll go even faster.
Fixed it for you. :D

Look at your apex minimum speeds - any faster without the seat? Could be like you're thinking - more apex speed = higher top speed = earlier braking. Or it could be tire grip changes between days - heat cycles, track temp., moisture/humidity, etc. Or it could just be statistical noise - can you drive consistently enough to be able to put in lap times that would show a noticeable difference from a 50 pound weight change on a 3xxx lb. car?

And if you don't mind, in the future please take a minute or two to proofread your post before posting. Some of that was hard to decipher.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
Because cell phone? LOL! Reads like a lot of text messages I receive.....
Was a text message... apex speeds are pretty consistent one way or another. Within 1 mph in most turns. Basically, i cant attribute any of that to the seat... could just be track conditions.

For t14 i xan confirm going to 1.5 like a seat is in the car will result in missing t14. Not in the grass... but you'll miss the apex

Last edited:
And if you don't mind, in the future please take a minute or two to proofread your post before posting. Some of that was hard to decipher.
Seriously, I stopped reading it because it was so difficult to decipher.

TMO Supporting Vendors