The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is this normal for an Airaid CAI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys I posted this on another forum a long time ago, but I'm going to be racing my Boss alot more and this concerns me. Does anyone have experience with this? Here's the original post:

I bought an Airaid Carbon Fiber CAI for my Boss, and when I installed it all, I found that the rubber grommet and metal fitting that attach the intake tube to the crank case breather line are not completely sealed. So when everything is on, there is a small space around the rubber grommet (it is not flush with the tube). Wouldn't this allow air to enter the intake through that hole instead of through the filter? I feel like this compromises the intake. Does anyone else have one that looks like this?

It's kind of hard to tell in the picture, but that rubber ring is being tilted and pulled out by the breather line (and it can easily move around), so I can't imagine how it would actually be sealed.

155860_10202767140357012_1186725008_n.jpg

I emailed Airaid about it, and they said it would be fine. However, I would like to know if others have this same issue. I went ahead and wrapped high-temp electrical tape around where the rubber meets the carbon fiber, just to make sure its not open. My biggest concern now, is that I am going to start road racing this year and I'm afraid of sustained heat melting my high-temp tape or catching it on fire. Should I be worried about the grommet on the intake? Should I be worried about high-temp electcrical tape melting/burning during sustained racing? Thanks

Suggest you add the appropriate size o-ring's as needed to seal it up rather than tape. You might have to add more than one o ring to close the gap. I doubt you have to worry about heat at this location causing a fire either way.

TMO Supporting Vendors