The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is this splitter available?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like a one-off made from a sheet of ABS. Plus it looks like unless you get flares like that it will stick out past the wheels quite a bit. I bet all of that is custom. But since Vorshlag posted it they might be the guys to ask.

Edit: I think I found the splitter you are looking for :) Custom.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6015.msg105993#msg105993

Note that they have a spacer between the valance and splitter. It's more important to get it lower then sticking out further. Take a stock WC splitter and make a 1" spacer and you're set.

Ahhhhh. I see. Thanks for the info and link guys. I just hit a big ol piece of tire on the highway and tore everything up on the frontend. Saw the Vorshlag splitter and flares and was thinking about just going all out like that. Dunno now that I see all the custom work on it. It's soooooo bad but probably out of my league right now.

Was kinda hoping it was a "Kit" they sold lol. I'll send over an email and see what they say. Thanks again!

I replied to your email, but for everyone's benefit, here's the scoop on the front end.

We first ran the car with no flares and a Laguna Seca splitter. We found the splitter was barely more than a cosmetic piece because of it's stiffness, short length and other protrusions under the front bumper that had to be trimmed away to make it work correctly (but couldn't due to rules in the class we were in).

Eventually we decided we wanted more tire, so we looked into thermoforming ABS fender flares. We did one set (in the picture at the top of the page), late in the day right before an event. Seems like our car is the one that is always neglected. Something about cobblers and their kid's shoes. It didn't look very good, but it worked very well at shielding the front of the tire from the air stream without trapping more air behind the tire. The flares were done at the same time we did a new aluminum splitter that went much further under the car and we vented the hood. The splitter and radiator ducting required a new bumper beam. We needed clearance for the duct and attachment points for the splitter. And the hood ducts required relocating a number of underhood parts, including the intake tube and air cleaner. Eventually we got rid of the thermoformed flares after they were torn in a track accident and did the metalwork to finish the front flares.

You can see where the work starts in our gallery on the car, or follow it in our forum.

Gallery pics of this project start here: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects/Vorshlag-2011-Mustang-GT-build/14599286_2tnnDT#!i=2657187951&k=nKkkgQ2

Some of the highlights.

Relocating underhood components.
_DSC5022-M.jpg

Front bumper beam, ducting, air cleaner and intake tube.
_DSC0321-M.jpg

Laguna Seca splitter (black) compared to our aluminum splitter (aluminum). Note how much further back it goes.
_DSC0344-M.jpg

Mockup for mounts, including underside mounts not seen.
_DSC0359-M.jpg

The spacer to get it down to the right height to work properly at the same height as the rest of the chassis.
_DSC0649-M.jpg

First steps of hood venting.
_DSC0988-M.jpg

Strength testing. If you do this and your splitter bends, it's not doing it's job because it's not stiff enough. If you do this and it pulls out, it would have pulled out if it actually worked correctly.
1_DSC1282-M.jpg

I'm surprised we actually had photos of making the flares because we were so rushed. Here's the wireframe model we made as a buck. Give us some slack on this as we were under the gun timewise, and had never done anything like this before. There are more photos of them covered with cloth and resin to make a better buck before dropping the hot ABS on them in our homemade vacuum table.
20130824_112736-M.jpg

Trial fitments and final trimming of the flares. They were eventually split at the bumper-fender seam. The bumper, splitter and front portion of the flares is one part that can be removed together. That's me in all my gorgeousness working on it there.
_DSC1763-M.jpg

Here it is receiving some post event maintenance.
DSC_3276-M.jpg

The splitter was powder coated and the bumper, fenders, flares and hood were painted. We went though a few different stripe setups while we competed with it. Here's the final version with the bolt-on flares.
2_DSF2332%20as%20Smart%20Object-1%20copy%202-M.jpg

Eventually, we did the metalwork on the front flares.
20141014_141527-M.jpg

And here's the final version once we painted it.
B61G9789-M.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I think our LS splitters are fine up to Fords 155 MPH speed limiter settings. Could you imagine the consequences if it wasn't?

20140826_183822_zpsqekue7d6.png

I'll install it in the spring with my air over oil engine oil cooler and the Blowfish Racing front tow hook and support bar.

Have fun with your Boss,
Dave
302 HP

(Edit on 01/30/15: NOTE: Above photo for proper side to side fitment mock-up testing only. Proper 2012 LS splitter installation requires removal of the Street splitter prior to LS splitter installation.)

302 HP

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
WinterSucks said:
Please tell me you have video of it on track! I did not see any in your youtube channel.

Gonna be some in here: http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/

302 Hi Pro said:
I think our LS splitters are fine up to Fords 155 MPH speed limiter settings. Could you imagine the consequences if it wasn't?

Don't have to imagine it. I've seen it. This was at about 90mph. One of the lower stanchions pulled through the splitter. The car was not involved in an off and did not go over curbs. And, it's got a fairly soft suspension on it. The owner heard it and slowed immediately. He slowly made it off the track. Could have been a lot worse had the speed been higher, or if he had not slowed down in time, or had gone over a curb.

IMG_7198-M.jpg

As far as video, Terry should be copying most of the videos to our YouTube channel. Bur for now most of them are in our gallery. The easiest way to see them is to scroll through our build thread, particularly the 2013 and 2014 sections. Terry usually posts at least one video per event we do.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'm surprised that Vorshlag build thread isn't required reading around here!

Based on the dates of my bookmark, looks like I've been following it since September '12.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
modernbeat said:
Don't have to imagine it. I've seen it. This was at about 90mph. One of the lower stanchions pulled through the splitter. The car was not involved in an off and did not go over curbs. And, it's got a fairly soft suspension on it. The owner heard it and slowed immediately. He slowly made it off the track. Could have been a lot worse had the speed been higher, or if he had not slowed down in time, or had gone over a curb.

IMG_7198-M.jpg

As far as video, Terry should be copying most of the videos to our YouTube channel. Bur for now most of them are in our gallery. The easiest way to see them is to scroll through our build thread, particularly the 2013 and 2014 sections. Terry usually posts at least one video per event we do.

Hi ModernBeat:

Thanks for posting the pic. But as I look at the pic, I see the LS splitter that failed was installed under the street splitter. Is this a correct 2013 LS splitter install?

I have a 2012 500A, (Non-LS), Boss 302 and I have an OEM LS splitter to install on my car this spring. In my research, I find the proper install method for the LS splitter, is to first remove the street splitter as this gives the stainless steel mounting screws deeper penetration in the mounting nut to spread the top of the receiver.

Looking again at the top of the failed street splitter, I see where the plastic nuts pulled out of the fascia, and the LS splitter mounting screws were not deep enough to spread the top of the plastic nut/receiver.

Would this condition lead the actual cause of failure in this particular case? Many of us here use the OEM LS splitter and I'm sure others as well as myself would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

All the Best,
Dave
302 HP

(Edit: NOTE: in my post of 01/27/15, (see above), I show a picture of my LS splitter underneath my Street splitter. This picture was only for mock test fit purposes for inspection of side to side fitment. Removal of Street splitter required for proper LS splitter install. Will edit above post for clarification)

NFSBOSS said:
The larger LS splitter is more susceptible to damage in off track excursions too. If I had one and it got damaged I'd replace it with the smaller WC splitter.

Better hurry up, the WC splitters are ending production from my understanding.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel