The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Is this strut junk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Installing Vorshlag CC plates, pulled left side strut and when I took the MM plates off I saw that the OEM Ford top cushion with its steel plate had been contacting the strut and wore about a 2 mm deep groove into the shaft right up at the top. These are the Ford FR3 struts from the track suspension kit. The steel plate is damaged as well, elongated in 2 places. MM calls for that OEM cushion/steel plate to be used under their CC plates. This is on the left side, the right side shows similar sign of plate on strut contact but did not actually cut into the strut. I did not install these struts/plates, had it done by a professional.

My buddy who has been in the garage biz and racing for about 60 years figures it's not a biggie since it's so close to the end of the strut. I'm not so sure since it's my understanding that MacPherson struts carry side loads as well as vertical loads. This year I'm running 100TW tires so I know suspension loading is going to increase.

So what says the assemblage? I say "Junk". Buddy says "not so fast, Junior". You say?

IMG_20200419_163850.jpg
IMG_20200419_163824.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If the bump stop keeps the wear point out of the strut body, I would run it. Check it after the first track day. If the strut is leaking, seal worn, replace.

If you are looking for a reason to upgrade, upgrade.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
If the bump stop keeps the wear point out of the strut body, I would run it. Check it after the first track day. If the strut is leaking, seal worn, replace.

If you are looking for a reason to upgrade, upgrade.

No, definitely not looking for a reason to upgrade, I like this package and they're not easy to find up here, plus they've only got about a dozen track days on them. Just looking for more reassurance that this thing isn't going to snap on me. Bump stop is 4-5" long so no way I could see this getting anywhere near the body of the strut, this mark is only an inch or so from the top of the strut. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well, after a bunch of reading and research it seems side loads are not that big a deal with MacStruts these days. Plus opinions from 100% of the people here and elsewhere say good to go. So good to go it is!
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it greatly.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Can I get more pictures? I'm curious about this contact (I run a plate similar to the MM one on my GT350), but this is the first I've seen in a while of the OEM spring mount/isolator digging into the strut body.

As long as it isn't getting bound up (which with the spherical on the MM it shouldn't), I'm not too worried, but a 2mm score is something to think about. Thankfully, those struts aren't too expensive and a replacement can be done individually IIRC.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Well that got me thinking about it, and I checked the spherical bearings to see if they were free and the one that is in the plate where the strut got chewed up is seized solid, the other one on the right side moves freely. So I am thinking that is likely why this happened?

These were installed April of 2018 had 1 track day that spring and about 5 in Sept/Oct of that year. Last year 11 track days I think. Here's a few more pics, the picture with the two plates beside each other it's the one on the right that is seized, I tried everything short of a hammer but it won't budge.

I was going to try to sell these things but I wouldn't give them away, they have been trouble since day one.

IMG_20200420_130225.jpg

IMG_20200420_130254.jpg

IMG_20200420_130119.jpg

IMG_20200420_131021.jpg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
It wouldn't move even with a bar through it? If so, that means you might have some seal wear on the strut itself. Was it noisy?

Looks like you caught it in time though. MM may replace the spherical for you, they are servicable IIRC

Got after it with an 18" bar and got it to move but it is very stiff, there was some black shiznit (I did not type shiznit, the forum software apparently caught me being bad!! LOL!! Needed a good laugh today!) on it that just wiped off, has that got a PTFE liner in it or something? There was no noise that I recall, if there was I am sure I would have heard it my car has stock Ford exhaust and is not loud at all. There is no sign of any leakage at the strut, yet.

I don't think I'm going to bother with MM, think I've pretty much had enough with them. This thing snapped a bolt on initial install at way less than their torque spec and the first thing they did was blame me and then blame my torque wrench. Then they charged me $35 USD to ship a replacement. Nah, done with MM.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
they should definitely be tight (I had a bit of round stock I used to align my vorshlag plates when new), but if its that tight its definitely putting a binding load into the strut shaft.

Keep an eye on that strut as time goes on, make sure that doesn't turn into a bigger problem (though I'm sure its fine - I just like vigilance)

TMO Supporting Vendors