The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Issue with MMD Hood Struts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Mine keep moving the bottom mounts even though they are tight. Any one else have this?

img_1243.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
mcmmotorsports said:
Did? What did you do to fix it?
I didnt bother with them. I now have redline hood struts. but you could try one of those star washers it might give the bolt enough bite to keep it from moving.

2010-04-01_130735_star_washer.jpg

Justin

mcmmotorsports said:
Well, I just sent an email to American Muscle, we'll see if they'll except a return without the original packaging. :-\
lmr sells the redline hood struts. They are really nice use code Windsor for 5% off

My redline struts do the same thing. The hood puts a lot of torque on the bracket. I ended up making an insert to fill the gap between the body and bracket. No more twisting.

Shawn

Justin

CPTMac689 said:
My redline struts do the same thing. The hood puts a lot of torque on the bracket. I ended up making an insert to fill the gap between the body and bracket. No more twisting.

Shawn
mine don't have this problem like the MMD ones did. Do you have the bolt in ones or older rivet in place ones?

Justin said:
mine don't have this problem like the MMD ones did. Do you have the bolt in ones or older rivet in place ones?

Bolt in. The problem isn't the bolt. It's that they left that large gap in the vertical area between the inner fender and the bracket. It leaves room to rotate. I just took some plastic lying around, cut it in a square to fit in between the fender and bracket, squeezed some silicon to hold it and prevent paint scratches and all was good. Tight fit, no room to rotate. Problem solved. I suppose I could have tightened the bolts down but if you strip them you're screwed.

Shawn

I think I already mentioned that I HAVE the bolt in Redline struts. I'm more than glad to defer to you guys when it comes to suspension design and certain other things, but I'm fairly certain that with an engineering degree and 10 years building power plants that I haven't managed to screw up a one bolt install.

My guess is that the distance from fender bolt to the edge of the inner fender is not consistent on the cars. So, if you have a car that has a shorter distance than the bracket hangs off the edge and leaves a gap which enables the slipping. I can tell you that TWO sets of Redline bolt in struts did the same exact thing as the OP. The pics of my car would look almost identical with the gap and twist.

Shawn

Hey, maybe I got a couple bad pairs of brackets. Maybe there is variation in the bolt to fender distance on the cars. It has to be one or the other. Either way, my whole point in chiming in was to say that:

A: Just because their Redline doesn't mean that it's a perfect fix. If that was true than mine would be perfect.

B: A plastic insert and some silicone caulk takes about 5 minutes to fix the problem (if you have a problem).

Peace out guys. I've spent WAY too much time on this one! ;D

Shawn

TMO Supporting Vendors