The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Issue with Steeda X11 balljoints / SLA Boss Comp LCA's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
neema, call Don at Steeda if you haven't already. They make it sound like I'm the only failure they've ever seen. Their team is out racing this weekend so I'm to get a callback tuesday, but it would be helpful if you have a dialog with them as well.

Also, put some GD hockey stripes on your car, so we can be twinsies, already.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
BMR reached out to me on another forum about their proforged balljoints. They feel pretty confident about them and are offering a really nice deal for me, so I'm going to hop on it. The Howes sound good, but are $$$ (and I know teams have had to replace those too, at limerock, a team stopped by to borrow tools to pull a set of them out of a 302S).

These may be no better, but given the background BMR gave me on their development and the deal, I'll give them a shot.

Steeda may send another set out to me. I may inventory them or flip them depending on the outcome.

Just a bummer as adding poly to the LCA has started quite the avalanche, a 302R rack, balljoints upon balljoints, bumpsteer kit, and lots of blood/sweat/tears/$$$.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Good to know. I was wondering if theirs were different and was meaning to ask Kelley. I didn't see a separate ball joint on their site, just installed on their A arms.

captdistraction said:
neema, call Don at Steeda if you haven't already. They make it sound like I'm the only failure they've ever seen. Their team is out racing this weekend so I'm to get a callback tuesday, but it would be helpful if you have a dialog with them as well.

Also, put some GD hockey stripes on your car, so we can be twinsies, already.

Haha. I need to get some faux "Baus" letters to go with the hockey stripes then.

I'll make sure to speak to Don. I'd be surprised if we're the only two people who have had ball joint issues.

captdistraction said:
BMR reached out to me on another forum about their proforged balljoints. They feel pretty confident about them and are offering a really nice deal for me, so I'm going to hop on it. The Howes sound good, but are $$$ (and I know teams have had to replace those too, at limerock, a team stopped by to borrow tools to pull a set of them out of a 302S).

These may be no better, but given the background BMR gave me on their development and the deal, I'll give them a shot.

Steeda may send another set out to me. I may inventory them or flip them depending on the outcome.

Just a bummer as adding poly to the LCA has started quite the avalanche, a 302R rack, balljoints upon balljoints, bumpsteer kit, and lots of blood/sweat/tears/$$$.

I'm following pretty much in your footsteps. I read into a little bit of discussion on Proforged vs Howe ball joints. Check it out: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/91364-Proforged-suspension-parts-Good-bad

p.s. I don't know if the website is legit, but FordRacingParts123.com has the rack at $885 sans shipping. http://fordracingparts123.com/chassis-parts/steering-systems/racing-electric-steering-rack-m-3200-epas/?gclid=COG5i-Lf3rwCFYdgfgodiXEACQ

capt, I ordered Howe units from Patrick @ Watson Racing. $252 shipped for the pair (ouch). Hopefully they stand up to my abuse. I don't know if it's required to tack the threaded collars on, but I'll probably do that anyways.

The threaded ball joint is only $77 each, so if you theoretically wear them out and want to replace one, it's around the same price as the Steeda ball joints.

Just FYI

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
neema said:
capt, I ordered Howe units from Patrick @ Watson Racing. $252 shipped for the pair (ouch). Hopefully they stand up to my abuse. I don't know if it's required to tack the threaded collars on, but I'll probably do that anyways.

The threaded ball joint is only $77 each, so if you theoretically wear them out and want to replace one, it's around the same price as the Steeda ball joints.

Just FYI

Neema
So you press the old ball joints out and the Howe setup comes with a threaded sleeve that secures the ball joint in the arm? Sounds easy and I also have the Steeda Arms and have noticed some play in the ball joints.
Steve

steveespo said:
Neema
So you press the old ball joints out and the Howe setup comes with a threaded sleeve that secures the ball joint in the arm? Sounds easy and I also have the Steeda Arms and have noticed some play in the ball joints.
Steve

I assume it's as straight forward as changing normal press-in ball joints

neema said:
I assume it's as straight forward as changing normal press-in ball joints

Keep us updated on the change.
Now not 100% sure of this information but it seems Patrick told us during the BMO tour, they have to make a small modification to the arm to fit the ball joint.

I have the Steeda arm waiting to go on the car so pretty interested on this.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
so Steeda changed their arms after I had ordered mine. They're shipping a fresh set as they feel they may have gone too far with the bushing durometer. I'm not completely convinced this is the issue, but they want to test that and see to take some data back to their balljoint manufacturer. I have to send my old arms back in, but I'll install their new arms and hold on to the BMR ball joints until the steeda side of this is resolved. Not terribly thrilled about reducing the durometer in those bushings, but they feel there is a minimal if no difference in overall performance with the added benefit of less stress being applied to components.

The customer service from Don over there has been great. However, I hope the test cycle on this stuff completes soon, my car's experience is one of a development racer moreso than aggressive street car, haha.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You're gonna be able to reconstruct everything forward of the firewall in an afternoon with all the expertise you've accrued over the past couple years.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel