The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Issue with Steering linkage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
The linkage section that secures the steering rack to the steering shaft was replaced on my car due to the old one having been stripped on its threads.

The replacement unit looks fine, however, no matter how much I tighten it, there's still some play in the steering rack joint (very noticeable from wheel and you can literally see the play in the joint). I'm already at the point where a 3/8 ratchet is not large enough to add more torque, and I don't want to strip out a $90 part (though the original was stripped due to the bolt being inserted on the wrong end, rookie mistake).

Anyone run into something similar? something I'm missing?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I've not experienced any failures with this part on the Boss. I did have this part removed during my header install, but had no issues reconnecting it.

It's was the articulating coupler at the end of the collapsible steel steering shaft that connects to the splined shaft on the rack assy. There is a slot in the steel shaft for the bolt that must be aligned on install of the bolt.

If this is the same part or item your posting about, don't take any chances with this part as failure could cause a loss of steering. I would recommend replacing it again or take it to the Dealer as soon as possible.

Good luck with your repair.
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel