The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 ITALIAN STANG BUILD :2018 MUSTANG PP1 10 SPEED Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MY ROADCOURSE MUSTANG18 10speed
(All the FACTS and TIPS I got from 1-year build experience will be here at the top )
FACT1: WEIGHT OF THE CAR :3789 LBS HALF TANK (with 24lbs lighter rotors and 20 lbs. wheels tires combo vs OEM)
FACT2: ON TRACK THE CAR DOES OVERHEAT. THE ENGINE OIL FIRST, TRANS, AFTER, ENGINE AFTER
FACT3: Borla Atak catback gave me 13-14 whp on 91 oct!!!
FACT4
: THE FAST SHIFTING ALLOWS YOU TO REMAIN CLOSE TO THE SHELBY ON THE STRAIGHTS
FACT5: MUSTANG LOVES CAMBER
FACT6: FRONT COILOVERS ARE 5LBS LIGHTER
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,
I always promised my self to create a dedicated Thread to my track build.
I have a MUSTANG pp1 10speed.
I GOT THIS CAR, In June 2018
I started from zero in terms of Mustang experience.
It has been my first Ford.
Being, Italian, I really grew up with the Myth of the American muscle cars, and after a year with a Challenger scat pack, I got this Pony.

The name is
Italian_stang

After this small introduction
I’d like to go deeper in what and when I’ve done to this car.
First: well…need some baseline... so after 500miles I brought this car on the Track: LAGUNA SECA.
First time there and 1: 45.xxx Stock
A Great base to start with!
But and there is always a but… The car immediately showed me the real limits of this platform:
1.most important: cooling issues.
2.brake issues.

As a diligent student, I’ve been researching Mustang for the previous 3 months and I Was already prepared on some common issues with the S550. however, the 18 was pretty new in many aspects
First of all, well I have the 10 speed. Second engine was a little different then before (this was and is a great PRO)
No one before me had Track heavily the 10speed on the track. I fast became a GUINEA PIG of myself and the 10speed community.

Let’s proceed by step though.
After my first day at the track ‘ve noticed that Rotors and Pads, were already heavily compromise. I did track the first time in Sport+ and the ABS TC and Stability were kicking in many times. But rotors were compromise and Ford decided to change them because ‘It was really weird’ (technical commentJ )
So, first thing first I did was: better and track oriented pads. I went with GLOC R12 (front) and r8 (rear) paired with MOTUL600 fluid (now I have 660).
The other thing I’ve noticed was that of course the tires were too small for the mass of the car.
So, after researching with many expert guys I’ve decided to go with 19x11 squared set up.
Squared (and I mean same offset of the wheels) of course only because the opportunity to rotate wheels/tires without issues and fast for an even wearing. This needed 3 things.
1. Spacer minimum 25mm
2. Longer studs
3. Camber plates
This brought me to buy some stuff:
Wheels: I got the SVE r350 19x11 with +50 offset
Tires: NITTO NT01 305mm
Spacer: OPMUSTANG 25mm
Studs and Lug nuts: 1inch longer studs and Open high perf lug nuts (OPMUSTANG)
Camber Plate: VORSHLAG
Alignment: -2.8 front – 2 rear
Well the car was ready for round 2. This brought me again in Laguna where I did a 1.44 low.
I was actually expecting more but I knew Nitto NT01 aren’t the fastest tires around But I was looking something predictable to learn and with a good wearing. They did their Job. They are good tires to learn your car at higher level than stock.
I did start to notice (again some overheating issue). DIFF in Laguna suffer a lot. And of course, OIL TEMP…
So, I bought Diff Cooler (FULL TILT BOOGIE) that I still didn’t installed yet (I tell you later why)
And the MISHIMOTO OIL COOLER FOR 2017 car. Thanks to a friend installation went ok. There was adaptation to made like, cut one hose, and use only 2 of the 4 bolts supporting the cooler (see pic)
This initially fix the problem. BUT also started to create an additional one. the oil cooler was sitting right in front of the OEM TRANS COOLER (same of the 6r80). This, together with the AC condenser reduces the air flow (actually, probably transmit hot air) to the trans cooler and the trans temps started to reach 240f.
240 is totally normal for a manual. unfortunately, it is not for an auto. Especially a 10 speed.
10speed uses an ULTRA LOW VISCOSITY fluid. this fluid is not made for those temps (however the mustang trans temp gauge says 240 is right in the middle.
What happened was I started to have hesitation on gear shift (I DO ONLY PADDLE SHIFTING). only on track and heavy usage (like on the hills of san Francisco)
So, I moved the oil cooler to the lower grille and this seemed to help with the problem.
This happened in November 2018.
Brakes were better but still getting some hard pedal and no brake. Temps were probably too high still for the pads to handle that.
So, after installing 2piece rotors (front and back) I created the first 2018 Brake ducts PAIRED WITH GREAT BACK Plate of Sal Molinare J
20190329_103719.jpg20190704_110643.jpg20190412_182906.jpg

Next MODS were concentrated on. Suspension components.
I INSTALLED BMR Handling springs (250 front 980 rear), cradle lockout,
I wasn’t able to installed the Rear IRS bushing (and I still didn’t)
Car was ready for another alignment and more aggressive camber. we went to -3.2 front and -2.2 rear

Before the end of the year, I asked Santa. some ‘aesthetic mods’
ZL1 front splitter lip
BORLA attack cat back
350R Anderson composite Wing replica (it is smaller but taller than OEM 350R)
Hood vents by Track spec Motorsport.
IMG_20190210_122822_864(1).jpg20190605_094759.jpg20190603_180148_HDR.jpg

I will find soon that Those items weren’t only for beauty but also functional.
I dyno my car before and after BORLA.
Borla gave me 13-14 whp on 91 oct!!!!!

With the new Year the competitive spirit in me came back.

As rugby player I was able to play anymore because back issues. I needed (and I still need the Adrenaline thrill). So, I started to look for some time trials.
I found AMERICAN MUSCLE CUP. Based in south Cal, (I live close to SAN FRANCISCO) I decided to give it a shot.
I found Bunch of great people running together at a very high level.
I decided to join them.
STREET MODIFIED and UNLIMITED were the main classes. Based, on points of modification (i.e. a tune is 2 points) and tire size (street max 295mm 100tw, modified 305mm 100tw max, unlimited up to slick all sizes) the competition accepts all American cars. I found Vettes, Camaros, mustangs and 1 viper ACR
I DECIDED TO JOIN THE STREET CLASS
I need to confess that it started as a game for me. I never tracked on those south Cal raceways.
With great surprised,
I won the 1st race J
After passing for round 2 (Chuckwalla was far at that time) and a practice day in Buttonwillow (march 31)
I decided to join them again for round 3.
And I was able to win again! So that was where I convinced myself and my family to continue to race with MUSCLE CUP for the season.
However,
Round 3 showed me again that the transmission was suffering. A LOT.
UNTIL... Trans decided to sear all the clutches when I was coming out from Ford dealership.
I HAD TO SKIP ROUND 4 cause my car was down.
Ford walnut creek replaced my trans in 14 days. It was incredible.
AFTER THIS EVENT,
I knew that something had to be done.
I NEEDED A BETTER AND BIGGER TRANS COOLER.
I picked a 25row setrab that I place in the middle of the upper grille in front of the Ac condenser
20190516_151619.jpg

Connecting the hoses to the Metal OEM ones wasn’t easy.
But eventually I did it with a great help of my friend Anthony (@GT350brakes)
I did test this new system in June in Buttonwillow with 105f .test passed!
In that occasion I was able also to upgrade 2 other things.
1. PADS. GLOC was giving issues (in the meantime I also tried R16 that glazed after 1 day) So I decided to try FERODO DS.UNO. what a Pad!!!!!
2. ROTORS. after 8 track days I wanted to change the GIRODISC. So, I got the APR Rotors with a great price. APR are slightly heavier than Girodic (24lbs vs 23.5) but it has many more fins.
20190624_130014.jpg

3. SWAY BAR. Thanks to the collaboration with BMR and Kelly AIKEN I got a BMR front sway bar paired with the 350R sway bar in the rear.
20190526_102043.jpg20190526_095112.jpg

Well… this allowed me to go 1full sec faster than first time with also 100f outside!!
In the mean time NITTO were gone and I got the 305mm 3R goodyear to use for regular HPDE.

Round5 happened week after and it was a success with a great win. I was able to replicate a very similar lap time with re71 285mm tires. (however, I think is more related to some mistakes I did in the previous round) with 100f
But…
Because there is always a but… J
My overheating issues weren’t gone... and this time wasn’t about the trans.
Actually, transmission was in good shape. Temps max 222f.
(I want to point out one thing: main issue with this transmission is that it has a Body valve (kind of thermostat) that opens ONLY after 190f!! so till that moment cooler is not working. Once it gets in the cooler than the system works. I’m sure if we can bypass this body valve the longevity would increase and the overheating issues will be gone right away)

It was actually the trans cooler to now creating issue. It was ...too big... so ENGINE started to suffer with head temps spiking at 245f and Engine Oil at 285f ...

This happened again at round 6 in Streets of Willow were engine and oil were high after only 2 session.
I was able to win there too but I didn’t want to risk any damages with a very hot day.
I came back with mixed feelings.
I was happy for the win (all those tracks were new for me)
I was really discouraged by the overheating issues.
I was ready to switch to a different car (ZL1 1LE which is a great car by the way...)
But I couldn’t give up yet...
So, I started to work around mid-September at a radical and innovative solution for my 2018.
I wanted to create a water spray system to be able to cooldown the cooler spraying them with mist Nozzles.
2 weeks of planning and study and the project took shape.

PROJECT CAME OUT WERY WELL!
But I received some critics saying that it wouldn’t have work because my coolers weren’t ducted.
So…
I ALSO CREATED A DUCTED SYSTEM FOR COOLERS AND RADIATOR
(BIG thanks also to Kevin, Honeybadger!)
20191008_105542_HDR.jpg

Project preliminary tests showed good results, but nothing can simulate the track temps.
In Oct 19i t was time for round 7 of Muscle Cup. In Chuckwalla.
I couldn’t skip another race so I decided to join my friends there!
And what better occasion to test the cooling system with 88f outside?
RESULTS: OUTSTANDING. ducting kept the oil temp at max 260f and when spraying the temp was at 240!!!!!
I won that day by 2tenths. the distraction of those testing was… too much
But honestly this was even bigger winner.
On NOV 11 I went to Sonoma raceway. another test day. After a first session with a new PB (1.48) I focus all the attention of stressing the spray and ducting system. 5 sessions total. (never happened before!) 3 within 2 hrs. ZERO OVERHEATING.
Except for the DIFF J because there is always a BUT.
I guess I never really pushed for full 20 min sessions that is why I didn’t have many diff issues (of course also because the 10-speed diff has a gear ratio that spin less than manual generating less heat). I will install the diff cooler for the next season. (SOLUTION I FOUND: I use a leaf blower and I pour some water in front to ‘spray ‘the diff cooler. This reduce the heat up to 100f
Plan as NOV 16 is to keeping the car for another year a least.
So I can now really focus resources and time to improve performance more than avoid my car to explode.
Next steps:
Coilovers.
Real Aero.
Engine mods.
Weight reduction.
On this my car weights, with lighter rotors and wheels (but bigger tires and additional cooling and ducts) :3794 lbs. (with me is 3989)

I think it is all for the moment. I hope to have next update after Dec 14. FINAL ROUNDS OF MUSCLE CUP!
Ciao,
Alessandro
IMG_20191123_133537_251.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool write up Italian Stallion!! At the speed you are going you need a decal on the back of your car --------Ciao . That would be perfect so all your competitors got a friendly comment when you fly by. Good luck on the 14th , wishing you the best!

Looking good and thanks for putting this all in one thread. TMO loves build threads.

PART 2 12/27/19

Happy holidays all
FIRST of all. I won the AMERICAN MUSCLE CUP STREET CLASS with a great last round 2nd overall just behind the GT4 of the superfast BEN!
WITH A 1:55 and my PB I think I'm the fastest Mustang S550.
but i hope it is just the first step.

White-Cotton Corners 110pm-BW3_3173_1513_Dec1419_CaliPhoto.jpg

With the season ended in December
I'm working for next year.
Main change. I got coilovers. Yeeeeh!
81199916_10220760004019329_7536994467140599808_n.jpg

I decided to go with JRi CORTEX 2way adjustable. Cortex JRi is not only one of the best choice in the market.
But they are also local for me (40 mins away)
So a natural consequence we will work together.1f642.png :)
Really excited to this new adventure.
Last year with the FP struts and BMR springs was like a plug and play thing. Very successful i must say. But i did feel that i was reaching the limit of what they could do for my drive style.
FUN FACT.
FRONT COILOVERS WEIGHT 5LBS LESS TOTAL
80317708_10220760005419364_7744625233612505088_n.jpg80372400_10220760005059355_3221591987329171456_n.jpg

I need to confess
I'worry about All the regulations of a coilover. So dial in will be my priority for the first 2 months. Thunderhill and Sonoma my 2 events before season start.
I did Install the front Coilovers
Together with those :
Bumbsteer and lateral control arm .
Let me say something..CHECK THE TOE AFTER. I COULDN'T even leave the garage to go to alignment shop.
so I found a nice trick on youtube : run a cord/wire hold by 2 heavy stuff rear and front of the car. align it to the rear wheels. and turn out I was off by...1 inch....each side!
ended 0 toe!!!YES...HALF INC TOWARD RIGHT BOTH WHEEL BUT OVERALL ALLIGNED LOL.
Screenshot_20191227-205149.png20191227_181112.jpg

FORD did final alignment
Monday, I'll be heading to CORTEX to Install the Rear COILOVERS paired with EIBACH sway bars ( CORTEX is suggesting them for better clearance and also all their TESTING are with them) LCA monoballs will also go in.

Once I dial in suspension I will start to focus on AERO.

SO NEWS : I've noticed lots of smog from left of the car from previous SONOMA and Buttonwillow. and spilled fluid. TRANS FLUID .We taught it was the trans vent spilling oil..probably that too ( overfilled maybe)..
but today it turns out my INPUT SHAFT SEAL...LEAKS. REMEMBER THIS IS MY SECOND TRANSMISSION. SO MAYBE NOT A PERFECT INSTALLATION?

So after taking the car back from CORTEX
I'LL HAVE FORD do:
1.compression test and checking for scoring (under warranty)
2.drop trasmission and change the seal ( warranty)

Last,
in 2020 I will do NASA TT2. yes TT2 like the Shelby350R but unfortunately the new regulation of NASA penalizes my 10speed (no matter if it is torque converter or PDK)
I would need to add 100lbs and run 100tw tires but then i won't be very competitive on tt3 either. (With me car is 3989)
so I'll add some power. To sit around peak 550 ish.
My HP/weight ratio is 9.7 with the adjustment so way far to the 8.05 of some cars lol but again I'm here to learn . this will be my second year. (getting ready for the c8 lol)
that's it for the moment.

Ciao,
Alessandro

Attachments

• 80854870_10220760004339337_1533835836192194560_n.jpg
    80854870_10220760004339337_1533835836192194560_n.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 80350510_10220760004659345_5327807343281307648_n.jpg
    80350510_10220760004659345_5327807343281307648_n.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the info about your build. As an A10 track rat, Its great to hear about what you have done. Has anyone mentioned to you about changing the rear gears to 355? Or did your PP car come with those gears? Do you run a diff cooler?

hi. thanks I actually need to update this :0 so many changes have been done.
pp1 comes with 3.55 in the rear. I don't use the diff cooler. run Oem fluid with some Motorkote ( friction reducer). fluid is always clear.
There are 2 track in cali where Temps go up for Diff. I found a great way to controlled them. LEAF BLOWER . POOR SOME WATER IN FRONT OF IT , and spray the diff for few minute.. so far this trick worked great!
The issues are more on the trans overheating and OIL ( and consequence the engine) overheating..
feel free to ask anything
Alex

PART 3.1 6/16/20

3min read

Oh boy, so much happened! Let's dig into it
Well, let's start here:
COMPRESSION TEST 245 PSI EVERY CYLINDER. the engine is doing well. GLAD THAT MOTORKOTE KEEPS THINGS CLEAN AND WITH LESS FRICTION (WEARING).
Installed a trans breather by CORTEX. seems it works.NO Smoking or visual leak (so I think it was just the OEM breather. Further investigation needed)
Just upgraded to 5w50 Oil from 0W40.I hope this can help with the protection even more.

COILOVERS: CORTEX JRi are very Jeri very nice. but not immediately. They request knowledge. of your car of course but also to COMUNICATE what is the " feeling" you receive from the car. it took me 2 months. after a 'weird test' in Thill where I dropped 7seconds my PB without any good feedback from the car. I went to buttonwillow just before the lockdown where I tried to regulate better the Compression and rebound, without knowing what I was doing: car was really nervous…and unstable on curbs so I couldn’t drive hard but I was able to bring the car sub 1:55 going 7tents better than previous set up.

I was so convinced to ‘go as hard as possible’ cause racecars. That I missed the point of coil overs. REGULATE THEM FOR YOUR DRIVE STYLE.
Well, it seems then I’m a softer guy… (ONLY FOR THE COILOVERS…! 😊 )

CORTEX JRi has 2 regulations:

1. LOW SPEED COMPRESSION/REBOUND.

2.HIGH SPEED rebound

I went softer with both. I CAN NOW FEEL MY CAR AGAIN!!

CHAPTER LOCKDOWN.

Well. it has been a great journey. with a bad start.

MY FIRST NASA TT EVENT GOT CANCELLED 1 DAY BEFORE HAPPENING.

Leaving me with …many tires.

So, I decided to spend this time increasing the performance and the safety of my car.
‘Big performance…big responsibilities …. naaah…

ROLLBAR: Watson 4point. Chromoly. 55lbs ish. Installed in my garage. Alone. doable if you have time, patience and split the work in many parts/days
I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DO IT WITH A BUDDY.

6point harness SCHROTH. Outstanding quality. And I used as base the Seat bracket by PCI RACING

https://www.pci-racing.com/

Very nice quality! And lower than regular seat bracket. Love it.

DIFFUSER: I installed my VERUS ENGINEER DIFFUSER. It needed some adaptations. To fit on mine BORLA ATAK and 2018 but the result seems nice.

DIFFUSER.png

I did some projects of SEMI FLAT FLOORS... but. this is a project for another day…

SPLITTER PROJECT. Well this was big. Very big. At least for me. Lots of brainstorming with friends any. Myself. the idea.

HAVING A SPLITTER THA CAN BE INSTALL/REMOVE IN 2MINS TOP WITHOUT THE NEED OF REMOVING THE BUMBER TO SECURE IT.

Yes. I Know you will say ‘use the quick release brackets. Not possible. Yet. Cause nothing for the Mustang available.

I also wanted it Light enough but also stable and strong for what I call the INFAMOUS ‘TERRY FAIR TEST (THE WALK OVER TEST 😊)

So, I started with material. APPERENTLY ALUMALITE is fancy. so, I got a 10mm 4’ x 8’

I removed my bumper. Placed it over the Alumalite (which had still some plastic protection on.)

Then I took a 3” tall piece of plywood. made it 6” long. I taped a Sharpie at the edge…and I followed the bumper borders… and I got my initial design.

Then I decided to buy MARIN plywood for a wood version. but more important. A cheap plywood for a TEMPLATE.

So, design was right on. now time for some fancy brackets.

I had this idea months ago. but never really explore it deeper. Till the lockdown. So, I did some projecting. Coming out with a cardboard prototype.

Brought it to SAL MOLINARE To try to develop it. he simplified the idea to make is simpler and faster to make it.

The idea is simple. A male female system. that I can slide in each other. and a retain bolt coming…from under the car.
20210125_110942.jpg

Right on spot!
FRONT.jpg

PART4.

No cool part. My first big Crash.
CRASH.jpg

Sonoma Raceway. Outlap Nasa TT finals. Cold tires + cold track+ TC issues = I hit the wall.

$10k of damage. THANKSFULLY PAID BY THE TRACK INSURANCE.

PART 5 2021 SEASON

Well fast forward to Dec 2020 I was able to patch the car, and run the exhibition Round of the SUPER GT CUP, the new Time trials for American’s cars.

Still waiting for a new radiator support, so No ducting and water spray installed. (I’ll wait for the new support first)

Round went well and I was Able to do my PB at Buttonwillow at 1:52 on 3R tires
BWILLOW RD.jpg

SPLITTER. Version 1.2 came in with a side retained bolt (vs the vers 1 with bolt UNDER THE SPLITTER)

Easier to connect, stable. Sturdy. 2 RODS in the front, 2 MALE-FEMALE brackets, 2 POSTERIOR SLIDE IN BRACKETS, 2 side Spring Snap Links

Walking on test still good.

JAN 17 2021

RD1 SUPER GT CUP. WILLOW SPRINGS.

And what a day! 1:27.0 on 200tw tires (A052) on my fifth session overall in WSIR after 2 years without going. ASSETTO CORSA DOES HELP. A LOT. Fun fact: I replicate within 2 tents the laptime I SPRINGS. did in the videogame with a 350R Shelby. (which is the closest car to mine).

SPLITTER VERS 1.3 I added a leading edge to my splitter. FOLLOWING THE advice of AJ HARTMAN. (thank you!)

NEW SIDE VENTS FROM RACE LOUVERS ARE NEXT LEVEL
Screenshot_20210221-174629.png

Car was really stable. We got the 1st place in the MOD class.

FEB 13 2021

RD1 NASA TIME TRIALS: WILLOW SPRINGS

3 weeks after my Super GT Cup I decided to do another 6 hrs. drive to try to get in the 26s at Willow springs.

Well... I DID IT! But... I finished 2nd.
DSC_5953_3.jpeg

My car is TT2 car. But there weren’t cars but mine and the ALBUQUERQUE STRIPPER. So, we decided to join tt1. With 10 tt1 someone could have won some tires!

1:26.2 I was leading. Till…Session 4 happened and Jim and his CORVETTE took the leading finishing in front of me by half second. Bummer. But he is a great driver and his car is fast.

Some thoughts. His car is a tt2 car too. 3000lbs (with driver) and 380whp

Mine is tt2. 3887 lbs. with 470whp. Yes I’m in the bottom of the tt2..

But 850lbs is huge that is why I DON’T think classes at NASA are perfect. I think They are too wide.

I HAD ISSUE in SESS1 with Traction control kicking in ALL the time. SO, I DECIDED TO TAKE IT OFF.

Was a first time for me. IT FELT GOOD 😊

DCT70 overwhelm the YOKO a052.

BUT THEY ARE GREAT FOR A7.

NEXT STEPS.

Change the Splitter biscuits. (AJ HARTMAN)

Working on vers 2 of the splitter with Front diffuser.

MOUNT THE NEW FRONT RADIATOR SUPPORT AND RE DUCT EVERYTHING.

And…that’s it!

I wish I could have more time to follow up with this thread.

Feel free to ask anything!

Last edited:
MY ROADCOURSE MUSTANG18 10speed
(All the FACTS and TIPS I got from 2-year build experience will be here at the top )
FACT1: WEIGHT OF THE CAR :3789 LBS HALF TANK (with 24lbs lighter rotors and 20 lbs. wheels tires combo vs OEM)
FACT2: ON TRACK THE CAR DOES OVERHEAT. THE ENGINE OIL FIRST, TRANS, AFTER, ENGINE AFTER
FACT3: Borla Atak catback gave me 13-14 whp on 91 oct!!!
FACT4
: THE FAST SHIFTING ALLOWS YOU TO REMAIN CLOSE TO THE SHELBY ON THE STRAIGHTS
FACT5: MUSTANG LOVES CAMBER
FACT6: FRONT COILOVERS ARE 5LBS LIGHTER
FACT 7: DCT70 overwhelm the YOKO a052. BUT are good for A7
FACT8: A052 HAS GOOD LATERAL GRIP BUT SUFFER IN BRAKING ZONE
FACT 9: A7 > 3R > A052
FACT 10: 3R are dangerous when cold!
FACT 11: stiffer is not always FASTER

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Orlando, FL
PART 3.1 6/16/20

3min read

Oh boy, so much happened! Let's dig into it
Well, let's start here:
COMPRESSION TEST 245 PSI EVERY CYLINDER. the engine is doing well. GLAD THAT MOTORKOTE KEEPS THINGS CLEAN AND WITH LESS FRICTION (WEARING).
Installed a trans breather by CORTEX. seems it works.NO Smoking or visual leak (so I think it was just the OEM breather. Further investigation needed)
Just upgraded to 5w50 Oil from 0W40.I hope this can help with the protection even more.

COILOVERS: CORTEX JRi are very Jeri very nice. but not immediately. They request knowledge. of your car of course but also to COMUNICATE what is the " feeling" you receive from the car. it took me 2 months. after a 'weird test' in Thill where I dropped 7seconds my PB without any good feedback from the car. I went to buttonwillow just before the lockdown where I tried to regulate better the Compression and rebound, without knowing what I was doing: car was really nervous…and unstable on curbs so I couldn’t drive hard but I was able to bring the car sub 1:55 going 7tents better than previous set up.

I was so convinced to ‘go as hard as possible’ cause racecars. That I missed the point of coil overs. REGULATE THEM FOR YOUR DRIVE STYLE.
Well, it seems then I’m a softer guy… (ONLY FOR THE COILOVERS…! 😊 )

CORTEX JRi has 2 regulations:

1. LOW SPEED COMPRESSION/REBOUND.

2.HIGH SPEED rebound

I went softer with both. I CAN NOW FEEL MY CAR AGAIN!!

CHAPTER LOCKDOWN.

Well. it has been a great journey. with a bad start.

MY FIRST NASA TT EVENT GOT CANCELLED 1 DAY BEFORE HAPPENING.

Leaving me with …many tires.

So, I decided to spend this time increasing the performance and the safety of my car.
‘Big performance…big responsibilities …. naaah…

ROLLBAR: Watson 4point. Chromoly. 55lbs ish. Installed in my garage. Alone. doable if you have time, patience and split the work in many parts/days
I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DO IT WITH A BUDDY.

6point harness SCHROTH. Outstanding quality. And I used as base the Seat bracket by PCI RACING

https://www.pci-racing.com/

Very nice quality! And lower than regular seat bracket. Love it.

DIFFUSER: I installed my VERUS ENGINEER DIFFUSER. It needed some adaptations. To fit on mine BORLA ATAK and 2018 but the result seems nice.

View attachment 62819

I did some projects of SEMI FLAT FLOORS... but. this is a project for another day…

SPLITTER PROJECT. Well this was big. Very big. At least for me. Lots of brainstorming with friends any. Myself. the idea.

HAVING A SPLITTER THA CAN BE INSTALL/REMOVE IN 2MINS TOP WITHOUT THE NEED OF REMOVING THE BUMBER TO SECURE IT.

Yes. I Know you will say ‘use the quick release brackets. Not possible. Yet. Cause nothing for the Mustang available.

I also wanted it Light enough but also stable and strong for what I call the INFAMOUS ‘TERRY FAIR TEST (THE WALK OVER TEST 😊)

So, I started with material. APPERENTLY ALUMALITE is fancy. so, I got a 10mm 4’ x 8’

I removed my bumper. Placed it over the Alumalite (which had still some plastic protection on.)

Then I took a 3” tall piece of plywood. made it 6” long. I taped a Sharpie at the edge…and I followed the bumper borders… and I got my initial design.

Then I decided to buy MARIN plywood for a wood version. but more important. A cheap plywood for a TEMPLATE.

So, design was right on. now time for some fancy brackets.

I had this idea months ago. but never really explore it deeper. Till the lockdown. So, I did some projecting. Coming out with a cardboard prototype.

Brought it to SAL MOLINARE To try to develop it. he simplified the idea to make is simpler and faster to make it.

The idea is simple. A male female system. that I can slide in each other. and a retain bolt coming…from under the car.
View attachment 62825

Right on spot!
View attachment 62822

PART4.

No cool part. My first big Crash.
View attachment 62820

Sonoma Raceway. Outlap Nasa TT finals. Cold tires + cold track+ TC issues = I hit the wall.

$10k of damage. THANKSFULLY PAID BY THE TRACK INSURANCE.

PART 5 2021 SEASON

Well fast forward to Dec 2020 I was able to patch the car, and run the exhibition Round of the SUPER GT CUP, the new Time trials for American’s cars.

Still waiting for a new radiator support, so No ducting and water spray installed. (I’ll wait for the new support first)

Round went well and I was Able to do my PB at Buttonwillow at 1:52 on 3R tires
View attachment 62821

SPLITTER. Version 1.2 came in with a side retained bolt (vs the vers 1 with bolt UNDER THE SPLITTER)

Easier to connect, stable. Sturdy. 2 RODS in the front, 2 MALE-FEMALE brackets, 2 POSTERIOR SLIDE IN BRACKETS, 2 side Spring Snap Links

Walking on test still good.

JAN 17 2021

RD1 SUPER GT CUP. WILLOW SPRINGS.

And what a day! 1:27.0 on 200tw tires (A052) on my fifth session overall in WSIR after 2 years without going. ASSETTO CORSA DOES HELP. A LOT. Fun fact: I replicate within 2 tents the laptime I SPRINGS. did in the videogame with a 350R Shelby. (which is the closest car to mine).

SPLITTER VERS 1.3 I added a leading edge to my splitter. FOLLOWING THE advice of AJ HARTMAN. (thank you!)

NEW SIDE VENTS FROM RACE LOUVERS ARE NEXT LEVEL
View attachment 62824

Car was really stable. We got the 1st place in the MOD class.

FEB 13 2021

RD1 NASA TIME TRIALS: WILLOW SPRINGS

3 weeks after my Super GT Cup I decided to do another 6 hrs. drive to try to get in the 26s at Willow springs.

Well... I DID IT! But... I finished 2nd.
View attachment 62823

My car is TT2 car. But there weren’t cars but mine and the ALBUQUERQUE STRIPPER. So, we decided to join tt1. With 10 tt1 someone could have won some tires!

1:26.2 I was leading. Till…Session 4 happened and Jim and his CORVETTE took the leading finishing in front of me by half second. Bummer. But he is a great driver and his car is fast.

Some thoughts. His car is a tt2 car too. 3000lbs (with driver) and 380whp

Mine is tt2. 3887 lbs. with 470whp. Yes I’m in the bottom of the tt2..

But 850lbs is huge that is why I DON’T think classes at NASA are perfect. I think They are too wide.

I HAD ISSUE in SESS1 with Traction control kicking in ALL the time. SO, I DECIDED TO TAKE IT OFF.

Was a first time for me. IT FELT GOOD 😊

DCT70 overwhelm the YOKO a052.

BUT THEY ARE GREAT FOR A7.

NEXT STEPS.

Change the Splitter biscuits. (AJ HARTMAN)

Working on vers 2 of the splitter with Front diffuser.

MOUNT THE NEW FRONT RADIATOR SUPPORT AND RE DUCT EVERYTHING.

And…that’s it!

I wish I could have more time to follow up with this thread.

Feel free to ask anythin

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi Flyhalf, did I see right a while back that adding your LTHs did not make any more power? Was curious if you managed to fix that, it went by so quickly in facebook that I missed what happened.

Hi Flyhalf, did I see right a while back that adding your LTHs did not make any more power? Was curious if you managed to fix that, it went by so quickly in facebook that I missed what happened.
I have a dyno session next friday. We will try to log directly there. We will see i suspect the dyno was an issue. However if i don't gain amy extra power that means all you need was catback (+14whp)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
How is was your duno sheet looking? This is one from a 2018 10r80 that just came out of the shop I use, it was running E85, lth and a CAI and custom exhaust.

1629598720418.png

TMO Supporting Vendors