The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 ITALIAN STANG BUILD :2018 MUSTANG PP1 10 SPEED Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
If no one else is interested - I am. Got a kit car coming that sure would be sweet with a good 4 speed
I am, I'm just looking at various options and at the moment don't have any cash to spend anyway.
All my left over bucks went to an ABS braking system and a new rear brake kit.
Running both SCCA and NASA events plus Nationals pretty much tapped my reserves.

Winter preparation for

more cooling for the race car and in Preparation for some wheel to wheel action( first 10speed 5.0 ever)

948 setrab oil cooler. (From mishimoto cooler)

650 setrab trans cooler (from 934 so little smaller cause is too cold now with also bypass lol )

I will stack them. (trans first ,oil.cooler after and plenty of free flow to radiator)

Thinking on tilting the cooler and radiator.
And it is an easy thing to do. Im not sure how BENEFICIAL will be tilting few degrees?

Of course all boxed and ducted.

In also considering the oil cooler BEHIND THE RADIATOR. technically is the way to go cause is the one with higher temps. however the thing that suffer the most for us is the Oil. So wanna take care of it. And stacking them leaves lots of free flow to the radiator.

Also shredded the shroud but is a mistake cause the fans are not attached to the radiator. There is a gap of 1"( due to the shroud shape) that means the fan will recycle air from the new opening rather than "pull from the radiator.

2 options :

1. I can build a shield around the fans

2. I just install.a SPAL fan.
Anyone knows if i can "plug and play the oem fan plug? See pic

Will keep u posted

PXL_20221125_155905870.jpg

PXL_20221125_155911074.jpg

PXL_20221121_222553868.jpg

PXL_20221125_160009574.jpg

PXL_20221125_155942937.jpg

Seems you have the trans temps under control, is there no way you can move that elsewhere to keep better flow through the front two radiators? Also, how close of a stack did you have them now? I wonder if this affects performance if they are not totally sandwiched together. Most setups that I see are usually stacked right on top of each other with no room between. I think this helps minimize the flow losses.

Negatives:

• Performance is highly dependent on airflow.
  • Airflow is highly dependent on coolant stack pressure differential, which increases from adding another heat exchanger (engine oil cooler) to the stack.
  • With higher coolant stack pressure, flow through ALL UNITS is decreased.
This article brings up some good points if you havent seen this one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Seems you have the trans temps under control, is there no way you can move that elsewhere to keep better flow through the front two radiators? Also, how close of a stack did you have them now? I wonder if this affects performance if they are not totally sandwiched together. Most setups that I see are usually stacked right on top of each other with no room between. I think this helps minimize the flow losses.

Negatives:

• Performance is highly dependent on airflow.
  • Airflow is highly dependent on coolant stack pressure differential, which increases from adding another heat exchanger (engine oil cooler) to the stack.
  • With higher coolant stack pressure, flow through ALL UNITS is decreased.
This article brings up some good points if you havent seen this one.
Good article...

Trans cooler and oil cooler are attached eachother.
I will add some foam to protect them on scratching eachother.

trans cooler overlaps the oil cooler partially.
i did it on purpose it is actually less overlap than this pic cause trans cooler(in orange) is even more towards the right on the car.)
also the radiator get a lot of free flow still.
I'm thinking to box the trans cooler and the remaining portion of the oil cooler.
i simulate the coolers on the side but they are too big and will interfere also with the big front diffuser.
As always i test it.. and if it doesnt work.. I'll change it.
But this felt ..a good compromise to start with considering also that im moving and i dont have tons of time. 😅

IMG_20221125_120948_524.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SF Bay Area
Winter preparation for

more cooling for the race car and in Preparation for some wheel to wheel action( first 10speed 5.0 ever)

948 setrab oil cooler. (From mishimoto cooler)

650 setrab trans cooler (from 934 so little smaller cause is too cold now with also bypass lol )
Wow! Trans is too cold!? Could you explain why you want it warmer? Is shifting and performance negatively affected?

I'm still planning on doing 10r80 internal 190F bypass, and then installing 160F thermostatic valve in the lines between cooler and trans. I would guess 140F-160F operating temp is the sweet spot.

Wow! Trans is too cold!? Could you explain why you want it warmer? Is shifting and performance negatively affected?

I'm still planning on doing 10r80 internal 190F bypass, and then installing 160F thermostatic valve in the lines between cooler and trans. I would guess 140F-160F operating temp is the sweet spot.
Is actually too cold.
I want 180 190
Pressure otherwise changes and clutches work with right pressure.
170 190 is sweet spot

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SF Bay Area
Is actually too cold.
I want 180 190
Pressure otherwise changes and clutches work with right pressure.
170 190 is sweet spot

What are you currently hitting on track for trans and oil temps?

If you are targeting 180-190F, would it be feasible to implement a sort of active airflow/grill/shutter system? My brother and I noticed his BMW will automatically open/close the grill during and after track sessions - I think some Mustangs have this as well. I have my water spray system wired to a switch in my sunglass holder that I can actively turn on or off whenever I want. Maybe you could have a switch activated low profile shutter system to block/unblock trans cooler airflow whenever you want.

You may have to play with your setup a bit and perhaps sacrifice a little bit of oil cooler surface area, but maybe it could work to keep trans temps where you want them.

What are you currently hitting on track for trans and oil temps?

If you are targeting 180-190F, would it be feasible to implement a sort of active airflow/grill/shutter system? My brother and I noticed his BMW will automatically open/close the grill during and after track sessions - I think some Mustangs have this as well. I have my water spray system wired to a switch in my sunglass holder that I can actively turn on or off whenever I want. Maybe you could have a switch activated low profile shutter system to block/unblock trans cooler airflow whenever you want.

You may have to play with your setup a bit and perhaps sacrifice a little bit of oil cooler surface area, but maybe it could work to keep trans temps where you want them.
Unfortunately we cannot do that.
The oil.is the one who gets the hotter. If i shut the flow down the oil will be way too hot.
Trans is not that far tho.
I feel this should work and worst case i can "tape the grille" to reduce just trans cooler flow

New ducting almost completed.
Some final trimming needed to fit the crashbar.
The asymmetric allignment will allow all the radiator and coolers to get some direct fresh air. Also the front cooler is the trans cooler which is the coldest one.
I did not have overheating issue before. But this is a preparation for possible w2w action.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang , you have enough coolers in there it looks like you could air condition an entire house, ha! Nice job and all will be hidden from competitors once the front fascia is back in place - if they only knew?

Last edited:
Cool!!, pun intended..... How much weight did all that add to the nose?? looking forward to seeing videos of your wheel to wheel action.
Actually I think kind of even. Before I had 2 coolers little smaller but the alluminium sheets used were thicker. These are 025. Way lighter. So should compensate the additional fluid weight.

IMG_20211114_150235_814.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, the louvers from underneath look like the maw of Xenomorph from Alien , ready to gobble up anything in its path. Well, I guess you will be gobbling up the competition with all the cool mods to the Italian Stallion TrackHorse!

Got my first test to see if coolers work.
I drove to @Fabman to fabricate my idea of ballast.
Came out very well.
4 M8 bolts holding a thick steel plate with a half dumbbell welded into it. Another Fantastic job By SAL MOLINARE. Grazie🙂
Also identified where to install the fire extinguisher bottle for the fire suppression system.

Temps were really good. (Check pics)
67f out
Did some pulls. Stop at the lights. Got traffic.
Temps were...cold.
Yeah maybe too much for street usage.
Good thing of the new set up is i can tape the trans inlet to put the trans in right temp.

I dont have thermostats for anything. I might put back the one for the engine oil.
I've noticed higher Oil pressure. Around 90 95 psi.
Before was 80 85
I think is because the new teflon hoses are slighlty smaller in ID than mishimoto ones.
Not sure if an issue or not.

Next.
My new splitter even faster quick release.
If it work ..will be a game changer. And i might create a kit for 2018 splitter mount.

IMG-20230112-WA0026.jpeg

IMG-20230112-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20230112-WA0021.jpeg

PXL_20230112_204858444.jpg

PXL_20230112_212212236.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors