The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Jack and car stands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I've seen a picture on here somewhere that shows the jack and car stand points on a boss flipped on it's side but I can't for the life of me find it. Can someone point me in the right direction thanks!

Tucson302 said:
LOL I didn't even notice that, so is this not accurate for the boss?
Here's a hint, underneath your Boss there's a Mustang GT. ;) The only difference that effects jacking points is the side exhaust pipes.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
Here's a hint, underneath your Boss there's a Mustang GT. ;) The only difference that effects jacking points is the side exhaust pipes.

Thanks Rick the side pipes are what I'm trying to get too once I get those disks you mailed me ;D

I have yet to get her off the ground and didn't want to break anything

Tucson302 said:
Thanks Rick the side pipes are what I'm trying to get too once I get those disks you mailed me ;D

I have yet to get her off the ground and didn't want to break anything
Do you have ramps? I use my Race Ramps when I change my exhaust. In fact I did it last weekend when I removed my discs for a track day this weekend. When you jack the car up using the pinch weld use a spot directly in front of the side exhaust and you'll be fine. Just make sure you don't place the jack on the side exhaust.

Tulsa, OK
Weld in some jacking rails. Then you won't have to worry about finding a good spot and you can jack the whole side of your car up at once 8)

But where the picture shows works well too

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I recently bought a set of ramps and tried to drive it up going forward and the splitter kept getting in the way so I thought jacking and using jack stands would be a better option

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
Jack stands work fine too. I have the long Race Ramps and have no problems with dragging the front splitter on them.

Yeah that's what the dude told me when I took the ramps back to the parts store, get the race ramps! So instead of spending another $200 I just decided to use my floor jack and stands but wanted to make sure I did it right.

NeuRon

2012 500A #1626
Not to discount the satisfaction of DIY, but swinging into a muffler shop would have you taken care of in the amount of time it takes to go the parts store. :) . There's something to be said for that satisfying feeling of just popping in and getting it done while you wait. The change, so fast and cheap, will put a smile on your face.

I may move to the 5/8", for personal pleasure, but there are a lot of really loud cars and diesel trucks around here. I'm enjoying fighting back with the 3/4", for the time being. ;D

I've got an older set of plastic ramps (not Race Ramps) that I use, but have to put a 2' long 2x6s in front of them that I drive up onto first to get the splitter high enough to clear the ramp angle.

One thing I have yet to figure out is a safe way to get the car up on 4 stands. If the front of the car is up on ramps, the rear is too low to get a jack under the car to reach the differential housing. And I'm loathe to jack from either side under the pinch welds b/c I don't want to eventually crush the pinch weld area and when jacking from that corner the car will be precariously unbalanced.

Would sure like to know what others are doing to safely jack the car up on 4 stands.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I use rhino ramps and drive up them often to work on the boss. it hits the splitter just a little but I just kick the ramps under it and the splitter moves up. No problems at all. and for the disc you should be backing up on the ramps and getting the rear up on the ramps......

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1483.0

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Re: Re: Jack and car stands

NeuRon said:
Not to discount the satisfaction of DIY, but swinging into a muffler shop would have you taken care of in the amount of time it takes to go the parts store. :) . There's something to be said for that satisfying feeling of just popping in and getting it done while you wait. The change, so fast and cheap, will put a smile on your face.

I may move to the 5/8", for personal pleasure, but there are a lot of really loud cars and diesel trucks around here. I'm enjoying fighting back with the 3/4", for the time being. ;D
With something like the restictor plates, I can't see myself taking it to a shop. It honestly only takes 10 minutes at most, that includes both sides.

TMO Supporting Vendors