The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Jack Plate to Scissor Jack Adapter Plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I recently installed 06mach1's jacking plates and they work very well with a floor jack which is the way they were intended. I drive my Boss to work every day so I wanted the security of a full size spare tire and scissor jack. When I tried to jack up my Boss with the scissor jack it was very unstable because the top of the jack is flat with nothing to lock onto the jack plates. I made an adapter so I could safely jack up the car using my scissor jack and jacking plates. Magnets hold the adapter plate to the jack plate so you can get the scissor jack under the adapter w/o having to hold it. It keeps the jack from slipping off the jack plates. Let me know what you think?

Tim

DSC00797_zpsjhyrhkrm.jpg
DSC00792_zpsalvxzvbt.jpg
DSC00790_zpsjvhz2sfk.jpg
DSC00796_zpsjf4gqhuc.jpg
DSC00795_zpskzjfggwo.jpg
DSC00791_zps644oftli.jpg
DSC00794_zpsl5savb7r.jpg

The machine shop is called Precision Machine Inc. The owners name is Scott Plumlee (731)234-5942 or [email protected] and he said he would sell them as shown for $68 each with free shipping within the USA using USPS priority mail. Note: I have nothing to do with this product other than designing it for my own use but you are free to call Scott so he can make one for you. I can vouch for his high quality and honesty.

Tim

I'll send him an email.

DEye said:
Asking about the Spare, did you swap wheels for those or just picked up that one in a compatible size as your Spare ?

Thanks,
Don

I just picked that one rim for a spare as the stock wheel is too heavy to place in the trunk w/o getting a hernea.

Tim

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
thehueypilot said:
The machine shop is called Precision Machine Inc. The owners name is Scott Plumlee (731)234-5942 or [email protected] and he said he would sell them as shown for $68 each with free shipping within the USA using USPS priority mail. Note: I have nothing to do with this product other than designing it for my own use but you are free to call Scott so he can make one for you. I can vouch for his high quality and honesty.

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim!

thehueypilot said:
I recently installed 06mach1's jacking plates and they work very well with a floor jack which is the way they were intended. I drive my Boss to work every day so I wanted the security of a full size spare tire and scissor jack. When I tried to jack up my Boss with the scissor jack it was very unstable because the top of the jack is flat with nothing to lock onto the jack plates. I made an adapter so I could safely jack up the car using my scissor jack and jacking plates. Magnets hold the adapter plate to the jack plate so you can get the scissor jack under the adapter w/o having to hold it. It keeps the jack from slipping off the jack plates. Let me know what you think?

Tim

[img width=900

May I ask what rim / size / tire were used for your spare. Verry well done. This will fit the front >> right?
I have been thinking about this for the last 3 years. My luck will run out one day and DO NOT want to use what was supplied with the car. Right now all I carry is a tire plug kit. would rather have the full size spare

The spare tire and rim are from thetirerack.com and consists of 19x8.5 Black w/Milled Accent MOTEGI RACING MR126 and a 255/40R19 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tire. I used that size so that it fit over the large brembo brakes in the front knowing it was a little taller than the rear tire but I can drive slow as not to heat up the rear torsion device. I had no idea that a spare tire assembly was going to cost as much as it did (approximatly $457 for tire/rim/TPS combo and $125 (not sure of exact amount) for jack assembly from Ford dealer) but I reasoned it would pay for itself after the first towing bill when they ripped the front splitter off the car. I did get a flat tire (rear) just before I got all of this togather by running over a 3" deck screw with my new Michelin Pilot Super tires.

Tim

thehueypilot said:
The spare tire and rim are from thetirerack.com and consists of 19x8.5 Black w/Milled Accent MOTEGI RACING MR126 and a 255/40R19 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tire. I used that size so that it fit over the large brembo brakes in the front knowing it was a little taller than the rear tire but I can drive slow as not to heat up the rear torsion device. I had no idea that a spare tire assembly was going to cost as much as it did (approximatly $457 for tire/rim/TPS combo and $125 (not sure of exact amount) for jack assembly from Ford dealer) but I reasoned it would pay for itself after the first towing bill when they ripped the front splitter off the car. I did get a flat tire (rear) just before I got all of this togather by running over a 3" deck screw with my new Michelin Pilot Super tires. Shown below is what these rims would look like on my car but I am sticking with the stockers for now.

Tim

led%20Accent%20MOTEGI%20RACING%20MR126_zpsnk2npulr.jpg

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
I had a similar issue with jacking while using a standard floor jack. The jack pedestal was too wide to fit on the jack point. I ended up making an adapter that fits nicely on the pinch weld rib. This might be too advanced for anyone not having some basic shop tools, but if you do this is a very helpful tool.

1st, take a piece of something like nylon or Delrin bar stock about 2" in diameter and 1" long. (Polycarbonates are too brittle)
Jack%20disk%201_zpsamr6tkkq.jpg

Using a table saw, cut a single slot through the middle about .25" deep. A standard blade will cut a slot a little over 1/8" wide which will work fine.
Jack%20disk%203_zps2solfney.jpg

At this point the adapter is actually sufficient for most uses, but I wanted something that would stay on the pinch weld so I drilled two .246 diameter holes (letter D drill) to press in some magnets. The magnets are .250 diameter and .250 long. You can see one of the magnets in the photo below.
Jack%20disk%202_zpsijjpowxh.jpg

I pressed in the magnets flush with the bottom of the slot. The adapter will now stay on the pinch weld as you raise the jack pedestal.

SeattleBoss said:
I had a similar issue with jacking while using a standard floor jack. The jack pedestal was too wide to fit on the jack point. I ended up making an adapter that fits nicely on the pinch weld rib. This might be too advanced for anyone not having some basic shop tools, but if you do this is a very helpful tool.

1st, take a piece of something like nylon or Delrin bar stock about 2" in diameter and 1" long. (Polycarbonates are too brittle)
Jack%20disk%201_zpsamr6tkkq.jpg

Using a table saw, cut a single slot through the middle about .25" deep. A standard blade will cut a slot a little over 1/8" wide which will work fine.
Jack%20disk%203_zps2solfney.jpg

At this point the adapter is actually sufficient for most uses, but I wanted something that would stay on the pinch weld so I drilled two .246 diameter holes (letter D drill) to press in some magnets. The magnets are .250 diameter and .250 long. You can see one of the magnets in the photo below.
Jack%20disk%202_zpsijjpowxh.jpg

I pressed in the magnets flush with the bottom of the slot. The adapter will now stay on the pinch weld as you raise the jack pedestal.
Nice work and a great idea.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel