The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

jacking the rear of your boss for tire change? Best way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have read that you should not jack from the pumkin on these cars? I used to do it but it was on older cars.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
I have read that you should not jack from the pumkin on these cars? I used to do it but it was on older cars.
it's the same old 8.8 housing with a different cover....just make sure it's centered and all will be well.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
+2 on the pumpkin. Just make sure the saddle of the jack doesn't scrape against the aluminum cover. Worked great for me.

IMG_2209.jpg

Thats the way I have always done it ,.... till going thru the owners manual waiting for the wife in the store one day and it warns you not to jack from the differential.....odd !

This is all good. I remember reading a thread telling not to jack from the pumpkin and was not sure even though It makes good sense to be able to. I am putting a one piece aluminum driveshaft in ;D

seca954 said:
Where does Ford say to jack it from then?

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-how-to/ideafor-new-thread/msg36404/#msg36404

Ford recommends lifting from the pinch welds, I am not sure if the manual picture is only for lifts but I assume they recommend this for all types of lifts and jacks.

I do not know the reason why they say do not lift from the pumpkin. It may be because if the jack is not properly positioned you could damage the cover. However there may be other reasons so I would avoid lifting from there. Personally I lift from the pinch weld and place jack stands under the axle tubes, FWIW.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
FWIW I never lift from the pinch welds....ever and no dire consequences in the 17 years of doing such. the important thing is lift somewhere that can support the weight you are lifting and a place that wont slip off of your jack pad.

TMO Supporting Vendors