The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Jackstand Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
I have a really tall jackstand that I regret purchasing and want to switch it out to something more low profile.
Option 1

Option 2

I was wondering what you guys thought or use as a low profile jack primarely to change brake pads or rotor checks at the track. I know some just throw a jack underneath and check but want to be extra careful.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
The only HF stands I have seen issue with...and I believe the only ones that were recalled are the ones where the release lever stayed horizontal rather than angling down when engaged. I have a pair of 20+ year old HF stands that have given no problems. However, I agree...buy American when and where you can.

GA
I had harbor fright jack stands and I NEVER trusted them. Then they came out with a recall for them confirming my suspicion so I got my money back and found a US made jack.

www.usjack.com

Quality is great, and I don't wonder if my car is going to fall on me.
Love to support an american brand but I need something a tad more low profile.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Murrells Inlet, SC
I use 4 aluminum fixed height stands ( looks like a sawhorse) they're light and stack on themselves. I believe I bought them from summit. My car has jacking rails under the rockers. Jack up one side, place stands front and back, then do the other side.

I also have a Ranger 5000 lift, It is not really portable, especially at my age. It also takes up a lot of room. As stated, put plywood under the stands to protect the paddock asphault.

GA
I've heard the organizers state that you should put a piece of wood underneath the jack stands if you have to use them granted I started tracking this year but everyone that I've noticed does not utilize ply but their also the same people who don't put weights on their canopies. Granted, I'm not that kind of person and do put weights on my canopy. How think does the plywood need to be? May need to visit home depot or lowes to see if they got scrapes. LOL hate to buy a whole sheet for 4 pieces of ply to cover the base but I totally get it. I thought it was more of a safety thing than protecting the ground of the paddock. the sunex is the winner tonight in aluminum. my back will thank me as i carry these in a box of track tools and hopefully its the height that I'm looking for in regards to individual brake pad changes

1631935515794.png

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Murrells Inlet, SC
I've heard the organizers state that you should put a piece of wood underneath the jack stands if you have to use them granted I started tracking this year but everyone that I've noticed does not utilize ply but their also the same people who don't put weights on their canopies. Granted, I'm not that kind of person and do put weights on my canopy. How think does the plywood need to be? May need to visit home depot or lowes to see if they got scrapes. LOL hate to buy a whole sheet for 4 pieces of ply to cover the base but I totally get it. I thought it was more of a safety thing than protecting the ground of the paddock. the sunex is the winner tonight in aluminum. my back will thank me as i carry these in a box of track tools and hopefully its the height that I'm looking for in regards to individual brake pad changes

View attachment 68710
1/4 inch will do

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
The Summit ones are a bit overkill at 22 tons, however the other are a definite NO, no three legged jack stands.
As for the thickness of the plywood it depends on the jack stand. Jack stands legs that don't have a foot where they contact the ground tend to chew up the plywood.

TMO Supporting Vendors