The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Jeff's GT500 CFTP Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Noticed in your build you have a roll cage and wondered it you have the Watson Racing one or had a full cage built? We definitely all hope to see some videos when you get to the track --- great looking Beast!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
California
Noticed in your build you have a roll cage and wondered it you have the Watson Racing one or had a full cage built? We definitely all hope to see some videos when you get to the track --- great looking Beast!
Thanks! I bought the car used with 800 miles - already had the cage in it. Ill look up the cage when i get back from vacation - they guy included the receipts for everything! Ive been to Thunderhill twice and Laguna Seca once with this car already. Will try to find some videos from my Garmin Catalyst and upload them. My last track day at Thunderhill wasnt that great as my front right tire got heat cycled too many times and I dropped from 2:06ish Times to 2:20, to 2:25, to 2:30…. Couldn’t keep up with a GTI in the end, that was embarrassing! Haha. So much understeer. Will get new tires and an alignment before the next track day.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
michigan
Thanks! I bought the car used with 800 miles - already had the cage in it. Ill look up the cage when i get back from vacation - they guy included the receipts for everything! Ive been to Thunderhill twice and Laguna Seca once with this car already. Will try to find some videos from my Garmin Catalyst and upload them. My last track day at Thunderhill wasnt that great as my front right tire got heat cycled too many times and I dropped from 2:06ish Times to 2:20, to 2:25, to 2:30…. Couldn’t keep up with a GTI in the end, that was embarrassing! Haha. So much understeer. Will get new tires and an alignment before the next track day
did you have any issues at laguna with sound?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
California
did you have any issues at laguna with sound?
I fail laguna 103db days as well as at thunderhill if they’re measuring that day (which has happened once). The car automatically goes to “track” exhaust if the load on the engine is great enough. This includes WOT obviously, it also partial throttle if heading up a hill (i.e. laguna).

Here’s a fix: There is a fuse for the exhaust valves, put them in sport, and pull the fuse and they will stay in sport. This was enough to pass 103db At Thunderhill. I haven’t tried this at Laguna yet.

warning on fix: I don’t really know if this is good for the engine. I assume it pulls timing and limits power since the exhaust isn’t fully open, to avoid damaging itself… but I don’t know. Also, when I put the fuse back, it took a few key cycles to make the valves work properly again. They seem fine now, but that made me a bit nervous 😬

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Merrick, New York
I fail laguna 103db days as well as at thunderhill if they’re measuring that day (which has happened once). The car automatically goes to “track” exhaust if the load on the engine is great enough. This includes WOT obviously, it also partial throttle if heading up a hill (i.e. laguna).

Here’s a fix: There is a fuse for the exhaust valves, put them in sport, and pull the fuse and they will stay in sport. This was enough to pass 103db At Thunderhill. I haven’t tried this at Laguna yet.

warning on fix: I don’t really know if this is good for the engine. I assume it pulls timing and limits power since the exhaust isn’t fully open, to avoid damaging itself… but I don’t know. Also, when I put the fuse back, it took a few key cycles to make the valves work properly again. They seem fine now, but that made me a bit nervous 😬
I have a 2020 GT500 Handling Pack. I've gotten lucky so far with the sound restriction at Lime Rock Park 86db. (Connecticut). I mainly ease up on the throttle coming passed the tower for the first 2 sessions of the day. Planning on adding front and rear aero in the off season. Other then that the suspension is done and I'm running 315 Hoosiers R7 on Signature Wheels.Gt500.png

TMO Supporting Vendors