The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

JLP Cam Tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

But as I understand it, Ford will know you have done that, even if you return the TK tune to the ECM before a dealer sees it. A code will tell Ford that the ECM has been flashed and how many times. Anything more than 1 flash (TK) voids warranty.

Is that still true?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
rpm3dinc said:
But as I understand it, Ford will know you have done that, even if you return the TK tune to the ECM before a dealer sees it. A code will tell Ford that the ECM has been flashed and how many times. Anything more than 1 flash (TK) voids warranty.

Is that still true?
oh I dont know. I would guess that they could tell if it had been flashed just didnt know how they would do it.

Yeah the ECU keeps track of how many flashes...

But back on track here DUDE you just made my day....

I'm going to wait a bit then i'll be getting a tuner, exhaust, and maybe even the FR cams down the road....

Car sounds sick!!! I bet you have gotten some stank eyes sittin at the stoplight. ;) Too many hatas in Va Beach. ;D
I must say the diesels have the one up here. The tuner on my F250 has the ability to store 16 different tunes and all are selectable "on the fly". (although some tuners dont recommend this) The "chip" plugs right into the service point on the ECM and I have a switcher mounted on the a-pillar.
Not sure why a ford truck ECM would be that much different than the mustang? ???

5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
It does override the Trackey but you can return the car to stock with the tuner at anytime and once you do it goes back to how it was with the trackey and silver key. I have switched between the two a few times.

I wish they would just be able to adjust the idle of the trackey as well and leave the rest alone. I will buy that too if it ever comes out.
That's good to know. There's the issue, many tuners are going to be able to change the idle and add some HP but they are going to have a hard time replicating the engine braking, launch control, and pit lane speed limiter not to mention other parameters we don't know about. I have to admit I like the TK lopey idle more than I thought I would but I like the sound of revving the car up to 4-5,000 RPM's and then backing off the throttle more. ;D Regardless it's the engine braking that I find useful while driving the car on the track.

Before deciding to get the Trackey I did some research on the JLP tune. JLP said they can add launch control to there tune. A user that demo his tune said it did increase engine braking but couldn't compare it to Trackey because he had modded his car before Trackey was released. He also said
the tune worked good but the lope got irritating all the time and the low speed drivabiltiy of every lope tune i have ever tried is not great, the car ends up hard to drive at low speeds below 3k.
I've heard this from GT owners that have a cam tunes as well. In the end I went with Trackey for warranty reasons, but a JLP tune could be a good alternative to Trackey.

Justin

BossJockey said:
5 DOT 0 said:
boss2511 said:
It does override the Trackey but you can return the car to stock with the tuner at anytime and once you do it goes back to how it was with the trackey and silver key. I have switched between the two a few times.

I wish they would just be able to adjust the idle of the trackey as well and leave the rest alone. I will buy that too if it ever comes out.
That's good to know. There's the issue, many tuners are going to be able to change the idle and add some HP but they are going to have a hard time replicating the engine braking, launch control, and pit lane speed limiter not to mention other parameters we don't know about. I have to admit I like the TK lopey idle more than I thought I would but I like the sound of revving the car up to 4-5,000 RPM's and then backing off the throttle more. ;D Regardless it's the engine braking that I find useful while driving the car on the track.

Before deciding to get the Trackey I did some research on the JLP tune. JLP said they can add launch control to there tune. A user that demo his tune said it did increase engine braking but couldn't compare it to Trackey because he had modded his car before Trackey was released. He also said
the tune worked good but the lope got irritating all the time and the low speed drivabiltiy of every lope tune i have ever tried is not great, the car ends up hard to drive at low speeds below 3k.
I've heard this from GT owners that have a cam tunes as well. In the end I went with Trackey for warranty reasons, but a JLP tune could be a good alternative to Trackey.
I am having the same issues as the GT guys it seems. below 2k is pretty bad. here are my issues with the tune and I have emailed JLP and have yet to get a response...which sours my mouth but here they are:
-throttle response is numb...more so then the silver key
-you cant shift it smoothly without going to 3.5-4k or it will buck around.
-if you slowly climb through the rpms it "surges" like its in and out of the throttle. below 1.5k it bucks badly.
-when I shift gears the motor just hangs at the rpm you shift from.
-also with the tune after it runs a while I get a sulfur smell from the exhaust making me worry that the cats are melting down or getting damaged.

its so bad I cant stand to drive it in the city in traffic. I put the trackey tune back on it. I can feel the trackey doesnt have the pull up top under wide open throttle the JLP tune has.

For now unless he can send me a miracle I will only be putting that tune on the car for late night cruising or for the drag strip. For normal driving its staying off as it makes the car a bear to drive "normally"

In the end in my opinion I find this a "show" tune or "drag strip" tune. And its to bad cause I love the idle. wish ford racing would give us an idle like that with the trackey. 450 dollar lesson learned. Atleast i got the tuner at a discounted price.....

Maybe Ford didn't give us that tune because they were having similar issues? ???

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
Maybe Ford didn't give us that tune because they were having similar issues? ???
I have thought that but I assume the pre carb tune was ready for release and granted it wasnt as lopey but it actually had a lope to it.

With a lopey idle caused by severe valve overlap, you are putting unburned hydrocarbons (gas) into the exhaust. That in turn, gets burned up in the CATS, causing a severe over heat issue which will eventully render the CATS useless. You probably will not see this issue via the MIL/check engine light due to the "tune" changing the O2 and CAT monitor to unsupported. So if you need CATS on your car, you might not want to run an aftemarket lopey idle tune. This is one reason why Ford could not sell the general public a Track key with a "real" lopey idle. They have to warranty the CATS for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Justin

06mach1 said:
With a lopey idle caused by severe valve overlap, you are putting unburned hydrocarbons (gas) into the exhaust. That in turn, gets burned up in the CATS, causing a severe over heat issue which will eventully render the CATS useless. You probably will not see this issue via the MIL/check engine light due to the "tune" changing the O2 and CAT monitor to unsupported. So if you need CATS on your car, you might not want to run an aftemarket lopey idle tune. This is one reason why Ford could not sell the general public a Track key with a "real" lopey idle. They have to warranty the CATS for 8 years/80,000 miles.
I thought as much. I melted cats in my 96 cobra cause of the monster cams I had in it. I just punched them out. I dont have a MIL with the stock tune in place so I hope that means they are good.

The AED idle lope tune (while not as aggressive as the JLP tune) does not suffer from the drivability issues as the rest.
It's done completely differently and utilizes all the available TiVCT tables for fuel economy, drivability, and WOT power.

And any Idle Lope tune should NOT be run with cats.

Shaun@AED said:
The AED idle lope tune (while not as aggressive as the JLP tune) does not suffer from the drivability issues as the rest.
It's done completely differently and utilizes all the available TiVCT tables for fuel economy, drivability, and WOT power.

Link to a vid with your lope tune please.

95blitz said:
Shaun@AED said:

Link to a vid with your lope tune please.
Here you go.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/aed-ghost-cam-tune/

TMO Supporting Vendors