The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

JLT Intake, No Tune Needed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
In the latest brochure for American Muscle, they advertise a JLT CAI that doesn't require a tune. Anyone have experience with them? Ideally, I'd keep TK if this CAI can still help a little bit. It seems like most people have either gone with TK or a CAI and aftermarket tune, at least that's the conclusion I came to after searching the forums.

Do you have a link to it? I have the Airaid and it uses a reduction sleeve so you can use the stock tunes. You remove the sleeve for an aftermarket tune.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
JLT is right by me in Chesapeake, va. I was just at their shop last week to buy the headrest camera mount. I can go by and ask them next week when I get back.

Now if you do get one and it requires no tune you will basically just be putting it on for looks. the amount gained is really hardly worth mentioning if you dont have a "tune required" CAI. I have seen the C&L intake on these cars didnt like how the tube just rests on the intake shroud really poor design. JLT is the same way doesnt do much to seal itself off from the rest of the engine bay. The Steeda Boss CAI which i have has a nice box that is bolted in place and completely seals itself and puts good use to the factory air snorkel to put the air right to the bottom of the filter. the box is constructed very nicely and will more then likely outlast the life of the car. The AIRAID CAI Boxes are also very well made and thought out. very similar to the steeda box but instead of metal they choose plastic and the maf housing is molded into the intake tube where are the steeda is a separate alum piece.

So if you are looking to spend that kind of money on a CAI if it were me get one that comes with a tuner and then set aside some money for an AED tune. Once you do you wont miss that trackey at all. And unless you just want a color matched intake tube I would go with either Steeda CAI or AIRAID. if you go with airaid you can always upgrade later to tune and take the sleeve out.

ufnavy06

Justin, I'd appreciate it. I know it's mainly 'just for looks' but I know my K&N on my '06 GT did add about 10 RWHP, no tune, as my first dyno with it was just the CAI and the flowmaster mufflers. I was running 20+ more than stock '05-'07 GTs on the same dyno, on the same day, so I know it added something. Just not 100% what that something was. If it adds 10 hp, which it advertises 16 RWHP, I'd be happy.

Rick, here's the link: http://search.americanmuscle.com/search?query=62055&vwcatalog=mustangtuning Funny to me, the website says it needs a tune, but the print brochure explicitly states 'no computer re-tune required.'. I'm not a huge fan of that type of advertising.

Justin

ufnavy06 said:
Justin, I'd appreciate it. I know it's mainly 'just for looks' but I know my K&N on my '06 GT did add about 10 RWHP, no tune, as my first dyno with it was just the CAI and the flowmaster mufflers. I was running 20+ more than stock '05-'07 GTs on the same dyno, on the same day, so I know it added something. Just not 100% what that something was. If it adds 10 hp, which it advertises 16 RWHP, I'd be happy.

Rick, here's the link: http://search.americanmuscle.com/search?query=62055&vwcatalog=mustangtuning Funny to me, the website says it needs a tune, but the print brochure explicitly states 'no computer re-tune required.'. I'm not a huge fan of that type of advertising.
Yeah the typical gain from a no tune required is about 5-8 rwhp. If you want you can give them a call on monday their number is on the website. They will be the same people I would be talking to on wed when I get back. I am 99.99% sure they dont have a CAI that doesnt require a tune for the new GT's but I havent had a new mustang mag in a few months so maybe that is something brand new to the market.

Any reason why you dont want to go with the AIRAID? It gives you no tune required for certain and you can remove the sleeve later if you want to tune it for more power. Also it has a much more finished box. and its not just sitting there only being held in place by the one 10mm bolt and gravity.

ufnavy06

No reason in particular other than I got the brochure and that was the only one advertised for for the Boss. I know that doesn't mean there aren't others out there, just the interest piqued as I was flipping through the mag. It seems after looking at the website, it's more designed for the Boss manifold for those who've added that to their GT and thus can also work for the Boss.

Justin

ufnavy06 said:
No reason in particular other than I got the brochure and that was the only one advertised for for the Boss. I know that doesn't mean there aren't others out there, just the interest piqued as I was flipping through the mag. It seems after looking at the website, it's more designed for the Boss manifold for those who've added that to their GT and thus can also work for the Boss.
I have seen the "boss" intake from them. you can ask forceofwill doesnt fit all that great they just give you a longer coupler and it makes for an odd angle to the throttle body. FWIW the only CAI that I have seen that was made for the boss intake that fits they way its supposed to is the Steeda Boss CAI. Havent heard or seen the AIRAID in person to say if it does or not.

Justin

I guess not. not according to their site.
The part number that is non CF 450-264 and 450-264 is listed as FORD MUSTANG 2011-2014 V8 5.0L so I dont know what the difference would be

TMO Supporting Vendors