The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

JLT Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm looking to get an oil separator. I notice that Late Model Restoration offers 2 - one for the driver's side and one for the passenger's side. Do you really need both if you want to install this part to keep oil out of your intake, or is one on either side enough?

Thx for your opinions :)

KG

DieselRocket said:
I'm looking to get an oil separator. I notice that Late Model Restoration offers 2 - one for the driver's side and one for the passenger's side. Do you really need both if you want to install this part to keep oil out of your intake, or is one on either side enough?

Thx for your opinions :)

KG
Most members are starting with the passenger side as that's where most of the oil comes from. Another option is the Steeda seperator.

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-oil-separator.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-632153/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRA-280210/Application/?prefilter=1

Thanks 5 DOT 0 - I'll look into passenger side first. (And thanks for the links!) What would be the use case for having one on each side? Just, extra protection?

:)

MLM

Mike
As I understand it, the passenger side has the PCV valve and is the "exhaust" side or "vacuum" side where oil could get drawn by suction back into the intake along with the blow-by gases. The driver side is passive (not vacuum) and thus it seems hardly any oil will get pulled backwards into the intake, except perhaps during extreme use.

Maui
The moroso oil separator is also a pretty nice unit as well..Just got all the parts for the install and will be putting it on soon.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I bought and installed the JLT unit on the passenger side first. Made very well and the hoses are pre-bent so that it fits as if it was stock. Overall I think they are priced very well considering the quality.

In running 2 days at VIR it caught a little over 1/4" of oil so it does appear to be working well, so well in fact that I decided to buy the one for the drivers side also. Being this late in the season I won't know how much that side will actually trap oil but my assumption is what JLT and you guys have been saying - not as much - but those little aluminium cans looks so cute ! ;D

DieselRocket said:
Thanks 5 DOT 0 - I'll look into passenger side first. (And thanks for the links!) What would be the use case for having one on each side? Just, extra protection?

:)

Do you prefer the Steeda unit?
thanks
Dave

fiddlefadel said:
Do you prefer the Steeda unit?
thanks
Dave
I ordered the Steeda unit but it's virtually identical to the JLT. My reasoning was I'm going to install different hoses so the cost reduction helps cover that cost. Additionally I ordered Steeda oil and radiator cap covers and they have the same design. I'll have it installed in the next couple of weeks and will post photos when I'm finished. All of the oil seperator's function the same so it's more of an aesthetic/installation/cost decision.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I can't see how it wouldn't do it's job even if your not on a track. If you ever open her up WOT on a highway you'll catch some oil in at least the passenger side seperator I'm sure if that's your concern.

drano38

Wayne
On a six hour drive to the MPH track for the Mustang Roundup, I had about 1/4" of oil in mine, so yes, they collect oil even on normal road driving.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I know, but it looks so nice with a balanced pair ;D I havn't driven the LS much since I installed the drivers side unit. My passeneger side unit caught 1/4" in 1 track day plus some street driving.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Yes. Given the usage it should be fine but not as pretty as brass. Could be swapped out easily.

TMO Supporting Vendors