The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Joining the 300 club!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
The 300-section tire club, that is. I have APEX 19x11" ET52 EC-7 wheels waiting for 305/30/19 RE-71R's waiting to be mounted and I'm stoked! Big thanks to @APEXRaceParts for their help picking the wheels and quick shipping. Finally a decent size wheel and tire to go on the car. I have been running 285/35/18 PSS on grossly undersized 18x9.5" wheels for far too long due to budget. The upgrade is free in my TA class so I have high hopes. Best lap time was 1:20.4, what do you figure it'll come down to? I have an idea of how much I can cut out of that based on other experience. Curious what others think. ;)

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Can confirm this is a good club to be a part of :)

- Cory

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Yup, you're gonna like it.

That's the consensus!

Can confirm this is a good club to be a part of :)

- Cory

Thanks Cory :), appreciate the help!

Not too familiar with this club yet....But if it made it here, it can't be that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be familiarizing myself in under a month!! Will report back :cool:

Get those Apex rims and 300 racing donuts on and the " Ole Girl," will be strutting like a " Super Model!"

You will find the limits of adhesion are dramatically changed ----likely 1-2 seconds per lap , minimum?

Hahaha that'll be a sight to see!

I'm counting on 2 seconds, hoping for 2.5+. If I can find 2.5 seconds or more, I'll be in the 1:17.x range which is enough to basically guarantee a class win based on what's been run the last few years.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Quick update: First Time Attack event of the season was mostly a rainy day. Ran 1:23's and 1:24's... But it dried up later in the day. First dry session, I cut 3.3 seconds off previous best, down to a 1:17.1, all while still cool and overcast (good for power, bad for grip. Temps were around 59 deg F and pavement was cool). Only had 2 dry sessions, one had a best of 1:17.1 and another was a 1:17.5.

Track resources aren't excellent, but I seem to have set a new track record in my class. According to all I could find, fastest in my class prior to this was a 1:17.8. There's still some time left in it too... aiming for 1:16's by end of the season on a warmer day, maybe a 1:15.9x if conditions cooperate.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great runs Domestic, you not only made your goal to improve your time with the tire/rim and other changes , you blew right by it. Fantastic you set a new track record in your Mustang for the class you run ---- pumped for you as huge jump in time and I bet your competitors are quaking in their racing shoes, ha?!

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
So, you do like it?

Haha yes, absolutely!

305's make a huge difference over 285's. We are running Michelin slicks in a 305's now. It's like cheating.

I can only imagine 305's with even more grip. And this is all on stock suspension and stock brakes. Imagine what a proper set of coil overs will do on those tires!

Great runs Domestic, you not only made your goal to improve your time with the tire/rim and other changes , you blew right by it. Fantastic you set a new track record in your Mustang for the class you run ---- pumped for you as huge jump in time and I bet your competitors are quaking in their racing shoes, ha?!

Thanks Bill!! And thank you for your help off the site with tires and wheel selections. I'm very pleased with the results (and will be even more so when I see that 1:16.x!)
Haha it was a bit of a hollow victory, unfortunately, because the rain scared off a lot of competitors. There were only 11 competitors (I had the 3rd fastest raw time of the day, and the other cars were both built with aero and full suspension). But still got the points so that doesn't hurt!

I got wheels/tires/camber plates for last winter's mods and, like you, was just ecstatic about the improvement. I have MCS dampers and Vorshlag's GTS spring package going in next week. I will let you know if you will like it or not.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
I got wheels/tires/camber plates for last winter's mods and, like you, was just ecstatic about the improvement. I have MCS dampers and Vorshlag's GTS spring package going in next week. I will let you know if you will like it or not.

Great, will be looking forward to hearing back.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Glad to help and since you already exceeded your early expectations, I am not betting against you on getting a 1:16 time??!! Gonna to have to rename you the Master of the Maritime Mustang, ha.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Master of the Maritime Mustangs... I quite like the sound of that Bill!! Might have to add it to my signature haha.

TMO Supporting Vendors