The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Jumpy / Jerky / Sensitive Throttle - At low rpm and city driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have put about 1,000 miles on my 2013 Boss. I am having difficulty driving comfortably in city conditions - the accelerator seems overly sensitive and very tough to have a smooth ride at low rmp. Even the slightest force on the peddle, being senstive like on an eggshell, jerks the car, forcing me to take foot off accelerator, and so on. Seems impossible to be gentle enough on the accelerator to avoid the jump / jerk when in a traffic crawl. Anybody have similiar experience / problem? Any ideas for fix? FYI, I have had the Track Key software installed, but the only driving I have done with the Track Key is highway use, so I don't yet know if the problem is also present using the Track Key.

I would check to see if you have any codes first and then take it in to the dealer to have it checked. It is under warranty so minds as well use it. For me anyway, this is the first I have heard any Boss doing this.

Thanks. At first I thought it just might be the nature of the beast, with 373 gears and high torque, but then I could not believe Ford would view this as acceptable for a modern car, even a high performance car such as the Boss, given the emphasis these days on driveability.

While I have your attention, do you know how long, on average, it takes after purchase before the Boss owner's kit arrives in the mail?

No sorry. I waited a long time since I had one of the first built and they did not send any out for months. I think I heard some people that bought a late 2012 got them in a month or two.

DBRSFO said:
While I have your attention, do you know how long, on average, it takes after purchase before the Boss owner's kit arrives in the mail?

There was another thread on this, and it was mentioned that 2013 kits might start shipping in July.

Mine surges at low rpm, mostly with TK but it does it sometimes with the regular key. Try pushing the top of the pedal with your foot, I can avoid it if I am careful and it seems to mostly do it when cold. The top of the pedal trick worked with my old turbo car and seems to help a lot with the Boss, it allows finer control. If it is not normal than that is one more thing I will need to have them check out on mine.

Also check the oil often, some of them consume a lot in the break in. Mine has eaten 5 or 6 quarts already at 3k miles, some other people have had even more.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
mine hates to be below 1200 it will "buck and Jerk" if I dont keep the throttle absolutely still. my solution is just keep it above 1500. I can get it to put along at idle by not giving it and throttle input. The bucking seems to be equal for me with both keys. but I cant say for sure since its been about 4000 miles since I drove with the silver key.

Justin

CaliMR said:
Use the silver key every once in a while just to remind you have great the red key is.
lol I tried...hated it pulled over after 2 miles and switched back to red. kept going oh shiznit brakes as I was used to the engine decel and not the coast for 20 miles of the silver key lol. and the throttle felt dead/numb

I slipped the silver key in when my gf used the car for the hyperdrive thing at the track. I figured a slow throttle was better than a crisp one for a first timer.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Justin said:
CaliMR said:
Use the silver key every once in a while just to remind you have great the red key is.
lol I tried...hated it pulled over after 2 miles and switched back to red. kept going oh shiznit brakes as I was used to the engine decel and not the coast for 20 miles of the silver key lol. and the throttle felt dead/numb

I found I was depending on the engine brake on the red Kay also.

I used the silver key and when I merged onto the interstate I was expecting the car to slow. Oh well.... A slight panic feeling as I went to the brakes. ???

Back to the red key!!!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Silver Key, Red Key, it makes no difference, mine does it when cold. Seems a bit better once warmed up, but really only noticeable in first.

Runs great at the track, so what me worry!?

I noticed it when I first got the car and I adapted however it is nowhere near as bad as my E46 m3 was, in first gear you just have to give it a little more gas while letting the clutch out.

I just bought my Boss Mustang from Town East Ford in Mesquite right, and me and the salesman go over to the service department to

get my red track key activated and this "service manager" say's to me - I have to complete a course on laguna seca or any number of courses within in a 20 state area.

Ain't that a bucket of shiznit?

I can't wait til vacation when I shove that up his ass along with my 5th gear grinding issue , I paid 45 grand and I expect about

45 grand amount of effort

Justin

Tommy said:
I just bought my Boss Mustang from Town East Ford in Mesquite right, and me and the salesman go over to the service department to

get my red track key activated and this "service manager" say's to me - I have to complete a course on laguna seca or any number of courses within in a 20 state area.

I can't wait til vacation when I shove that up his ass along with my 5th gear grinding issue , I paid 45 grand and I expect about

that is a bucket of shiznit. Dont walk run away from the stealership!!!!

Thankfully I do not drive in stop and go traffic very often, but I have noticed 1st gear jerking in a few parking lot situations. It happens with both keys for me. I think the 2nd gear suggestion is a good one, and if I get into a stop and go situation I think I'll try that.

Tommy said:

Your dealer must know my dealer...

Drove it with regular key yesterday in traffic, it surges way more than red key and in a wider rpm range. But I am still having some clutch issues so it may be part of why it was so bad.

TMO Supporting Vendors