The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just a friendly reminder why changing your process before track days is a bad idea (PSA)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
I have a super strict oil change and track day prep process (latter includes a detailed nut and bolt check right before I roll the car into the trailer). I skipped the nut and bolt check this time because I was slammed for time and felt confident my post-track day process had me covered (which also includes a nut and bolt check). Welp, that doesn't help when you're an idiot and forget to torque the bolt down.

I have a couple safeties in the car (oil pressure lights + accusump) that would've hopefully come on, but DAMN. I'll give myself the idiot award for the month of May. Add it to the list of reasons not to change your routine habits/processes!

IMG_1760.JPEG

sfo
saftey wire....don't be that guy who oils the track! I safety wire all drain plugs and my oil filter.

TX
Close call!! I’ve started using this on all of my under car fasteners - really helps with the pre and post inspections.

View attachment 65445
Yep. I have a few tubes of something similar in pink. Virtually everything is marked with the stuff. Just forgot this time. Oye
Thin?
saftey wire....don't be that guy who oils the track! I safety wire all drain plugs and my oil filter.
Wasn't sure how to safety wire this setup, but buddy of mine just gave a good idea about drilling a small whole through the oil pan's support fin. Will have to do that this weekend.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Atlanta, GA
Good reminder! I do the same with a strict pre/post track day inspection and servicing. I spent 10 years as a commercial pilot. Repetition, following a checklist, muscle memory, discipline, etc. dramatically increase safety and reduce risk. Glad the bolt held on for you! Thanks again for the reminder, it can happen to any of us.

TMO Supporting Vendors