The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just a general statement about Ford products and the Boss family of engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We've been running Ford products for 3 years now, that includes IMSA, PWC and a multitude of SCCA races, we have run them out of oil when debris cut an oil line at Daytona in the bus stop, we've run them at 280 degrees at Mosport when we had a control error, we've generally beat the living crap out of them and the only failure we've experienced was a cam phaser..that's been it. In fact the "junkyard dog" that Kurt won T2 in at Daytona had 40 thousand miles on the stock engine and trans. Think about that, a 40 thousand mile engine, from a wrecked car, assembled at the factory about 4 years ago beat BMWs, Corvettes and whatever else was out there to win T2 at the SCCA runoffs.
That's freakin' remarkable that in an American muscle car, a survivor from the 60s, in this day and age, you can take a stock engine and whip up on some very expensive import stuff.
All the engines have been torn down, they were all legit, we run them for a 50 hour life cycle before a scheduled rebuild.
Try that with your import car....
In an age where it's not popular to promote American exceptionalism, where anything American is put down, it makes me proud to run Ford products..an Exceptional..American...product.

I amended this because it was not specifically at TC error, that car did not have TC

Rob, good timing. TVR is going to use the coyote 5.0 in their new car starting in 2017. Below is the article and video of engine testing. They are also going to LeMans so another Ford powered car could be running there soon. 8) There's no good shot of the intake but I wonder if they developed their own or if they're using the voodoo or CJ intake?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/tvr-fires-v8-confirms-le-mans-2017-plans-exclusive-videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qZOQL-g0s

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
BlackSheep1:

Thank you for an exceptional post. Here is the way I sometimes think about this: Even on our worst day here in the Untied States, it far better than the best day in any other country.

American Exceptionalism Rocks!

Dave
302 HP

FWIW, Ford (and at the time Ford aerospace) took one of the 427 Fords and ran it on the dyno way back around 1966 simulating the Lemans race, using computer technology to program the run.

blacksheep-1 said:
FWIW, Ford (and at the time Ford aerospace) took one of the 427 Fords and ran it on the dyno way back around 1966 simulating the Lemans race, using computer technology to program the run.

If I remember right Ford ran those 427's on the dyno that simulated laps at Lemans for 48 hours straight to make sure they would run for 24.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have run my 2011 Coyote engine for a total of 30787 miles. 12125 of those have been on road courses at speed. I ran a 7400 rpm redline for 3.5 years with Boss intake, headers and tune, for the past 1.5 year we have run the CJ manifold and a 7700 rpm redline. The only internal modifications have been the CJ pulse ring, PRS harness and all new sensors and this May I changed the valve springs to Boss versions. Pretty stout for a mass produced V8.

Agreed. I've owned dozens of Fords (13 currently) and have had zero engine issues. My GT500 was putting out a ridiculous 50% increase in hp and tq over the way it was delivered and I had it 7 years with countless drag races and several thousand road course miles before I traded it with 41k. I traded the Boss with over 22k miles half of which were on the track and it still screams. Many of my friends with C6 Vettes have popped the motors and I know it can happen on our cars as well, but certainly seems much rarer. Now let's hope that the Voodoo is just as stout!!

cloud9 said:
Many of my friends with C6 Vettes have popped the motors and I know it can happen on our cars as well, but certainly seems much rarer. Now let's hope that the Voodoo is just as stout!!
I'll comment on how well the warranty service is since I'm one of the unlucky ones who popped their motor. My motor was bone stock and I left it that way on purpose which paid off for me. I don't run mine as hard as some of you and try and keep the RPM's at or below 7,000. When my motor blew I dropped it off at the dealer on Tuesday and the new long block and intake was on it's way by Friday. NO QUESTIONS ASKED at all and I told them it blew on track. With a great warranty like that I'll be back for more. FWIW Jim Owens said at Track Tour that the GT350 drive train would be covered under warranty while on track as long as it's not running in a competition event. Again my GT350 drive train will remain bone stock.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have to agree that the Boss 302 Hi Po U Code engine is a very stout engine. With 6 bolt mains and all forged internals, we have solid bones for a high rev Hi Po engine.

Additionally, we have to remember that Ford was serious about racing this engine and released the first 6 Production Boss 302 engines to Ford Racing, specifically to go racing. Three of these had Cobra engine program con rods and the other 3 used the new Boss rods with different end cap fasteners.

This was a year, (or more), before the first production Boss 302 rolled off the line at Flat Rock. The race performance data was then used to make preproduction changes in our Boss 302 engines to improve its performance and durability. IMO, if it were not for this very special engine, the Boss 302 would be, "just another Mustang".

This engine will go down as one of the finest production hi rev, Hi Po V8's ever produced by Ford, and Detroit for that matter. There are times I still have to remind myself that, she's a small block!

Now, WTS, I have high hopes for the new 5.2l FPC, and in time I believe Ford will validate this engine as well.

Last is a note to Ford Motor Company, "Let's get this party started, and Roll those GT350's!"

Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors