The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just Bought GT350...Oil question..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bought a 2016GT350, only 7900 miles on it, great shape.
Drove it from dealer in Tampa, back home to Boca, about 350 miles.

Got home late last night, today checked the oil. Was about half a quart down.

Dealer had been told to top off oil. So maybe they didn't, but if they DID....this sounds like a problem, correct? I realize the 2016 had a recall on it but when I searched our VIN it said "No unsatisfied Recalls" ....or some words to that affect.

Any opinions on this?

Thx
Tom

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I would fill the engine to the full mark and see what happens. May be too early to worry about a non-problem. To many "Topped off" means in the full range on the dip stick. Dealer tech, or who ever, may have judged this as topped off.

BTW. Welcome to the site. Great choice in cars. I have a 350 and a Boss. Neither have used oil beyond the break in period. And I do "Break them in".

In the V6L
Bought a 2016GT350, only 7900 miles on it, great shape.
Drove it from dealer in Tampa, back home to Boca, about 350 miles.

Got home late last night, today checked the oil. Was about half a quart down.

Dealer had been told to top off oil. So maybe they didn't, but if they DID....this sounds like a problem, correct? I realize the 2016 had a recall on it but when I searched our VIN it said "No unsatisfied Recalls" ....or some words to that affect.

Any opinions on this?

Thx
Tom
As TMSBOSS said, top it off and see how it goes. The owner's supplement for the car says not to add oil if the oil is between the two holes in the dipstick, and for this engine, that's actually correct. So, if your dealer's tech checked the oil and it was anywhere above the lower hole, the car was good to go. So, don't worry about it, just drive it and check it regularly to see how it changes, if it changes.

Thanks guys...we are Mustang fans and had a 17GT but this is the first time we've ever been a Shelby ;) So quite green and trying to be careful!
The first time I drove it I thought...."This handles like the Corvette I test drove some months back" ...it felt like a giant hand from above the car was pressing it down on the road.
So different feeling than the GT, just an amazing car!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Read the long term test of a 350 in car and driver...no first hand experience but interesting article

Not to throw stones at C&D.....But.

I am curious who at a magazine took the time to properly break in their car? Many drove the car, none owner the car, all likely drove it like they stole it. Just sayin.

Did my break in period end with a track event, yep. I drove the car as recommended before the event.

Back to the OPs point. Is his car burning an excessive amount of oil? Could be, too early to tell.

Check your oil level at 500 mile intervals. That’s what Ford will ask you to do if there’s an issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors