The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just broke my bleeder screw :-[ Any tips on extracting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Re: Re: What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

Chriss_302 said:
Just broke my bleeder screw :-[ Any tips on extracting?

F-that. Replace the caliper. Left or right? The rights are cheaper and no core charge. I'd rather have a new casting considering under $300 for the right and under $400 for a left. Not the place I'd want to 'save' a few bucks.

Just my opinion, though.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

I can have that bleeder screw out in under 5 minutes. In my past life I was a licensed brake and front end mechanic. This is a cake job. Just tap in the spline and unscrew the bleeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Chriss_302 said:
Right caliper :mad:
caliper_zpsjtwnm40n.jpg
Another way is with a left handed drill bit. Just center the drill in the hole and drill backwards. It will come right out. Spline drive is the first option in my book but both ways work well if done properly.

Fabman said:
Another way is with a left handed drill bit. Just center the drill in the hole and drill backwards. It will come right out. Spline drive is the first option in my book but both ways work well if done properly.

Spline is probably what I'm going to use first. Wish me luck.

Grant 302

Chriss_302 said:
Spline is probably what I'm going to use first. Wish me luck.

Good luck. Do your best to keep anything from going down the bore and into the caliper.

So thinking out of the box with what I might have in my garage, take a very small dremel grinding ball bit and grind a slot across the top of the broken bleeder screw so that you can get a nice tight fit with a descent flat bladed screw driver. Might even put a tooth pick in the center hole while you are grinding to keep out the filings and then clean with some brake cleaner.
Any which way you decide take your time and good luck.

Bay Area

Fabman said:

I agree with all of your tactics. Did you happen to work on aircraft in a past life? Everything you said is what I would have. Although, my snap-on set is cheaper and different.

the break looks clean enough that i dont think you'll have any trouble using the extractor or the dremel and screw driver.

Fabman, thanks for linking that extractor set... I need to buy that now, because sooner or later I'm going to break something.
Here's one that's $1 cheaper... gotta love ebay and chinese knock offs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232056868562?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Another consideration is to evaluate why the screw broke. If you over torqued a bolt that did not bottom out, I would agree with the left handed drill bit method. In this case, the bleeder screw bottomed out and is torque down against the bottom/seat. IMHO the drill bit wouldn't create enough torque to break the screw loose. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
byronj said:
I agree with all of your tactics. Did you happen to work on aircraft in a past life? Everything you said is what I would have. Although, my snap-on set is cheaper and different.
Funny you should say that. When you come to my shop I will show you the tail section off the spotter plane from the battle of Normandy. Yes, I have done some aircraft work :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
525095_10151507300443535_674317276_n.jpg

556695_10151504209303535_1651715767_n.jpg

Grant 302

the5 said:
Anyone have the link to the new bleeder screws?

Not sure if there is a way to get the OEM screws separately. Brembo fronts should be M10 x 1.0 33mm length.

Or consider these if you bleed brakes a lot:
Prevent stripped calipers - bleeder inserts

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9836
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9838

Grant 302

^LOL. Never a bad time to think about best/safe practices in this hobby. I have been curious about how the bleeder broke in the first place. Figured that wasn't the first question I needed to ask.

I always try not to over tighten bleeder screws, but i feel like I always end up over tightening them..
There was a mustang at the track that hit a wall because the bleeder screw shot out of the caliper on the main straight... another thing over tightening could cause, weakening the aluminum threads.

I've sheared off 3 of the 1/4 bleeders into the inserts, so I stopped using them. I think I over tightened those too! :eek:

TMO Supporting Vendors