The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just Confirmed GT350 Flat-Plane Crank From Multimatic Motorsports; I think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey guys as some of you may already know Multimatic Motorsports was directly involved with Ford in the development of the 2012 Boss 302R. As they are now also currently involved in the development of the 2015 GT350R. They participate in the Continental Tire Challenge Series and were racing at Road America last weekend. While attending I walked into their paddock and came upon three mechanics who I began to question about the GT350. " so I understand you guys are helping to develop the new GT350 and a prototype will be running at the next event in Austin TX" Big smiles from all three. "so what can you tell me about it"? "well we really can't say much about that but YES we are involved in the program". At that point two of the mechanics got up and walked away leaving me one on one with the other. "So is there anything you can tell me"?? again a big smile but not much else. So finally after about 10 minutes of general conversation I try one more time. "so there's a rumor going around the forums that the car will have a flat-plane crank V8. I've also seen spy vids. and it sure seems to have a high revving engine" He finally throws me a bone and says "so you've seen vids of the cars being tested and did you notice a baffle in the exhaust outlets" "why yes I did"! he goes on to say "well there's a reason for that and it has something to do with changing the way the car sounds and that's all I can say". To me that's about as close to an admission that a flat plane crank is being used and that Ford is trying to hide that distinctive sound!!! Certainly not definitive but damn close IMO!!!!!
Modify message

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
geneva said:
hey guys as some of you may already know Multimatic Motorsports was directly involved with Ford in the development of the 2012 Boss 302R. As they are now also currently involved in the development of the 2015 GT350R. They participate in the Continental Tire Challenge Series and were racing at Road America last weekend. While attending I walked into their paddock and came upon three mechanics who I began to question about the GT350. " so I understand you guys are helping to develop the new GT350 and a prototype will be running at the next event in Austin TX" Big smiles from all three. "so what can you tell me about it"? "well we really can't say much about that but YES we are involved in the program". At that point two of the mechanics got up and walked away leaving me one on one with the other. "So is there anything you can tell me"?? again a big smile but not much else. So finally after about 10 minutes of general conversation I try one more time. "so there's a rumor going around the forums that the car will have a flat-plane crank V8. I've also seen spy vids. and it sure seems to have a high revving engine" He finally throws me a bone and says "so you've seen vids of the cars being tested and did you notice a baffle in the exhaust outlets" "why yes I did"! he goes on to say "well there's a reason for that and it has something to do with changing the way the car sounds and that's all I can say". To me that's about as close to an admission that a flat plane crank is being used and that Ford is trying to hide that distinctive sound!!! Certainly not definitive but damn close IMO!!!!!
Modify message
I hope that doesn't get somebody fired!

I've similarly confirmed that the FPC is a reality but was told that won't be the biggest surprise with the GT350. My speculation is a 5.0 TT FPC motor pushing 550-600 HP. Clearly Ford will once again one up the bowtie crowd and at a much lower price point. Back in May I attended the IMSA race at Laguna Seca and it was clear the current teams were anticipating the new chassis for 2015. So an early unveiling from Multimatic in September does not surprise me. I spoke with a Multimatic engineer and he made it sound like DSSV technology will at least be on the GT350 race car and hopefully that technology will trickle down to the street version.

BTW I've already purchased my plane ticket to attend the L.A. Auto Show the week before Thanksgiving where I expect the new GT350 street car to be unveiled. Stay tuned.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel