The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just curious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious as to why so many of you are having problems with your Bosses.Mine has run flawless since day one.I have the Track key installed,launch control works fine,no complaints on the transmission or rear end.Truely a joy to drive and own.It turns heads every where I go.

Good question. I've had almost no issues driving my Boss on the street. Only issue is a little nibbling from 1st to 2nd when my tranny is cold. Other than that it's awesome on the street. Where the problems begin is when you hit the track whether it be a road course or drag strip. The heat and high revs cause issues with the transmission and clutch, I think most of the transmission issues are clutch related, and then the car throws codes and goes into limp mode. I've had my car go into limp mode at almost 100 mph with a car right on my tail on a track. Not a safe situation to be in. Anyway Ford knows of these issues and are addressing some of them with a new base tune for 2012/2013 Boss 302's. My soource states the 2013 should be available any day and the tune for the 2012's should be available a few weeks after that. There are no fixes for the clutch/tranny issues that I know of.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
+1 - When you 'beat' on them at peaks of 155 MPH for 30 minutes at a time, 'stuff' happens. This is not a Boss specific issue. Ask any M3 or 'Vette owner. The only cars that I've seen that handle the beating well are the Porsche's. But when they do break - it's usually a 4 figure investment ;D

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
Good question. I've had almost no issues driving my Boss on the street. Only issue is a little nibbling from 1st to 2nd when my tranny is cold. Other than that it's awesome on the street. Where the problems begin is when you hit the track whether it be a road course or drag strip. The heat and high revs cause issues with the transmission and clutch, I think most of the transmission issues are clutch related, and then the car throws codes and goes into limp mode. I've had my car go into limp mode at almost 100 mph with a car right on my tail on a track. Not a safe situation to be in. Anyway Ford knows of these issues and are addressing some of them with a new base tune for 2012/2013 Boss 302's. My soource states the 2013 should be available any day and the tune for the 2012's should be available a few weeks after that. There are no fixes for the clutch/tranny issues that I know of.

There is a fix for the clutch/trans issues. Its called the S197 Magnum XL conversion kit.

darreng505 said:
There is a fix for the clutch/trans issues. Its called the S197 Magnum XL conversion kit.

I used the Magnum XL conversion kit with my wife last night and it worked like a charm :)

But seriously, I have to agree with what has been said. When you push a car hard at the track, always going to run into some issues. 4 road course track events on the Boss and no limp mode issues but I did have my trans re-built because it would grind between 5th and 6th gear. go figure...

Sesshomurai

NFSBOSS said:
I think we just need a good clutch. The tranny is mostly fine.

Yeah. Although I don't like the gearing on this tran. 1st gear is slower than riding a bike. lol

For my road racing purposes I really need a 1:1 4th gear since that will be where I'm laying down most of the HP on long straights.

TMO Supporting Vendors