The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just heard from Sen Rubio (R) FL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good news....

Dear Mr. Edwards,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts regarding the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2017 (S. 203). Understanding your views helps me better represent Florida in the United States Senate, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Under a now withdrawn proposed rule, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was attempting to regulate racecars as motor vehicles under the Clean Air Act. The proposed rule would have regulated the alteration of streetcars into racecars and prevented the sale of aftermarket emissions-related parts. This regulatory change ran counter to historical Congressional intent which consistently excluded “vehicles solely used for competition” from regulation under the Clean Air Act.

In response to the EPA’s proposed rule, on January 24, 2017, Senator Burr (R-NC) introduced S. 203. If enacted, the legislation would reiterate that the EPA cannot regulate vehicles used solely for competition (racecars); clarify that modifying a street vehicle into a racecar has always been legal; and state that modifications of these vehicles are not considered exhaust tampering. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. The same legislation was introduced in the House of Representatives by Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC), and has been referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

Even though the EPA withdrew this proposed rule, clarifications under S. 203 would prohibit the agency from proposing the same rule in the future, or regulating industry activities.

As a Floridian, I understand the importance of the automotive industry and racing as a great American pastime. The EPA’s attempt to regulate racecars as motor vehicles would place an unnecessary burden on racing hobbyists across this nation. For this reason, I am a proud cosponsor of the legislation. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the bill advances through the legislative process.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve you as your United States Senator. I will keep your thoughts in mind as I consider these issues and continue working to ensure America remains a safe and prosperous nation.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator
Each week I provide a weekly update on issues in Washington and ways in which my office can assist the people of Florida. Sign up here for updates on my legislative efforts, schedule of events throughout Florida, constituent services and much more.

Re: Just heard from Sen Ribio (R) FL

Great news.

Rubio for President in 2020!

TMO Supporting Vendors