The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just ordered Race Red 2013 Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Now that I have a confirmed order for a Q3 Boss, I thought it was time to join this forum. Saw an ad on Cars.com that a small dealership north of me had 2 track pack Mustang GTs. On a whim I decided to take a drive up with my HD vid cam this past Sunday and check them out. Very small rural Ford dealer, so I was rather surprised that they had 2 GT's, and that both had the track pack option. The race red had Recaros, so I wanted to see the leather variety as I had sat in a CO Boss last year.

So I talk to the only sales guy there, and I was the only other person in the showroom at the time. I explained I was an avid Mustang / Ford guy, and came up to see the 2 they had in stock. However, what I really wanted to know was if they had any Boss 302 allocations. The magic answer was yes, a Q3 build. I immediately offered him MSRP price on the spot, and without blinking, he said that he would check with his business partner the next day and call me back. Just then some other folks who were buying a Focus came in and I proceeded to go take a few videos of the 2 cars outside as well as about a hundred pictures.

The sales guy told me that he wouldn't be calling me until at least 11 the next day, as that was when he expected his partner in. Around 1pm I shot him an email asking for them to please call me back to let me know if we had a deal. About 10 minutes later my cell phone rings with an out of town NH number... He got right to the point after saying he just talked it over and also had read my email. Told me straight up the car was mine for MSRP plus a $279 doc fee... Pregnant pause... um, when can I come up and put down my deposit..? 3 hours later I had a signed order form and printed out VOC showing my Race Red with Recaros and Torsen! The 'negotiation' process took all of 30 seconds over both days!

Last year I talked to almost a dozen dealers in MA and NH, all of which wanted at least a 5K ADM. So in the end, it all worked out as best as I could have hoped. I wouldn't have been able to swing the purchase if it was a Q1/2 as the wife only recently changed jobs and is back now at full time hours with a hefty raise after over a year of part time hours at the old employer.

I still can't believe I have an order form with my name on it... Wonder if my VIN window sticker will also have my name on it, I think I have seen customer names on stickers in the past? Anyways, had to sign up here and say hello to everyone. I look forward to the coming year as much as any I can remember! Let the mod-planning begin! ;D

Congratulations and welcome to BMO. Check in with this thread for updates on your build.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/2013-boss-302-build-schedule/

ace72ace

Thanks! When I was 18 I was rockin' the smog motor '78 LTD II, I thought that car was hawt... Had visions of dropping in a built 400M that quickly faded. I got the Mustang bug once my wife got her '11 GT 6spd. Sold my new 2010 G37S as I *hated* the on/off clutch in 1st & 2nd, and after a year+ driving the grandpa mobile (daily & winter driver) Grand Marquis, I will finally step up into the big leagues!

1st up for mods, MGW & Alum Driveshaft. Trying to figure out if I will want the complete Kooks LT headers & exhaust as it would make sense to swap the DS if I'm doing the exhaust. Decisions, decisions... ;D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
Thanks! When I was 18 I was rockin' the smog motor '78 LTD II, I thought that car was hawt... Had visions of dropping in a built 400M that quickly faded. I got the Mustang bug once my wife got her '11 GT 6spd. Sold my new 2010 G37S as I *hated* the on/off clutch in 1st & 2nd, and after a year+ driving the grandpa mobile (daily & winter driver) Grand Marquis, I will finally step up into the big leagues!

1st up for mods, MGW & Alum Driveshaft. Trying to figure out if I will want the complete Kooks LT headers & exhaust as it would make sense to swap the DS if I'm doing the exhaust. Decisions, decisions... ;D
congrats on the decision. if you order your MGW shifter now you might have it when the car gets there lol but really it takes a month for it to get made. im still waiting on mine to ship. what driveshaft are you going to go with? I am looking towards a DSS alum driveshaft no flange to change out the rear direct bolt in and its 3.5" and good to 1000hp.

drano38

Wayne
Ace,

Glad the deal went smooth.
Mine was similar--but I shopped for cars that were already on the lot. Once I decided on Race Red, it was 3 phone calls--first one was red/white, second was $5,000 ADM, third call was on hold for 1 minute while salesman asked manager, done. All 3 phone calls took 10 minutes.
You'll enjoy the Boss.
The wait will make it feel even better once it arrives.

ace72ace

boss2511 said:
ace72ace said:

congrats on the decision. if you order your MGW shifter now you might have it when the car gets there lol but really it takes a month for it to get made. im still waiting on mine to ship. what driveshaft are you going to go with? I am looking towards a DSS alum driveshaft no flange to change out the rear direct bolt in and its 3.5" and good to 1000hp.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Alum_Driveshaft.shtml

Justin

ace72ace said:
boss2511 said:
ace72ace said:

that one would require an adapter flange to be installed. I still think this one is a better deal
http://www.lethalperformance.com/driveline-driveshafts-and-loops-driveshafts-dss-c-10853_11107_11108_11109_11110/dss-2011-mustang-gt-3-5-1000hp-aluminum-driveshaft-manual-p-36605

ace72ace

drano38 said:
Ace,

Glad the deal went smooth.
Mine was similar--but I shopped for cars that were already on the lot. Once I decided on Race Red, it was 3 phone calls--first one was red/white, second was $5,000 ADM, third call was on hold for 1 minute while salesman asked manager, done. All 3 phone calls took 10 minutes.
You'll enjoy the Boss.
The wait will make it feel even better once it arrives.

Thanks! Stark contrast to last year when they all wanted 5k ADM for 500A and 10K or more for 501A... I love the new '70 style livery, and the HIDs and Sync are worth every nickel of the additional 2k bump in the price. I've always wanted to order something like this, and now I'll be able to get mine w/o swirls in the paint or god knows how many back lot burnouts by the nephew of the junior mechanic's girlfriends son... Will be able to take it home, untouched, and have it properly detailed and ready for a proper break in (with my own smoke show! j/k! those Pirellis ain't cheap!)

ace72ace

boss2511 said:
ace72ace said:
boss2511 said:
ace72ace said:

that one would require an adapter flange to be installed. I still think this one is a better deal
http://www.lethalperformance.com/driveline-driveshafts-and-loops-driveshafts-dss-c-10853_11107_11108_11109_11110/dss-2011-mustang-gt-3-5-1000hp-aluminum-driveshaft-manual-p-36605

But that one is only good for 1000hp! :eek: I will have to do some comparisons between the 2, what extra cost is involved for the adapter flange?

Justin

ace72ace said:
boss2511 said:
ace72ace said:
boss2511 said:
ace72ace said:

But that one is only good for 1000hp! :eek: I will have to do some comparisons between the 2, what extra cost is involved for the adapter flange?
it should come with it but that requires you to remove the pinion nut. then have it set back to the same drag etc as it was set. huge pain in the....cant say for sure about that one but all the ones I have seen like that are explorer shafts just cut down.

Justin

boss2511 said:
I might go with this one its cheaper and my brother has one in his 05 gt and its pretty good
http://shaftmasters.com/3aldrfomu20v5.html
scratch that idea. read the write up they did on there web site.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-driveshafts/ford/ford-2011-12-mustang-gt-6-speed-manual-1-piece-aluminum-shaft-with-cv-900hp-3-1-2-aluminum-1350-has-no-clearance-issues
yup they have me sold

Boss3o2

My local Ford Dealer has a Race Red, Recaro/Torsen optioned Boss 302 in stock. Congrats on the purchase :)

ace72ace

boss2511 said:
boss2511 said:
I might go with this one its cheaper and my brother has one in his 05 gt and its pretty good
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-driveshafts/ford/ford-2011-12-mustang-gt-6-speed-manual-1-piece-aluminum-shaft-with-cv-900hp-3-1-2-aluminum-1350-has-no-clearance-issues
yup they have me sold

The cooltech DS I posted states this in their ad; "The driveline kit comes with a brand new pinion flange. Some companies offer their driveshfts with adapter plates but the right way to do it is to have a pinion flange that will mate directly to the driveshaft.This method reduces weight and provides the best balanced system available."

So who is right? Or is it just marketing spin?

Justin

ace72ace said:
boss2511 said:
boss2511 said:
yup they have me sold

The cooltech DS I posted states this in their ad; "The driveline kit comes with a brand new pinion flange. Some companies offer their driveshfts with adapter plates but the right way to do it is to have a pinion flange that will mate directly to the driveshaft.This method reduces weight and provides the best balanced system available."

So who is right? Or is it just marketing spin?
well I know that DSS has been making the best stuff for years now. never heard of cooltech. and yes I believe that them saying that is just to make theirs sound better when really its not.

and yes I believe that them saying that is just to make theirs sound better when really its not.

OUCH! All other things being equal (and I do not know if they are or not), if you can get a DS WITHOUT an adapter, then it is fundamentally a better solution. This is NOT marketing hype. The issue is that you want the DS to be as long as possible so that the angle for the U-joints is lessened. Think about an EXTREME example. Let's say that you have a DS adapter that is 12" thick and it attaches to the differential. Then, the driveshaft would be 12" shorter and any angle differences between the trans and the diff will be greater. Now, we all know that an adapter is never 12" - more like 1".... but anything than can be done to lessen driveshaft angle (through the suspension motion of the rear end) will be better.

Secondly, I hope it is no surprise to anyone that we don't make the driveshaft that we sell. It is manufactured by a driveshaft specialty shop with several decades of experience - and with state of the art balancing equipment.

TMO Supporting Vendors