The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just pulled the trigger and track setup questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last weekend I pulled the trigger on a Race Red 2012. I was on the fence about waiting until 2013 but in the end I liked the body style on the 2012 better. However, I am regretting my decision a little after living with the car for a weekend and not having Sync. This is strictly a weekend car, but it is hard to get away from phone calls and integrated music when it is in all our other vehicles.

Up to this point I have mostly owned BMW's. Currently I have an E36 M3 (98') track car and an E90 M3 (11'). I was looking for something a little different and the Boss is definitely different. ;)

The first thing that surprised me is how big the Boss feels. It is about the same weight as the E90 M3 but feels much heavier. I can't put my foot on why there is such a difference, but it is definitely there, it almost feels like a 6 series to me. The power is amazing and the torque is much better than the M3. The M3 is very flat down low and really doesn't explode until way over 6K RPMS which can be frustrating driving around town. I am still getting used to the handling but it feels very capable. I need to get some more seat time to get more comfortable but it is very neutral from the factory and really puts the power down out of corners. The turn-in is not as sharp as I would like but I am hoping that running -2 degrees camber in the front will help that. So far the shifter seems great, no real complaints, but I will probably upgrade regardless. I thought it was a little quiet until it was uncorked....wow the side pipes are totally wicked! I am not sure if I will go with a larger hole or electric cut-outs in the future, but it is probably too loud to keep it complete uncorked unless it is a track day.

One of the big draws of getting the Boss was to get it out to the track. I have read through this site and seen a lot of suggestions on how to get the car ready. Below is a list of items that I wanted to do before my first track day. I would appreciate any input from some of you experienced Boss track junkies on things to add or things to wait on. For some background, I am an experienced track driver and make it out to about 10 events a year in a well modified M3 track car (half cage, 6 points, r-comps, coil-overs, brembos, etc) . The M3 is reliable, fade free, etc and I would like to get the Boss there as well. I plan to run the car mostly at Willow Springs. Here is the list:

1st time out
- Camber plates
- DBA 5000 fronts
- DBA 4000 rears ( do I need this right away? )
- Pad choice? ( Usually run Hawk HT10, suggestions? )
- Enkei Wheels
- Nitto NT55R
- No grill, Boss 302S grill?

Future outings
- Roll bar
- Trans cooler
- Brake cooling kit ( do I need this right away? )
- Aeroforce gauge ?
- Anything else?

So far I am loving the Boss, it is so raw! I can't wait to get it out on the track where it belongs.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Coming from an M3 as well, I agree on the 'drives heavy' feeling. I think a lot of it has to do with the relatively light spring rates and body roll.

As for your list:

- Camber plates ; I run Vorshlag. Others run Maximum Motorsports. Either are good
- DBA 5000 fronts; Not needed
- DBA 4000 rears ( do I need this right away? ); Not needed
- Pad choice? ( Usually run Hawk HT10, suggestions? ); I ran Hawk DTC70s last year... not real impressed
- Enkei Wheels; Waiting on D-Force wheels, but the Enkei are a good choice
- Nitto NT55R; assuming you are going with an 18" wheel, also look at Hankook RS-3
- No grill, Boss 302S grill?; Depending on how soon you are doing this, removing the grill is a 5-10 minute operation

I ran several events BONE STOCK without issue (other than running hot... which pulling the grill should alleviate). So my answer is 'No, you don't need it all right away'.

JScheier said:
Coming from an M3 as well, I agree on the 'drives heavy' feeling. I think a lot of it has to do with the relatively light spring rates and body roll.

As for your list:

- Camber plates ; I run Vorshlag. Others run Maximum Motorsports. Either are good
- Pad choice? ( Usually run Hawk HT10, suggestions? ); I ran Hawk DTC70s last year... not real impressed
- Nitto NT55R; assuming you are going with an 18" wheel, also look at Hankook RS-3
- No grill, Boss 302S grill?; Depending on how soon you are doing this, removing the grill is a 5-10 minute operation

I ran several events BONE STOCK without issue (other than running hot... which pulling the grill should alleviate). So my answer is 'No, you don't need it all right away'.

I run both Vorshlag camber plates and D-force wheels on the M3. So far they have been great. I looked at the D-force 18x10'S but assumed I would need to run a square setup. Can they be run a staggered setup? I heard you have to mess with sway bars if you go square and I don't want to get into that yet. The square setup is great on a lower hp car like the E36 M3 but I am concerned with the power of the Boss and the package already feels very neutral.

Crank up the suspension, and the car shrinks around you. A little. Came from a Spec E30 and an Evo IX, it feels like a tank until you get used to it. Steering will feel numb, haven't figured out a fix. Track Key really wakes the car up, it felt down right tame compared to my other cars before the install.

Hawks eat rotors in my experience, even on light cars. Friend who races a regular Mustang uses EBC Blue (I think that was the color), I've never tried them but I have a set in a box for the E30 next time it needs pads.

Dot 4 brake fluid. Do it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Get the brake cooling kit in there since you are already experienced and will likely be pushing the car harder than a n00b.

Pads PFC PF01 front PF97 rear.

I have a second grille for the track, would recommend this if you're tracking with ambient temps above 85*.

I would do the tranny cooling scoop. Especially if you are tracking on a hot day. The car does get hot.

Welcome to BMO and congratulations. Looks like your mod list covers it and you've done your homework.

If you think the car feels raw now wait until you turn up the shocks and add TracKey. 8)

CaliMR said:
Crank up the suspension, and the car shrinks around you. A little. Came from a Spec E30 and an Evo IX, it feels like a tank until you get used to it. Steering will feel numb, haven't figured out a fix. Track Key really wakes the car up, it felt down right tame compared to my other cars before the install.

Hawks eat rotors in my experience, even on light cars. Friend who races a regular Mustang uses EBC Blue (I think that was the color), I've never tried them but I have a set in a box for the E30 next time it needs pads.

Dot 4 brake fluid. Do it.

Still haven't played with the suspension yet. I'll need to crank it up a little and see how it changes the feel. I am hoping a little more negative camber up front will help with the steering feel. It did wonders on the E90 M3. Track Key is ordered from the dealer, should come in next week. The factory throttle response and tip-in is not so good stock, I was a little surprised by that.

Yes brake fluid, should have put that on my first list.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Jza1736 said:
I would do the tranny cooling scoop. Especially if you are tracking on a hot day. The car does get hot.

shiznit, forgot that. YES ABSOLUTELY get the trans scoop for use on track. This is highly recommended by FRPP engineers.

Teamsketch said:
JScheier said:

As for your list:

I run both Vorshlag camber plates and D-force wheels on the M3. So far they have been great. I looked at the D-force 18x10'S but assumed I would need to run a square setup. Can they be run a staggered setup? I heard you have to mess with sway bars if you go square and I don't want to get into that yet. The square setup is great on a lower hp car like the E36 M3 but I am concerned with the power of the Boss and the package already feels very neutral.
If you want to run staggered, then get the Enkeis. The stagger keeps it perfectly balanced with the stock suspension and with the offsets, it moves the track out significantly for better cornering.

I must be the last Neandrethal on Earth that likes the DTCs ??? I got 20 track days out of my DBA fronts with DTC 70s last year. That's not bad IMO and I'm not exactly easy on things :D

ArizonaGT said:
Get the brake cooling kit in there since you are already experienced and will likely be pushing the car harder than a n00b.

Pads PFC PF01 front PF97 rear.

I have a second grille for the track, would recommend this if you're tracking with ambient temps above 85*.

I've never used PFC but I have heard good things. What is good place to get them for the Boss? I doubt Bimmerworld will carry what I need. ;)

What Grill did you settle on for the track? I know there was a long thread around here about it but I don't remember there being a whole lot of consensus about what actually works.

5 DOT 0 said:
Welcome to BMO and congratulations. Looks like your mod list covers it and you've done your homework.

If you think the car feels raw now wait until you turn up the shocks and add TracKey. 8)

Thanks for the welcome! After everything I have heard, I am looking forward to getting the track key installed. Little things like throttle response, tip-in and engine braking can make all the difference in the world when they are calibrated right. I know the the Boss is capable, I just need more seat time to become better acclimated to the nuances of the car. I'm always like that with new vehicles, the driver needs to be broken in just as much as the car. ;D

Teamsketch said:
I know the the Boss is capable, I just need more seat time to become better acclimated to the nuances of the car. I'm always like that with new vehicles, the driver needs to be broken in just as much as the car. ;D

Tighten the nut behind the wheel ;D

Another question about camber plates. On other cars I have had with IRS, if I ran more than one degree of camber difference between front and rear I would get oversteer. For example on the M3 I would run -2.5 degrees in the front and -1.5 degree in the rear. How does this work with a solid rear axle on the Boss? Are there any provisions to change camber or toe? I am concerned that if I run agressive settings up front (-2.5) I will save the tires but get massive oversteer.

TMO Supporting Vendors