The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Just sharing my excitement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After over a year of dreaming. 6/21 I will be fulfilling a goal and driving my car not just on Atlanta roads....but the actual Road Atlanta!
My car has been in a pretty happy place lately R&M wise. I have a lightened work load with corona virus. Usually the track days are full before I can think of scheduling. I also registered for a half day event at AMP.
Brakes are gonna be on point with pads and fluid, helmet was on sale at Discovery Parts. Got a G Force Rift for $129, cheaper (and lighter) than the Conquer on Amazon I'd been stalking for when the time came. Ordered some numbers 427, my daughters birth month and day, which she noticed immediately. I hadn't noticed she had a cool cubic inch birthday, until I thought if people ask about "my engine swap".
I haven't had a lot to add/post as a newbie to the track stuff, but I have definitely been stalking this forum A LOT. Without this forum I never would have know of some great places to find great stuff including, Vorshlag, Apex, OP, and I got some stuff in my cart at KNS as I type this up.
So thank you everyone!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
What’s great is your excitement won’t end after the first day - it will only intensify for each track day going forward! Last May was my first time on track with my Mustang — just completed track day #11 last Thursday, on 4 different tracks and I’m counting the minutes until the next date on the calendar. Road course driving is WAY more technical than I expected - make sure you spend equal time studying techniques as you do shopping for mods. And use an instructor if available for your first few outings. It’s not only the best way to go fast sooner - the safety factor is worth every penny. Have fun!!

... And use an instructor if available for your first few outings. It’s not only the best way to go fast sooner - the safety factor is worth every penny. ...

I've been instructing HPDE for 23 years and I STILL get other instructors to ride with me whenever I can during the instructor sessions. There is ALWAYS more to learn about driving.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
RA is my favorite track in the US and it needs to be respected , but that is both the excitement and the challenge. Take your time and work on sections that you feel the most comfortable on first. The thrill and concentration at RA is beyond measure compared to many tracks, but it is a challenge that every track rat wants to attempt to master. I put it up there with Road America , Mid Ohio, Barber, VIR, Utah Motorsports Park, Laguna Seca etc. and I personally like it the best, overall. So , I completely understand your excitement and it is well founded. Enjoy , enjoy, and feel the thrill coming down the hill ( turn 12 )!!!!!

PS - way to go Corral Man , I have instructed for 21 years and know few who have for that long , but you got me beat!

Stanger58

Owner / Lead Instructor / Driver Coach
Most awesome! And congrats on taking this first step. So, soooo many people talk about driving their Mustangs on track, but so few actually follow through.

Road Atlanta is a VERY serious track for your first time, but... if you LISTEN to your instructors and respect the fact that you have much to learn, it can be a very successful event for you.

What group are you driving with?

Oh yeah... and be prepared for the addiction! Track is Crack!

Jeff Lacina
Owner / Lead Instructor
Track Guys Performance Driving Events

Stanger58

Owner / Lead Instructor / Driver Coach
careful, RA can bite you

EVERY track can bite you... some just chew on ya a WHOLE lot harder and longer. And yes, Road Atlanta is know for it's appetite for the inattentive and over-eager drivers and cars that stray from the hard stuff.

TMO Supporting Vendors