The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

K&N Air Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Any advantage to putting one of these in with a stock airbox ? I put one on my Mazda and all I could notice was my gas mileage went down. Excuse me if this has already been covered but I didn't see anything in the search function.

sys999 said:
I used it just because it was the recommended replacement part. I like being able to clean it as well every few thousand.

I can't say it gave me 1000 extra horsepower or anything like that, though. ;D

You didn't follow the instructions--you have to put the sticker on your window to get the 1000 hp.

Fomoco302 said:
Any advantage to putting one of these in with a stock airbox ? I put one on my Mazda and all I could notice was my gas mileage went down. Excuse me if this has already been covered but I didn't see anything in the search function.
You may have over-oiled it and gotten some oil on the MAF or MAP sensor (whichever your Mazda had). I read a Grassroots Motorsports article a few years ago (maybe 2006-7) that compared stock paper, K&N and Green air filters (and maybe some others that I forget) on a Miata, and the K&N flowed less than the stocker. The only one that registered on the dyno was the Green and that wasn't very much.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel