The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

K&N Filter panel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does anyone have a K&n panel filter element in place of the stock filter? Does the ECM handle it OK? Just checking as I have heard that the newer cars are so wired that they may or may not handle even this small change. I'm an old FOx body guy so bear with me on what may seam like stupid questions

No worries, they even have "developed with Ford Racing" printed on the box. You can run them, no problem....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
No problems from the newer cars. IIRC, that was an issue with the '05 cars when they were new. Didn't have any issues with the few SN95 cars either.

I went with the AEM dryflow drop-in filter. Some oiled filters are known to contaminate the MAF sensor more quickly, hence I went with the dry reusable filter.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
F.D. Sako said:
"Some oiled filters are known to contaminate the MAF sensor more quickly."

I could see this happening when the owner serviced the filter and applied way too much oil.

But, this is not an issue with new filters.

They do flow more are with less restriction.

Good luck and enjoy it.

302 Hi Pro

That being said, a can of crc mass air cleaner should be in every ones tool box and part of periodic maintenance and inspection. As far as cleaning a K&N, I have been using them in my vehicles since 94 and have never been able to clean one to my satisfaction (or re-oil it). The pleats always bend or wave a little bit. I just replace it periodically. I know, I've got OCD issues!!

I'm not worried about the cost of replacing one but the novelty of running run with periodically cleaning is really important to most (like 99.99998 percent of most people, I'm probably the outlier).

The K&N panel filter sold at most stores an the one sold by Ford Performance are the exact same part, even the box is the same. Only the part number sticker is different depending on how it is purchased. I was encouraged by some one at Ford Performance to put one in my boss as it was originally going to be part of the Track Key package. It supposedly enhances the sound when in track key mode.

You can get these a Wallmart, Pepboys, and the even had a $10 rebate offer per filter this year......

I don't think you'll notice anything with these filters, I can't even recall if engine noise increased... then again with the lopey idle, I wouldn't notice it.

TMO Supporting Vendors