The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 KazarS197 (Mark's) Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouch! I feel you...

10K RPM wire wheel...no sleeves.
View attachment 62615

Die grinder wheel explosion...no gloves.
View attachment 62616

Previously mentioned wire wheel in the knee...shorts.
View attachment 62617
We'll have to do a thread in the paddock section about our DIY project injuries. šŸ˜‚. I have a pretty good feeling that you're old school, put a little spit on a cut and keep going. šŸ˜‰ I was building a retaing wall for my father-in-law a few years ago, got distracted by my nephew whining about doing a little manual work and smashed the distal portion of my thumb with a 3 lb heavy hammer while setting pins. Reshaped it , put a band aid on, wrapped with electric tape and finished the day. Go to the ER in the evening and they want to burn a hole to " release pressure" and do I want lidocaine? I said by the time you stick a needle under and around my nail you could have it done...

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Old school...probably. Maybe I should tell my wife to call me that instead of just ā€œOldā€ it sounds/feels better...šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£. I remember when I was welding in the convertible inner rockers. Wish I would have had a rotisserie...šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬šŸ¤¬. Was laying under the car on its dolly...welding upside down...never a good idea without a vest...donā€™t own one, and the t-shirt I had on when the rosette weld fell out of the puddle onto my chest just didnā€™t work too well. Shirt caught fire...briefly. Permanent 1/4ā€ divot in my chest. Took a brake, came home...for more abuse...verbal that is. I love her...my wife. Oh the memories!!! I actually thanked her today for the first time for tolerating me and the build of the car last year.

On the dolly right after all the structural welding I did prior to blasting.
1613345887028.jpeg

She was a good girl and let me do the rear pads and lines without even trying to bite me once. As a reward, when the weather breaks, she'll get a good washing and her choice of lotions! FYI the same Dorman banjo bolts (#13940)with the SS Russell lines work on the OEM rear calipers also.
KIMG3977.JPG

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I think my 4 wheeled friend heard me talking about "bleeding" so the sucker bit me! Bottom caliper broke free at the same time that I looked and saw I was in-between the ratchet and bottom of the caliper. I don't like wearing gloves. Maybe I'll learn... I swore a bit then pulled out a few persuasive tools and made a couple threats so I wouldn't get any more back talk. Everything went smoothly after that. Passenger side done. Much quicker than the other. Sometimes I hate when that happens because I think I missed something.
View attachment 62613View attachment 62614
That hurts just looking at it. :(

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
We'll have to do a thread in the paddock section about our DIY project injuries. šŸ˜‚. I have a pretty good feeling that you're old school, put a little spit on a cut and keep going. šŸ˜‰ I was building a retaing wall for my father-in-law a few years ago, got distracted by my nephew whining about doing a little manual work and smashed the distal portion of my thumb with a 3 lb heavy hammer while setting pins. Reshaped it , put a band aid on, wrapped with electric tape and finished the day. Go to the ER in the evening and they want to burn a hole to " release pressure" and do I want lidocaine? I said by the time you stick a needle under and around my nail you could have it done...

80d21ea329b54479f3b32738eb1e438d.jpg

Every bled and back together. Good brake clearance up front with oem 20" street wheels and 15 mm spacers. Unfortunately I think the ABS block drained when I had the lines off and no peddle until about 1/2 way- even after pumping the brakes. Took it around the block and got the ABS to go off a few times.

Do you think that is enough ABS function so that I can completely rebleed. Do I need to get the adapter for my laptop and do the FORscan ABS function?

Edit - Never mind - OBD connector just ordered and will wait to rebleed.

Brake / wheel clearance:
KIMG3980.JPG

Last edited:
Nice! What are you feeding the ducts with? Tunnels in a splitter? Short hoses from fog lights to wheel well? Lower grill to wheel well?
Still need to figure out the feed. Need to pull the front wheel well plastic to see what I have to work with. My lower fascia is the goofy 2012 design. I'll probably have to fab something. I may cut out the centers leaving an attachment on the outsides. The lower part of the fascia is just a gaurd but might be able to cut and fold up the one section fo an additional type of duct. That's next week's project.InkedDSCN8310_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Cutouts done today for air flow to the deflectors. Driver's side is darn near a straight shot. Passenger side is not so good due to the windshield washer reservoir. I also did a small type of underside tunnel. I'm not doing any short ducting because I think it would more reduce air flow than anything. My saying is " It's better than it was..." The pic are the driver's side in finished to beginning order.

KIMG4183.JPG

KIMG4182.JPG

KIMG4181.JPG

KIMG4178.JPG

ZL1 tow hook fitment and done. I really wanted it in the center but it went in/on so easy I figured why mess with it. I think it still looks OK . The lower rad was getting beat up so installed some mesh that matches the brake inlets. The grill was faded pretty bad so figured with clip off give it a quick spray paint refresh. The mesh is spray painted black but hard to tell with the reflection in the pic.KIMG4185.JPGKIMG4186.JPG
View attachment 64647

Last edited:
I had to detune to 92 due to E85 availability near Pitt Race was too far and had no way of transporting the amount of fuel for an HPDE.

I tell you what, multiple pulls up to around 7300 RPM had me puckering!!! Fortunately, the entire morning went without a glitch of even a hint of problems and now have safe dedicated E85 and 92 tunes. My tuner was laughing when I voiced my concerns. He said he was watching and listening very closely and my Coyote was a well taken care of loose motor, should be good to 7500 and was surprised to see the kind of gains that I had with the specific mods that are on the car. I told him there is NO reason for me to push it way up in that range and will try to keep it 7000 and below. I know some guys will go there with a gen 1 motor but see that as looking for trouble.
Final numbers on a Mustang Dyno
E85 -- 431 whp and 389 torque.
92 -- 424 whp and 383 torque.
Not too bad for an NA car.
With those numbers I can't see why I would go back to E85 unless I was really looking to have the car run much cooler at the track.

Last edited:
I had to detune to 92 due to E85 availability near Pitt Race was too far and had no way of transporting the amount of fuel for an HPDE.

I tell you what, multiple pulls up to around 7300 RPM had me puckering!!! Fortunately, the entire morning went without a glitch of even a hint of problems and now have safe dedicated E85 and 92 tunes. My tuner was laughing when I voiced my concerns. He said he was watching and listening very closely and my Coyote was a well taken care of loose motor and should be good to 7500 and was surprised to see the kind of gains that I had with the specific mods that are on the car. I told him there is NO reason for me to push it way up in that range and will try to keep it 7000 and below. I know some guys will go there with a gen 1 motor but see that as looking for trouble.
Final numbers on a Mustang Dyno
E85 -- 431 whp and 389 torque.
92 -- 424 whp and 383 torque.
With those numbers I can't see why I would go back to E85 unless I was really looking to have the car run much cooler at the track.
E85
DSCN8311.JPG
DSCN8314.JPG

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel