The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keep my S197 or sell for a used GT350?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
So as the title states I’m on the fence about keeping my S197 or selling it and buying a used GT350. I love my S197 and never had intentions of selling it but now that emissions testing has become much more strict in CA it will have to become a HPDE/track only car. Previously it was a weekend/HPDE car. I recently started to make more track oriented modifications to it with the intentions of going the route of full track car, until the I had the idea of a GT350. Buying a GT350 will not be a cheap investment by any means but at least I’ll be able to enjoy it on the street when I want and have a HPDE/track capable car as well.
I also have no idea what a 2012 GT in my cars current state would go for considering it’s not streetable (in CA at least) and it’s also not a full on race car either. I guess I’m just asking for some input from you guys, maybe someone has had in a similar experience and can chime in.
Here’s a list of most of the mods I can think of off the top of my head.

2012 Mustang GT

Engine:
L&M intake only cams
Boss valve springs
Boundary OPG/crank sprocket
Cobra jet manifold
Ford twin 65mm TB
JLT intake
JLT oil separator

Transmission/Driveline:
McLeod RST
High RPM pulse ring
MGW race shifter
Whiteline bushing
Driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft
Eaton Truetrac

Suspension:
Feal 441 coilovers 10k F/ 6k R
Vorshlag CC plates
Maximum Motorsports K member
Whiteline watts link
Whiteline adjustable LCAs
Eibach front sway bar(rear sway bar delete)

Wheels/Brakes:
Sve 19x11
Brembo 4 piston fronts
13-14 GT500 rear rotors

Interior:
Corbeau FX1 pro with 5pt harness
Harness bar
Passenger and rear seats removed

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Unfortunately I don’t. I’ve moved quite a few times since buying the car back in 2013 and at the time it was easier to just sell extras. I now regret making those decisions back then.

The S197 (IMO) is still the gold standard for Mustangs, yes, they have been superseded by the S550 models but the old S197 is still winning races and doing it fairly cheaply. I'm sorry to hear the People's Republik of Kalifornia has changed its' emission standard once again. If you have to recertify the car it can be a PITA, however, if you don't, and if the parts are reasonable, try to get it back closer to stock. For a while you could use aftermarket, high performance cats and come away clean every time, but then you might still fail the visual inspection. tough choices, I live in the free state of Florida so we don't have any type of vehicle inspection.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
So as the title states I’m on the fence about keeping my S197 or selling it and buying a used GT350. I love my S197 and never had intentions of selling it but now that emissions testing has become much more strict in CA it will have to become a HPDE/track only car. Previously it was a weekend/HPDE car. I recently started to make more track oriented modifications to it with the intentions of going the route of full track car, until the I had the idea of a GT350. Buying a GT350 will not be a cheap investment by any means but at least I’ll be able to enjoy it on the street when I want and have a HPDE/track capable car as well.
I also have no idea what a 2012 GT in my cars current state would go for considering it’s not streetable (in CA at least) and it’s also not a full on race car either. I guess I’m just asking for some input from you guys, maybe someone has had in a similar experience and can chime in.
Here’s a list of most of the mods I can think of off the top of my head.

2012 Mustang GT

Engine:
L&M intake only cams
Boss valve springs
Boundary OPG/crank sprocket
Cobra jet manifold
Ford twin 65mm TB
JLT intake
JLT oil separator

Transmission/Driveline:
McLeod RST
High RPM pulse ring
MGW race shifter
Whiteline bushing
Driveshaft shop aluminum driveshaft
Eaton Truetrac

Suspension:
Feal 441 coilovers 10k F/ 6k R
Vorshlag CC plates
Maximum Motorsports K member
Whiteline watts link
Whiteline adjustable LCAs
Eibach front sway bar(rear sway bar delete)

Wheels/Brakes:
Sve 19x11
Brembo 4 piston fronts
13-14 GT500 rear rotors

Interior:
Corbeau FX1 pro with 5pt harness
Harness bar
Passenger and rear seats removed
Sounds like you've got quite a nice little track car already, and resale on a non street legal/non race legal car wont be very appealing, I'd just keep it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
If you can get a stock intake, throttle body and air filter (unless its a JLT that doesn't require a tune) then you might be able to pass emissions with the stock tune even with the L&M intake cams.

When I've played around with loading and unloading tunes with my SCT X4 before I installed my JLT Series II CAI, the car would idle fine and go around the block just fine with the stock tune and my L&M intake cams, Boss exhaust cams, 2018 intake, and stock CAI with the exception of a K&N tube and drop-in filter. With the JLT Series II it would not idle well at all due to the different MAF flow.

Now if you have to drive the car around for 50 or so miles for it to be inspection ready since you cleared the ECU, I don't know how that would affect your car.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Thanks for all the input everyone. I’ll still take some time to think it through but it sounds like keeping it would probably be the better option for now. I’ll just have to make more time to visit the track and get more use out of it now that the street is no longer an option. It’s good to hear that others with S197s are still happy and enjoying their cars and that they are still competitive on track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
If you can get a stock intake, throttle body and air filter (unless its a JLT that doesn't require a tune) then you might be able to pass emissions with the stock tune even with the L&M intake cams.

When I've played around with loading and unloading tunes with my SCT X4 before I installed my JLT Series II CAI, the car would idle fine and go around the block just fine with the stock tune and my L&M intake cams, Boss exhaust cams, 2018 intake, and stock CAI with the exception of a K&N tube and drop-in filter. With the JLT Series II it would not idle well at all due to the different MAF flow.

Now if you have to drive the car around for 50 or so miles for it to be inspection ready since you cleared the ECU, I don't know how that would affect your car.
I forgot to mention I also have long tubes so I don’t think that will be an option.
but if I come across a cheap set of stock manifolds/cats I might make the swap every couple of years for the sake of a little street use. It’s also good to know the L&M cams will work with the stock tune long enough to get a smog.

Skip the GT350 for a track car - every person I know who regularly tracks a GT350 has had to replace the motor at least once. I am sure that I will get some heat from other board members for saying the GT350 engine is not reliable, but spend enough time at the track and you will figure it out for yourself.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Thanks for all the input everyone. I’ll still take some time to think it through but it sounds like keeping it would probably be the better option for now. I’ll just have to make more time to visit the track and get more use out of it now that the street is no longer an option. It’s good to hear that others with S197s are still happy and enjoying their cars and that they are still competitive on track.

Little late to the party, but question. Is the goal to get more power, get a new car or just having something that is able to be both street and track functional?

If its the latter, why not just commit to your existing racer as a full time race car and then get a weekend S550 so you have a dedicated one of each? If realistically the goal is simply to have a new, high HP car, then will you ever be satisfied with the existing car? Just get the GT350 and know you are still wanting it to be everything to everyone, so to speak.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Little late to the party, but question. Is the goal to get more power, get a new car or just having something that is able to be both street and track functional?

If its the latter, why not just commit to your existing racer as a full time race car and then get a weekend S550 so you have a dedicated one of each? If realistically the goal is simply to have a new, high HP car, then will you ever be satisfied with the existing car? Just get the GT350 and know you are still wanting it to be everything to everyone, so to speak.
The goal was to have a track capable car that I could still take out on the street if I just wanted to go for a cruise.
Realistically though, if I bought a GT350 I don’t know that I would actually abuse it on a track out of fear of damaging it or worse..loving it and starting the race car build all over again lol
I think if I keep my S197 I have the freedom to go full race car and enjoy it to its full potential on track and not being able to street drive it just keeps me out of trouble and reduces wear on it

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I think if I keep my S197 I have the freedom to go full race car and enjoy it to its full potential on track and not being able to street drive it just keeps me out of trouble and reduces wear on it
Bingo.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Virginia
It was a night and day difference between my S197 moving to my 15 GT PP and then when I got the GT350 it was like a whole new level and experience. I'd even contemplated the 2020 GT500 after a few test drives but still couldn't give up the 350.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
I think that’s another reason I’m leaning towards keeping the S197. I would assume if/when my coyote goes out it would be relatively inexpensive to rebuild/replace compared to the GT350 5.2. And like I said in my previous post, I don’t think I would feel comfortable beating on it like I do the 5.0 out of fear of damaging such a special car.

TMO Supporting Vendors