The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keep my S197 or sell for a used GT350?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
If you can get a stock intake, throttle body and air filter (unless its a JLT that doesn't require a tune) then you might be able to pass emissions with the stock tune even with the L&M intake cams.

When I've played around with loading and unloading tunes with my SCT X4 before I installed my JLT Series II CAI, the car would idle fine and go around the block just fine with the stock tune and my L&M intake cams, Boss exhaust cams, 2018 intake, and stock CAI with the exception of a K&N tube and drop-in filter. With the JLT Series II it would not idle well at all due to the different MAF flow.

Now if you have to drive the car around for 50 or so miles for it to be inspection ready since you cleared the ECU, I don't know how that would affect your car.
As I understand it, the issue in CA now is that the State's emission testing computers are looking for the authenticity of the calibration. Using checksum or some other info to determine the legitimate source of the tune. Using SCT or other device even to re-load the stock calibrations may be detectable? I've heard rumors of people needing to have Ford recalibrate ECU after being referred to the State Bureau of Auto Repair Referee.
This could make the cams a problem too.
I'll be finding out myself very soon (Aug)

As I understand it, the issue in CA now is that the State's emission testing computers are looking for the authenticity of the calibration. Using checksum or some other info to determine the legitimate source of the tune. Using SCT or other device even to re-load the stock calibrations may be detectable? I've heard rumors of people needing to have Ford recalibrate ECU after being referred to the State Bureau of Auto Repair Referee.
This could make the cams a problem too.
I'll be finding out myself very soon (Aug)

Time to register it in Montana.

Need the Boss PCM system with Track Key where you have two calibrations, and a key for each ;)
If having 'Ford Authentic Programming' is an issue for OP's 2012, perhaps you can get a PCM (CR3Z-12A650-...) from a salvage yard and have it programmed by Ford as a replacement using your As-Built Profile. You can also get a replacement online if you know the 'Variant' code of your part number, the bit after CR3Z-12A650- on the sticker on the leading edge facing the fuse box (under 'PN:').
See this to find the label:
Just a couple screws and a few latch cables right up front-n-center in your engine bay. Not sure if this has any other ramifications, but I've seen instances of PCM-tune swapping via hardware like that on other makes/models where they don't have the convenience of handheld tuners.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel