The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keeping it original - or new parts...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just get OEM replacement panels. I went through this with my car. I bought my car on a Saturday afternoon and drove it to work that Monday. I came outside to see that somebody backed into my passenger side fender and smashed it in. I ended up getting an OEM fender. It wasn't cost effective to repair the original and there were no guarantees that it would come out 100% straight without having to use bondo.

My car had less than 100 miles on it when it got hit :( I was irate!

DEye

You can't get there from here...
LikeABauce302 said:
Just get OEM replacement panels. I went through this with my car. I bought my car on a Saturday afternoon and drove it to work that Monday. I came outside to see that somebody backed into my passenger side fender and smashed it in. I ended up getting an OEM fender. It wasn't cost effective to repair the original and there were no guarantees that it would come out 100% straight without having to use bondo.

My car had less than 100 miles on it when it got hit :( I was irate!

I feel your pain, on the way home from picking up a previous car after a deer colision the first and biggest paint chip happened.
I'm thinking of getting a new door and NOT letting them touch anything else on the car, match the paint on the door to the rest of the car NO blending the whole car.

If you can get a new door, that is the best option. If not, have them straighten the existing door, a new door skin is a time consuming job that requires a lot of detail to get it right. Whatever happens, you need to let them blend the panels, if you don't, chances are the color difference between the panels will be easy to spot in a couple of years.

DEye

So I got it back from the shop, ug !
They @&$(&: up on the size of flake they used when they re-did the paint on the fender so it looks brighter/lighter AND it's obvious the *sparkle* in the paint is not the same ...

Now the re-work starts... :mad:

Maybe I should sue the woman who did it for loss of future value, it will ever sell for the same as a "Clean" car... ( if i kept it Pristine for 20 years) Even if they get the color right!

DEye said:
So I got it back from the shop, ug !
They @&$(&: up on the size of flake they used when they re-did the paint on the fender so it looks brighter/lighter AND it's obvious the *sparkle* in the paint is not the same ...

Now the re-work starts... :mad:

Maybe I should sue the woman who did it for loss of future value, it will ever sell for the same as a "Clean" car... ( if i kept it Pristine for 20 years) Even if they get the color right!

A little insurance secret they don't want you to know. You can file a diminished value claim after the repairs are completed. You have to do this with the at fault insurance company. They will ask you to provide info say from a Ford dealer as to what you're trade in value would be w/o the accident, then with the accident based on the work done. Try to get the best delta between numbers as possible. You won't get 100%, roughly 75% if you are lucky. If they don't like your appraisal they will send their own. They will send a guy anyway to inspect the repair.

A body shop repairing the work on my '08 Shelby that got hit in the front quarter when an 80 yr old man ran a red light. I got close to $3000 dollars. I tried to trade the Shelby a couple times after that. One dealer was not interested, the other offered me $6K less than what I owed. Blue Book and average auction price was higher than what I owed.

I was lucky when I got my Boss. The dealer was looking to move his two Bosses and I was able to get $500 more than I owed and out off the Shelby.

For reference it was north of $10K worth of damage.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
How about this... Buy this car:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?&listingId=367752745
6d03f44bf42744cd9e7a85f27fc3d6e8.jpg

Swap panels, put on OEM graphics, sell V6.

I wouldn't try to match any of the factory tri-coat colors.

DEye

More on the saga...

Stopped by a friends ( body man) shop to talk /ask about work / job done on the car.
He calls over the Paint guy and some humming and hawing later he figures that the added clear coat acts like a lens to magnify the particles under it making the flakes look bigger and reflect more light !
Hence the lighter/brighter paint.

His solution, 1000 wet Sand and buff, to get it back down to Normal.
I'll go talk to th shop this week....

TMO Supporting Vendors