The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keeping the Boss cool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:
Guess no one here likes a fluidyne radiator. 250 bucks is cheap for that rad. fully tig welded pressure tested. oh well.

Killer price on that rad for sure

Ok so I am old school as I go along with mods in this car, the last car I built was a fox body back 14 years ago nice huh no I back then switched to speedboats and streetbikes anyway I have always put a 4 core aluminum radiator so when I see this I have to first ask is there a 4 core out there?

how about this mod. i have heard talk of it before. found these guys and there kit not long ago. seems that in theory it should work. might help in the cooling dpt

MMR 2011-2013 5.0 Head Cooling Mod

MMR's cooling head mod is designed to help eliminate hotspots in the #8 cylinder by promoting coolant flow around cylinder # 8 - the cylinder long known to be the first to detonate with aggressive naturally aspirated tunes and forced induction. Dont fall victim to this failure, protect your investment with this simple, professional kit. Installation requires tapping out the factory freeze plugs (very easy) and simply installing the MMR kit. Kit is sealed with high grade O rings (included). Socketless hose does not require hose clamps for simple push on installation. Inlcudes all parts shown, no other parts required. Fits all Mustang, BOSS and F150 with 5.0 TiVCT engine. Billet Alloy construction. This should be the first step in modifying your 5.0 , 100% USA MADE by MMR

Normally $229.99
ON SALE NOW FOR $189.99

Order here now: Products » 2011 Mustang Parts » MMR » PN#455478 MMR 2011-2013 5.0 Head Cooling Mod

Dealer Inquiries Invited

or call 1-877-MOD-POWR

cant post the pics. wish this sight made that easier. basicly the kit uses the rear cyl head coolant plugs to mount two coolant manifolds. those are tied together with a hose.so you end up with coolant flow between the two heads at the rear of the block

http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-197-mustang-gt-2011/1378247-2011-2013-mustang-gt-cooling-head-mod-mmr-eliminate-8-cylinder-failure-today.html

here are pics of these things. im curious how they would work

That's very interesting. Are you going to install it?

2011CM2.jpg

2011CM.jpg

zzyzx

Steve
[quote author=OLOABoss]
Pencool 2000, used to called Nalcool, was developed for heavy equipment, marine applications and trucks to prevent corrosion by raising the ph of the water and prevent cavitation pitting of the cyl walls. I used it for over 30 years in the Citrus business and carried it over to my dedicated track M3 and also the GT3. Water wetter is nothing more than a surfactant that reduces surface tension.

If it good enough for a CAT it's good enough for me.

Peter
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, Peter!

Actually that looks great if it does the difference then I am in. Is there any room at all for installation? I can make anything needed just have to have an idea of what ;D Guessing some type of breaker bar to remove the old freeze plugs their kit looks pretty easy to get in as far as just a cut down allen wrench. Maybe the only way is to remove the heads?

this was posted by mmr in gremlinsteve's link

"The Install can be completed in the car, like many modifications such as headers etc it is tight but can be done. A local customer just did the install and said he removed the intake manifold and used a curved pry bar between the firewall and the freeze plug, once the freeze plug turned sideways he was able to grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out, he explained it as being pretty easy with the manifold being off."

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
captdistraction said:
The Fluidyne radiator showed up today, its definitely a 2 row piece, 2 rows of 1" tubes, but way beefier than the stock GT piece. Looks great, lots of nice looking welds on it.
when I got mine for my 96 I was upset that I couldnt let more of it be shown it was to pretty to hide away lol

Regarding MMR cooling cross over. After reading their site, I still don't understand how this addresses the issue of inadaquate coolant jacketing around the number 8 cylinder head area. Putting a cross over at the rear of the motor where there is equal pressure will not promote any flow from one side to the other. Enlarging the passage from the head at #8 into the block deck would increase flow past the #8 area causing more heat transfer. Anybody have a solid explanation of how this works and any data on what the before and after temps are at #8 for this mod?

Thanks,
Mike

TMO Supporting Vendors