The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keeping the Boss cool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We just installed one on a built turboed GT and as well as a built bottom end BOSS. Results to comes soon with 1/4 and road course because each person does either one. Installation is is easy with the motor out of the car. If the motor is installed, will be hard but pulling the manifold off will create more room.

on SVTP, MMR posted up how to do it with the motor in the car.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Boss_302 said:
Justin said:
the fluidyne rad is on sale now better get while the getting is good
http://www.brenspeed.com/06-2001-b11692a.html

WILL NOT FIT A BOSS 302!!! :(
I seen that too. after I emailed them 48 times for an answer. I dont see how it wouldnt fit a boss as the ford racing fits both the GT and boss....

The radiator is NOT the weak point in the Boss set-up. A few owners have upgraded to the 302S radiator with virtually no (positive) differences. Improving air flow into and out of the OEM radiator is your best bet - and best bang for the buck. 2012 owners should either remove the front grill duing track events or replace the grill with one which is more open. Getting the air out can be accomplished with hood vents or the Tiger Racing hood. For those tracking the car on weekends, you should really install an oil cooler to keep oil temps in check. We've seen oil temps as high as 340F without a cooler and 225F or less under the same conditions with a cooler.

Sesshomurai

CoolTechLLC said:
The radiator is NOT the weak point in the Boss set-up. A few owners have upgraded to the 302S radiator with virtually no (positive) differences. Improving air flow into and out of the OEM radiator is your best bet - and best bang for the buck. 2012 owners should either remove the front grill duing track events or replace the grill with one which is more open. Getting the air out can be accomplished with hood vents or the Tiger Racing hood. For those tracking the car on weekends, you should really install an oil cooler to keep oil temps in check. We've seen oil temps as high as 340F without a cooler and 225F or less under the same conditions with a cooler.

Any recommendations on oil cooler?

Would the 12 quart Ford Racing Oil Pan make a difference in temps?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12061

George

CoolTechLLC said:

340 is pretty serious, I was hitting 265 at the in-pan sensor on my turbo car and occasionally as high as 285 and was always worried about the oil going bad. Is the temp accessible from the OBD on a 12 or just water temp?

Then were does the head temp come from? Is it EGTs? Maybe they crammed a few more widebands into the radiator and oil pan, and that is where all the random CELs are coming from because they are more sensitive than crude temp sensors :p

I'm curious because the TK is supposed to activate the idle after it hits a certain temp, at least that is what the brochure says.

Is the hood on the 13 shorter or is the snout longer? If the hood is shorter, then the latch area must be different, and may be designed in a way that allows less leak by through the latch hole.

I'm curious because the TK is supposed to activate the idle after it hits a certain temp, at least that is what the brochure says.

Yeah, I'm messin' with you (sorry). It IS true, however that the Boss has no water temp sensor - yet in the boss there is a water temp gauge and the LS has even a more detailed - presumably more accurate water temp gauge! The reality is that the Boss has cylinder head temp sensors - one on each head. From cylinder head temps (CHT), they derive water temps. Kind of ironic if you think about it. Back in the day - what you really wanted to know was cylinder head temps but the closest that you could get was water temps. Decades later we now have ability to have CHT's in mass productions cars - but water temps are backwards computed because that is what everyone is used to seeing. So, yes, through the OBDII port, you will get a signal of water temps -just know that this is being computed.

Regarding oil temps.... there is no provision for that. If you track the car and run high RPMs just trust the oil temps can really soar!

Wow, you got me too.

Might be interesting to install a water temp sender and gage to compare the readings under different conditions. Certainly cylinder head temp is critical for valve train life, head gasket durability and detonation control, but coolant temp is also important for integrity of the cooling system. Temp is directly related to pressure as the coolant eventually tries to go from liquid (which absorbs heat efficiently) to gas (which doesn't).

I do know this, every part of that engine compartment gets much hotter in daily use than my 1969 has ever been, including on the track. Given the physics, there seems much less margin for pushing it higher.

Thanks for the info on the ECU system operation.

Mike

I'm trying to keep the mods on my Boss to a minimum (although it's at the shop right now having new Steeda springs installed and awaiting delivery of MGW shifter). Last summer I could not run full throttle on track on a 90 deg. plus day without pegging the temp gauge. This summer I have run several 90 deg. plus days on track and never saw temps higher than 225 on the Aeroforce. The only mod: A Roush billet grill. The improved airflow appears to have fixed my overheating problems. I also have a Nomex honeycomb radiator protector and it does not seem to increase coolant temps at all.

Has anyone figured out the tiger hood as to any temp help from it? I am sure it helps being the real deal as to air getting out of the hood but wanted to show myself that maybe I need this mod ::)

TMO Supporting Vendors